• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fiio E10K TC worth it over previous version?

Cifer

[If a Moderator sees this, would you please move the thread to the Headphone Amp section? I accidentally posted it here. Thank you!]

Hello everyone,

I was wondering whether or would be worth it purchasing the latest Fiio E10K model called TC - used for 60 - euros over the previous Olympus 2 version, which would cost me around 30-40 used.

I don't care much about spending 30 Euros more or less, but if the current version isn't noticeably better I will probably stick with the older one.

I need it mostly to make my Sennheiser HD 560s loud enough with every device (some laptops are simply too quiet even at max volume).

In which situations would the newer version make a difference? Would you recommend that version or the older one?

And are there currently any good alternatives I should consider too?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
In which situations would the newer version make a difference?
-you need to play 384kHz files via USB
-you need to use a Type-C cable
-you need to output 192kHz via S/PDIF

Sound quality is identical between the two.
Would you recommend that version or the older one?
At MSRP, neither tbh, they both use pretty outdated designs and components. $30-40 for the O2 is a good deal though.
And are there currently any good alternatives I should consider too?
If you like the form factor and physical volume knob, I'd recommend the Topping DX1. Someone managed to snatch one on AliExpress for just under $70, see here. The current price is $85.

Other alternatives are: Fiio New K3, ifi Zen Air DAC, or Ugreen 80583 if you don't mind the form factor.

OP
C

Cifer

Thanks a lot! Would you mind ranking these in order of performance and give me an idea what a good price would be for them when buying used?

And is there some consensus on what a reasonable "endgame" amp + dac combo would be if I am not planning to ever purchase a high impedance headphone?

Last edited:

B00tySalads

-you need to play 384kHz files via USB
-you need to use a Type-C cable
-you need to output 192kHz via S/PDIF

Sound quality is identical between the two.

At MSRP, neither tbh, they both use pretty outdated designs and components. $30-40 for the O2 is a good deal though.

If you like the form factor and physical volume knob, I'd recommend the Topping DX1. Someone managed to snatch one on AliExpress for just under $70, see here. The current price is $85.

Other alternatives are: Fiio New K3, ifi Zen Air DAC, or Ugreen 80583 if you don't mind the form factor.
You think for $50 as a DAC/amp, the E10k is a good value for performance until you get into the $100 range for a iFi Zen Air DAC or DX1?

Also: according to Fiio, the type C has a different USB controller, and can go beyond 96khz sampling rate (not sure if the diff above 96 is that useful?)

Top Bottom