• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

FiiO FD5 Review (IEM)

Rate this IEM:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 14 6.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 53 25.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 138 67.0%

• Total voters

Blorg

amirm did you use your RME ADI 2 DAC to listen to these. If so did you use the IEM headphone out of the RME or the standard one.
I'd use the IEM port. They are sensitive, even by IEM standards. Quoted sensitivity is 109db/mW but Reference Audio Analyzer measured 117.47 dB/mW / 132.25 dB/V SPL.

This gels with my experience, they get very loud very quick and I have to use them at low gain and low volume on everything.

Kevbaz

What are the sensitivity of these compared to Campfire Holocene. I can’t use my Holocene on my iPad or iPhone through any dongle as they are too loud even on lowest volume on Apple dongle.
Do the FiiO FD5 play at lower volume on Apple or other dongles, I like my hearing and want IEMs I can play at lower volume.
Cheers
Kev

Blorg

What are the sensitivity of these compared to Campfire Holocene. I can’t use my Holocene on my iPad or iPhone through any dongle as they are too loud even on lowest volume on Apple dongle.
Do the FiiO FD5 play at lower volume on Apple or other dongles, I like my hearing and want IEMs I can play at lower volume.
Cheers
Kev
They are quite sensitive by IEM standards, they get louder faster than most IEMs I have. I don't think they are at the level of the Campfire Holocene though, that has extremely low impedance at 5.4Ω and I see references to that needing only 6.99 mVrms for 94dB and Amir measured this one at 30 mV for 94dB. I think this with the Holocene is very specific to that IEM only, I have a lot of IEMs but I don't think I have anything that sensitive.

You could get something like the iFi IE match to reduce the volume.

Kevbaz

They are quite sensitive by IEM standards, they get louder faster than most IEMs I have. I don't think they are at the level of the Campfire Holocene though, that has extremely low impedance at 5.4Ω and I see references to that needing only 6.99 mVrms for 94dB and Amir measured this one at 30 mV for 94dB. I think this with the Holocene is very specific to that IEM only, I have a lot of IEMs but I don't think I have anything that sensitive.

You could get something like the iFi IE match to reduce the volume.
Thanks sounds like the FiiO might be too sensitive for me also, I was looking at the iFi IE match but adds more bulk and complexity.
I will have a look a around at other IEM options.
Cheers
Kev

Blorg

Thanks sounds like the FiiO might be too sensitive for me also, I was looking at the iFi IE match but adds more bulk and complexity.
I will have a look a around at other IEM options.
Cheers
Kev
You might try one of the new planar IEMs, they are not half as hard to drive as some people claim they are, but they are harder to drive than average. Any of these three would be good choices:
  • 7Hz Timeless
  • Letshuoer S12
  • 7Hz Salnotes x Crinacle Dioko
I'd rank all of these above the FD5, too. S12 is probably the closest to the FD5 but I find both brighter but also less harsh in the upper mids/treble, comparitively. 7Hz Timeless is the best for me tonally. Dioko is the leanest with less mid-bass than the others. Very clean. It's also the cheapest.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Cheers
Kev
I can use quite a good range on any dongle I use these on. For the ones that have low and high gain settings I am using around 60-75% of the low gain slider.

staticV3

Master Contributor
What are the sensitivity of these compared to Campfire Holocene.
Amir measured 124.5dB SPL/Vrms for the FD5.
Brent Butterworth measured 134.5dB SPL/Vrms for the Holocene.

Plugged into the same dongle at the same OS volume, the FD5 will be roughly half as loud as the Holocene.

That being said, the FD5 is imo tuned poorly and there are better options for the price.

btom

Thinking about this IEM,in my country(EU) i could buy it for around 220-230USD incl VAT(depends on how "strong" our currency is at the moment)
Is there anything widely available IEM in this price range thats better?

I love the looks of this + the accessories,so if the only tune this needs is pulling back that boomines and correct that peak,or try different tips?i could live with that.

Blorg

Thinking about this IEM,in my country(EU) i could buy it for around 220-230USD incl VAT(depends on how "strong" our currency is at the moment)
Is there anything widely available IEM in this price range thats better?

I love the looks of this + the accessories,so if the only tune this needs is pulling back that boomines and correct that peak,or try different tips?i could live with that.

I would get one of the new planars. 7Hz Timeless if you want to stretch to that, I do think that's the best. Shuoer S12 is also very good but slightly less balanced and brighter. Note while the S12 is very bright and sparkly I do not get the harshness I get from the FD5 stock, before EQ. So it has both better treble and detail, but also less harsh. The Dioko at $99 is also very good and better tuned, although its bass is pushed down a little too far.

If you prefer a dynamic driver, the Moondrop Kato is substantially better tuned than the FD5 and sounds a lot better. For that matter for much less money the Moondrop Aria (original version) is also better tuned. The Tripowin Olina is another option, with more ear gain, closer to Harman. I personally prefer a LITTLE less in that region, I prefer IEF neutral to Harman. Harman is too shouty and intense and becomes fatiguing. But the bigger issue is the wobble, if you can get something that is smooth through that region, I am happy with more of it.

These are all available from AliExpress which ships to Europe, there may be other options.

Older single DD options which are also very good include the Drop JVC FDX-1 (excellent, but very little bass) or the Tanchjim Oxygen.

The one thing the FD5 does above the planars is sense of visceral bass impact. That is distinct on the FD5, and the one thing it does particularly well. But, the tuning on it is just off. The bass is too boomy, with too much mid-bass, and the ear gain region is wobbly and harsh. This second one is a major flaw which only gets more irritating with time. It's actually very similar in this region to $10 KZ, which have the exact same problem, it has that exact same triple peak through that region.

1661746653343.png

While EQ does help a lot with fixing this and Amir's EQ both cuts the mid-bass and smooths over those peaks, I do prefer to have IEMs that aren't this off in the first place, and there are many that don't have this problem and are both less boomy in the bass and a lot smoother through that region.

therobin

I currently have Blessing 2 I use wth Topping L30/E30 combo and EQ from my PC. I am looking to sell the blessing 2 and replace it with either the FD5 or the Timeless 7hz.

The two things about the Blessing I am looking to get away from is the BA sound and ear tips. The ear tips I find are poor design and always coming off the IEM when I pull them out of my ear causing the ear tip to actually get stuck in my ear sometimes and falling off others. I actually lost one tip this way one when I pulled it out and the ear tip fell down somewhere.

I was considering the FD5 because it looks like a comes a great selection of tips and the two nozzle sizes look like it will be a great perk for me since my ear canals are different sizes (I always use smaller ear tips on my left ear). However, it seems from reading through here, the timeless has better detail/smoothness? Is this correct? I wouldn't mind getting a smoother reponse from my IEMs for when I use it on my cell phone away from my computer. The cost savings would also be welcomed. How is the ear tips on the timeless? And which of the two have better ear tip security when attached to the IEM?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I currently have Blessing 2 I use wth Topping L30/E30 combo and EQ from my PC. I am looking to sell the blessing 2 and replace it with either the FD5 or the Timeless 7hz.

The two things about the Blessing I am looking to get away from is the BA sound and ear tips. The ear tips I find are poor design and always coming off the IEM when I pull them out of my ear causing the ear tip to actually get stuck in my ear sometimes and falling off others. I actually lost one tip this way one when I pulled it out and the ear tip fell down somewhere.

I was considering the FD5 because it looks like a comes a great selection of tips and the two nozzle sizes look like it will be a great perk for me since my ear canals are different sizes (I always use smaller ear tips on my left ear). However, it seems from reading through here, the timeless has better detail/smoothness? Is this correct? I wouldn't mind getting a smoother reponse from my IEMs for when I use it on my cell phone away from my computer. The cost savings would also be welcomed. How is the ear tips on the timeless? And which of the two have better ear tip security when attached to the IEM?
Don't buy new iems for tips. Spinfit CP155 in maybe small and medium.

Blorg

I have the Blessing 2 as well as the FD5. Blessing 2 is a much, much better IEM, IMO. I wouldn't go to the FD5, go for the Timeless. It's much better tuned with less boomy bass and smoother through the ear gain region.

If you wanted a DD get the Moondrop Kato, it's closer to the Blessing 2 tuning and is tuned a lot better than the FD5.

Don't buy an IEM because of the tips, you can get aftermarket tips. I use Whizzer SS20 on the FD5 and Timeless, SpinFit CP155 on the Blessing 2 and Azla Xelastec on the Blessing 2 Dusk. The Kato, I use the stock Spring Tips though, they are great. Like @Jimbob54 suggests, worth trying different tips on the Blessing 2 like CP155 (or Xelastec, even more secure). But if you have small ears, I get whatever you use, the B2 is a very large nozzle IEM.

therobin

My issues with the tips is not the fit, but they literally come off the nozzle itself. The only way those aftermarket tips will help is if they fit tighter to the nozzle itself. Can you confirm they hug the nozzle more than the stock tips? Seems the nozzle is poorly designed to hold the tips.

Seems like I might have to try out the timeless then. I did prefer defiantly planar over DD when I used to use headphones. Just never tried them in IEMs.

Emlin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You've already said that you want to get away from the BA "sound", so stop saying that it is all about the tips.

Don't go with the fd5 because of the smaller nozzles. They sound spectacularly shit. Really.

Do stop going round in circles with your posts. I love the fd5s, but I won't recommend them to someone who doesn't know what they want.

therobin

You've already said that you want to get away from the BA "sound", so stop saying that it is all about the tips.

Don't go with the fd5 because of the smaller nozzles. They sound spectacularly shit. Really.

Do stop going round in circles with your posts. I love the fd5s, but I won't recommend them to someone who doesn't know what they want.
Wow relax and slow down. Where did I say it was "all about the tips"? I clearly stated there are two reasons I am considering a change, sound and tips. Someone suggested a solution to one. Am I not allowed to inquire as to whether that will resolve one of my issues while still considering for the second factor as well?

Blorg

@therobin tips coming off is just not a reason to change IEM, if you get tighter tips they won't come off. If the nozzles were much too big for your ear I'd understand, that's a common issue with the Blessing 2.

As to the sound for sure try other stuff but you may end up very disappointed. The Blessing 2 isn't perfect but it's very very good and punches well above its price. You may try several other IEMs and particularly if they are cheaper ones they may not sound better. Or they may to you, as it is personal preference. Only way you can find out is to listen to them. If the issue is coherence and you like the general tonality though the Kato is IMO the best single DD option.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Azla Xelastec on the Blessing 2 Dusk
I was looking at these- do they come in different bore/ core sizes or universal? If different, what size for the B2? I tried my Moondrop Spin tips on the B2 and like the fit in my ears but the core gets a bit stretched by the B2 nozzle.

Blorg

I was looking at these- do they come in different bore/ core sizes or universal? If different, what size for the B2? I tried my Moondrop Spin tips on the B2 and like the fit in my ears but the core gets a bit stretched by the B2 nozzle.
They only come in one size, 3.6mm. This is much smaller than the B2 nozzle but it nevertheless fits, you have to stretch it a bit but it fits and it's not even that hard to get on. At least if you aren't concerned with keeping the B2 filters on, I gave up on them pretty quick.

The material will actually permanently stretch over time, it deforms under human body temperature and while the primary effect of this is on the fit with the outside moulding to your ear shape, the core will also stretch.

I have split one of them, once, but only once and I've been using them almost two years now. You do need to accept though that these tips are more disposable than regular silicone tips, not as much as foam but they sit between foam and regular silicone in terms of durability. As the core loosens up with time, they will become loose on the IEM you have them on, this happens with all IEMs I've used them on, not just the Blessing2. When this happens, they can have a tendency to slip off in your ear when taking them out, you can still use them with care but around the time this happens is maybe time to consider replacing them.

I can still get maybe a year out of them but they are something you have to accept you will need to replace occasionally. The benefit is the really good fit that gets better over the first few sessions as they mould to your ear, fantastic retention, and a very open short tip that doesn't get in the way of the sound at all.

DSC03758.JPG

Kosta

Ok I am torn between this and the blessing 2 (dusk or reular) . I am comming from Arias which I love but want to go to the next level. Considering anything in the $200 - $300 range. Fd5 measured much better but I have a feeling I might like the b2 more being used to moondrops. Suggestions?

Top Bottom