• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fiio Q5s Portable DAC & THX Headphone Amp Review

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
To me it would be amazing if @amirm could measure the apple dongle, that would be an incredible contribution to the community since so many people use that for music listening, a benchmark if there has to be one. Of course IOS devices being input less it's a bit more tricky, you have to upload the files to the phone but isn't it the case for every usb measurments? I don't see USB outs on the apx555? But they advertise Asio drivers, I'm a bit confuse on how USB measurments are performed. In all cases even tough Lightning is a usb connection, Apple being apple it won't talk to non IOS devices. Maybe it could also be a legal nightmare. I assume you can post measurment of a FIIO device without hassle, but I wonder if Apple would let unflattering results float around on the internet, regardless if he has the right to publish that I assume, still Apple is strong enough to shut down this site if they feel like it. Wondering if it's why it hasn't been done yet, since the dongle is less than 10 bucks and Iphones are certainly easy to borrow for a few hours. To me the apple Dongle is subjectively not a good sounding audio output device, but agree with most here that subjectivity can't always be trusted.
It has excellent sound but of course cannot work with every ear/headphone out there, and volume might be an issue for some.

DivineCurrent

Forum Donor
So after seeing these Q5s measurements, I have decided to stick with the Q1 MkII instead. I did find something weird in FiiO's official measurements of the Q1 MKII however:

Q1 3.5mm.PNG

Q1 2.5mm.PNG

In this second graph, you can see a rise from 600 Hz all the way through until around 7 kHz. I was wondering if there is a chance this may be audible? I have not used the 2.5mm balanced connection yet, but I want to in the near future. I do not hear any problems with the 3.5mm.
The reason I worry is because this does not show up at all in the below Q5s measurement, except for the obvious rise in low frequencies:

Q5.PNG

Sinquito

I don't think it has enough power for my 600ohm headphone
I have both the Q5s and the NX4 DSD. Regarding power output, the Topping blows the Fiio out of the water on the single ended output. Maybe if you have balanced cables it won't be an issue. I haven't tried 600 ohm headphones, but my 250 ohm Beyer and 300 ohm Senn play very loud at 13 o'clock on the pot, which os halfway to max volume.

Do notice that not all headphones support balanced cables, like my DT1990 or AKG K712 pro, also balanced is usually noiser that single ended. A cheaper balanced option to me would be the Fiio BTR5, which is very slick and Bluetooth also.

Last edited:

tential

If Fiio is interested in reverting this severe loss of reputation they should send in asap the best mobile device they currently have on sale, that is the M15.

You're mistaking highest costing for best measuring... In schiit and jds, I believe lower cost devices currently have best measurements.

Don't mistake cost for measuring best.

Go look through all the dap reviews currently on this site and see if you see any relationship between cost and measurements.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You're mistaking highest costing for best measuring... In schiit and jds, I believe lower cost devices currently have best measurements.

Don't mistake cost for measuring best.

Go look through all the dap reviews currently on this site and see if you see any relationship between cost and measurements.

Has any DAP shown any degree of decent performance here? Not dongles or portable DAC/amps. Full on self contained music player. I dont recall one.

EDIT- looks like the review index needs updating as I know a Sony was reviewed recently (crap)- not showing under DAP on the index. Also, looks like iBasso do well with SINAD over 100, and a Cowon. on the basis of 1 review each, Sony and Hiby- not so much. I dread to think how my A&K SR15 would do- not well I suspect!

Last edited:

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
Has any DAP shown any degree of decent performance here? Not dongles or portable DAC/amps. Full on self contained music player. I dont recall one.

EDIT- looks like the review index needs updating as I know a Sony was reviewed recently (crap)- not showing under DAP on the index. Also, looks like iBasso do well with SINAD over 100, and a Cowon. on the basis of 1 review each, Sony and Hiby- not so much. I dread to think how my A&K SR15 would do- not well I suspect!
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/dac/astell-kern-norma-sr15.php#gsc.tab=0

tential

That's what I found as well but the hiby I think was only audible at higher volumes and has more power.

None are amazing, but the Ibasso and cowon were OK.

I wouldn't buy any dap with an expectation of good measurements. It's purely to have it all in one device.

Topping just released their own Bluetooth version of what looks like the radsone es100, but they say it can connect to portable dac/amps for adding Bluetooth functionality.

That's currently my next hope/prayer.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
I also think that while we come to this community because we believe in helping audio firms develop better engineered gear that measures well, we also need to consider that audibility is still the ultimate measurement. If a device in question has issues, but those issues are not audible, as a device for listening to music would the device still not be up to the task? I personally look for measurements that suggest audible problems, or may indicate reliability problems down the road. If a device has everything that I want in terms of features, design, build quality etc., but also inaudible design issues, I would still consider that device. Saying that, if I could at the same time find another device that provides everything I want and measures better, assuming the price points are very similar I would opt for the latter option.

I am thinking specifically with DAPs in mind, I can understand the appeal of an all-in-one device and feel that there absolutely is a market for them. While I use my phone as a source both wired and wirelessly with various devices, and to great effect, that isn't to say that at times for headphone listening that I don't feel that a DAP would be useful. And with the Q5s that will be coming home soon, as I said, I actually found it sounded very nice with my headphones, and I don't think that I have a tin ear. So when it comes home, the fact that it hasn't measured well won't stop me from using and enjoying it. Sure some of the shine has come off and I am disappointed, but that doesn't change my belief in audibility being the line in the sand that I draw.

I hope that FiiO gets their act together as clearly there are several issues with the Q5s/AM3D that seem to be rectifiable through better engineering. I agree with the premise of this community which is that if some devices can and do measure very well then the devices in the same category and price range should also be held to those same standards. Schiit has clearly taken up the challenge and I would happily consider buying gear from them again as I now have confidence that they have the pride and resolve to engineer great devices. It is your turn now FiiO, these results are unacceptable, I will use my Q5s/AM3D and enjoy it, but before I spend more money supporting FiiO I will wait and see if like Schiit that you take these issues seriously. Until then I do not think sloppy engineering should be rewarded.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Yes thank you, it performs very well as a dac. As an headphone amp, more measurments are needed to convince me
Yes, that is where it is limited. As has been pointed out already, it gets all its power from the Lightning or USB-C port, and that needs to be limited not to cause problems with power draw in mobile devices. And remember just how tiny this thing and the Google equivalent are. There's only so much power you can produce in that size of device, even with the most efficient circuitry, because of heat issues.

KeiIto

I just wonder why so many people, including myself, find the sound of Q5/Q5s rather good even though it has quite bad measurement. Low SINAD caused by high harmonic distortion (instead of high noise) might be perceived as a kind of "taste". After all, many tube amps also have a lot of distortion but people won't complain. However, early saturation, poor very slow filter, and insufficient power for the demanding headphones should be more noticeable. Can anyone please suggest possible reasons?

Veri

Master Contributor
I just wonder why so many people, including myself, find the sound of Q5/Q5s rather good even though it has quite bad measurement. Low SINAD caused by high harmonic distortion (instead of high noise) might be perceived as a kind of "taste". After all, many tube amps also have a lot of distortion but people won't complain. However, early saturation, poor very slow filter, and insufficient power for the demanding headphones should be more noticeable. Can anyone please suggest possible reasons?
I think in general people are vastly over-estimating how good our ears are at hearing all the "garbage". It also puts into question all those audiophile comparisons though, if we can't hear crap how could we hear nuances of "detail" and "resolution" etc? ;) anyway getting off-topic lol

A Surfer

Major Contributor
I think in general people are vastly over-estimating how good our ears are at hearing all the "garbage". It also puts into question all those audiophile comparisons though, if we can't hear crap how could we hear nuances of "detail" and "resolution" etc? ;) anyway getting off-topic lol
It is actually a very important point that you mention, hence my last post where I talk about the most important measurement ultimately being what is actually audible. I also completely agree with your last statement, but in places like head-fi no matter how hard I have tried over the years to get people to be open minded about the limitations of our hearing brain, they just insist that the only reason others don't hear the special plankton in the sound is because their gear or ears aren't good enough. Sigh, no wonder Chord can sell $10 000 DACs to members there.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It is actually a very important point that you mention, hence my last post where I talk about the most important measurement ultimately being what is actually audible. I also completely agree with your last statement, but in places like head-fi no matter how hard I have tried over the years to get people to be open minded about the limitations of our hearing brain, they just insist that the only reason others don't hear the special plankton in the sound is because their gear or ears aren't good enough. Sigh, no wonder Chord can sell $10 000 DACs to members there.

Ah but if we all secretly didn't believe in the plankton just a little, we would never buy another dac again until failure.

Erispedia

I actually bought Q5s for the EQ. Since in iOS, Spotify's EQ is useless, and Youtube doesn't have one. Came from Earstudio ES100, and is still looking for an actual upgrade from Q5s, with built in EQ of course. Geez, I even considering getting Surface Go 2 as a transport just so I can use Equalizer APO with any good measured portable DAC. But the Surface doesn't make sense when I already have iPad Pro 2018 :(.

tential

I actually bought Q5s for the EQ. Since in iOS, Spotify's EQ is useless, and Youtube doesn't have one. Came from Earstudio ES100, and is still looking for an actual upgrade from Q5s, with built in EQ of course. Geez, I even considering getting Surface Go 2 as a transport just so I can use Equalizer APO with any good measured portable DAC. But the Surface doesn't make sense when I already have iPad Pro 2018 :(.
There's a mini windows pc that can.

Chuwi minibook for example?

Top Bottom