• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

FiiO's upcoming M17 is something worth watching for (and putting thru the bench test wringer)

m8o

Forum Donor
While FiiO's low to midrange daps/dac-amps failed to impress in tests here, their current TOTL DAP, the M15, was pretty competent and worth the $ imo.

Well, TOTL DAP, move on over... I have the highest of hopes they continue that competency to the following, that I can forsee myself owning:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...jack-expected-release-after-july-2021.954441/

(This was an embargo'd product that accidentally had the beans spilled on it by a 3rd party. FiiO has since acknowledged that and is speaking openly about its upcoming release.)

This is a pretty insane level of tech they are shoehorning in there! Tho, I do hope that FiiO is more successful with their THX 788 offering than Monoprice was (based on the bench test here).

Last edited:

Tks

Major Contributor
I wonder, does AKM plan to reopen operations, or is everyone seemingly moving on as they've suffered a fatal blow or something?

I prefer ESS, so it's not that I really care all that much anywho.

This device looks pretty neat, seems like a portable DAC+AMP combo in a form factor not seen before. Seems nice for people who move around a lot and must have their audio converter with them. Though I really am not sure why not get something like a DACAMP, and something like one of the countless LG phones now selling for very little as a dedicated DAP.

Really wish they wouldn't include silly things like RGB lighting (good reason why phones don't sport this). I would imagine every millimeter in a device like this is precious).

Veri

Master Contributor
I wonder, does AKM plan to reopen operations, or is everyone seemingly moving on as they've suffered a fatal blow or something?
I prefer ESS, so it's not that I really care all that much anywho.
There's just too much uncertainty. We're looking at like a year before they maybe recover operations. Maybe they scrap the whole product line altogether and outsource it to another factory with possible required redesigns and more delays. In any case, those dependant on AKM chips are looking at long delays and price increases, almost certainly.

So the logical choice is to start on new designs using other manufacturer's chips. It's a shame but that's the logical thing to do.

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
Based on that number i don't want to know how expensive it's going to be, jeeez and we thought graphics cards were getting ridiculous.

OP
M

m8o

Forum Donor
Has been priced for a few months.

Those measurements aren't too helpful, not to me. Want to see the things shown here.

thunderchicken

Based on that number i don't want to know how expensive it's going to be, jeeez and we thought graphics cards were getting ridiculous.
The price of the M15 was already ridiculous. I'm willing to spend about $500 on a /really/ good DAP. I have an original X5 and had looked at some of the lower end Astell & Kern stuff and the Opus DAP. I've since moved on to the ES100 and Quedelix streaming from my phone. I'd go back to a DAP if I got noticeably better SQ, but I just haven't seen it in a price range that makes sense. The M15 put 20db of SINAD between it and bluetooth dongles, which should do it, but the price turned me away. I spent less than that on my desktop rig- a D70 and Drop THX 789. I think what most people want is a miniature DX3 Pro that runs android and takes multi-TB SD cards with 10 hours of battery life. Haven't seen anything like that performance in a portable package yet at any price, let alone under $500.

OP
M

m8o

Forum Donor
To each his or her own. If I was working (I'm on mental sabbatical by choice atm) I'd buy this. I heard a "smoothness" from the AM3C THX module over all the others I have for the X7 (I have most all the amp modules, but one), and what I use exclusively now. And I am quite confident I would like the presentation of this, plus the near limitless power; of course not 'limitless', just a colorful cliche, but it is capable of blowing up all my headphones except maybe my HE-1K [v1]. ;) going to spend the $$$ on a Samsung Note Fold and galaxy watch instead. Haha

OP
M

m8o

Forum Donor
@WolfX-700 , I read today that you extensively tested the K9pro and worked with FiiO, and published those measurements.

So wondering, do you have a M17 in your hands too (hoping it is a final version, not a development version as was the case with the K9pro). If so can we expect to see your test results one day too? Thank you in advance.

OP
M

m8o

Forum Donor
@WolfX-700 posted on his blog that he's currently recovering in hospital.
Ah. Thank you for the fyi.

(Just saw this now. Didn't get notified. This forum is so hit or miss, mainly miss by far, regarding post update notification. )

Veri

Master Contributor
Ah. Thank you for the fyi.

(Just saw this now. Didn't get notified. This forum is so hit or miss, mainly miss by far, regarding post update notification. )
Thankfully he's made 3 more articles since and should be out of the hospital :)..

Reactions: m8o
OP
M

m8o

Forum Donor
Thankfully he's made 3 more articles since and should be out of the hospital :)..

But still no guarantee the M17 is in the pipeline.

Veri

Master Contributor
But still no guarantee the M17 is in the pipeline.
No.. Amir has got way more Fiio products so far so I would rather bet on him. Also curious about the new Fiio K5 Pro ESS..

OP
M

m8o

Forum Donor
No.. Amir has got way more Fiio products so far so I would rather bet on him. Also curious about the new Fiio K5 Pro ESS..
I'm guessing then this is not the ESS version?

https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/measurements-of-fiio-k5-pro-dacheadphoneamp/

Doesn't look too hot tho whatever it may be. And I'll add, it's the variance in measurements between something like that vs. the M15 (auto-uncorrect changed that to MAT for some stupid reason) that I want to see measurements of the M17 before I commit to buy.

Last edited:
OP
M

m8o

Forum Donor
@WolfX-700 ... please correct me if I am wrong, but are you the person behind L7AudioLab .com? If so, I'm wondering if you got or are planning to get your hands on a FiiO M17, and will be testing it as thoroughly as the recent iBasso bench tests you made? Fingers crossed to hear good news, please advise.

Veri

Master Contributor
@WolfX-700 ... please correct me if I am wrong, but are you the person behind L7AudioLab .com? If so, I'm wondering if you got or are planning to get your hands on a FiiO M17, and will be testing it as thoroughly as the recent iBasso bench tests you made? Fingers crossed to hear good news, please advise.
He is. But I don't think he is active here on ASR, anymore.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@m8o just like ASR, L7Audiolab depends on its members to send in equipment for testing.
If you want to see measurements for the Fiio M17, consider purchasing one, drop shipping it to WolfX-700, then letting him send it to you.
You can contact him via this email: [email protected]

nyxnyxnyx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
While the measurements and the functionalities could be great, I've tried it extensively for the last 2 weeks.
In reality, to me, it sounds kinda mediocre in comparison with other well-received DAPs.
I would even go further and said some of the USP of M17 is just a marketing stunt for uninformed customers.

Top Bottom