• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

fiio e17k Alpen2 or Cambridge DacMagic 100

Bootstrap

Hi!

I have a simple setup formed by a fiio e17k Alpen2 DAC connected to a Fiio k5 headphone amplifier (the old version, not the k5 pro).
In addition to providing output to my headset, this setup connects to my Edifier r1280 speakers.
I'm happy with this setup, but I miss more digital inputs on my k5 (it only has one digital input: PC USB)

These days I found a Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100 DAC at a fair price.

Here I come to the point of my doubt:

in relation to DAC, would I gain or lose quality using the Cambridge DacMagic instead of the Fiio E17k? I know that the Cambridge DacMagic 100 is already a product with almost 10 years of launch, but I would like to know if there is a significant difference between it and the Fiio E17k.

Another doubt: if the DAC Magic 100 is a device superior to the Fiio E17k, my idea is to use the DACMagic 100 as DAC and connect the DacMagic 100 RCA output to the RCA input of my headphone amplifier (Fiio k5).
Is this the way connection is made? I really am a beginner. I think that this way I would be able to keep a good option for using the headset, since the DacMagic 100 has no headphone output.

I really appreciate the attention to my case. Below I will link the information of the equipment of my setup.
Thank you very much!

FiiO E17K Alpen II review (english version) | Sound News
FiiO K5 Review - Headfonics.com
K5_parameters (fiio.com)
DacMagic 100 - Digital to Analogue Converter | Cambridge Audio US

Attachments

• k5-e17k.jpg
    k5-e17k.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 110
  • dac100-1.jpg
    dac100-1.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 138
  • dac100-2.jpg
    dac100-2.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 102
  • k5-1.jpg
    k5-1.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 108

nerdstrike

I've got a Dacmagic 100. It's "fine", relatively idiot proof, and benefits from 4 inputs. Measured by ASR

The measured SINAD of 100dB is plenty for a CD quality experience, but it's eclipsed by excellence of other products. Ironically your headphone amp has better DAC performance than the Dacmagic 100. If the offer is suitably cheap, you could use the Dacmagic for spdif/digital coax connections, but still use the USB input on your K5. However, you could most likely replace both products with something better without breaking the bank.

You have the right of it w.r.t. connectivity, but bear in mind that more links in the chain usually amounts to more noise and surprises, so daisy-chaining through the headphone amp on the way to another amplifier/active speaker may have a modest negative impact on signal. Will it matter to your ears? Who can say?

Top Bottom