• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fiio E10K still viable for HD6XX?

Transmaniacon

Hi all, I want an inexpensive DAC/Amp combo for my desktop to power my Sennheiser HD6XX. I currently just have it plugged into the PC front port, but want something that puts the cable in a better location for me and will offer good enough sound quality. Is the Fiio E10K still a decent choice for $70? I know ASR recommends it, but that was almost 3 years ago, not sure if something better has come along or if it will do the job well for my needs.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For driving the 300-Ohm Sennheiser/Massdrop HD6XX headphones, I would spend more money.

OP
Transmaniacon

Transmaniacon

For driving the 300-Ohm Sennheiser/Massdrop HD6XX headphones, I would spend more money.
Maybe start with the Atom amp or Schiit Heresy then? I can add a DAC at a later time.

dresler

Yes, the E10K is perfectly fine for the HD6XX. It's good for ~2.5 volts or so and distortion/noise is more than low enough to be a non-issue.

FWIW, I have owned the E10K and used it to great effect with my HD600.

OP
Transmaniacon

Transmaniacon

Yes, the E10K is perfectly fine for the HD6XX. It's good for ~2.5 volts or so and distortion/noise is more than low enough to be a non-issue.

FWIW, I have owned the E10K and used it to great effect with my HD600.
Thanks! I mainly just want a plug in on my desk that’s better than my onboard PC Audio. I don’t do any critical listening on my PC.

OP
Transmaniacon

Transmaniacon

A Schiit stack or even their little all-in-one would work great for your needs.
Yeah I was trying to spend less than $200 for a stack, while it’s nitpicky, the red and black scheme of the Schiit Fulla looks bad to me. They don’t offer it in silver it seems.

twsecrest

Yeah I was trying to spend less than $200 for a stack, while it’s nitpicky, the red and black scheme of the Schiit Fulla looks bad to me. They don’t offer it in silver it seems.
Guessing you could just paint the outside of the Fulla to whatever color you like.

thunderchicken

I've been able to play with the Hel and the Fulla and both do exactly what they're supposed to. I dig the black and red, but everything is a matter of taste. You're going to have a hard time finding a stack under $200 unless you go portable. The Quedelix, for example. Those are pretty good.

OP
Transmaniacon

Transmaniacon

I've been able to play with the Hel and the Fulla and both do exactly what they're supposed to. I dig the black and red, but everything is a matter of taste. You're going to have a hard time finding a stack under $200 unless you go portable. The Quedelix, for example. Those are pretty good.
Yeah I mainly just want something to give me a headphone jack on my desk, that won’t be poor sounding.

Last edited:

innervisions

what's your setup now? i just bought the hd6xx and the e10k... wondering if i should return the e10k and get something else

tamasorosz

Just keep it. I also use the same combo with my PC and it is perfectly fine for casual listening (e.g., Youtube, occasional gaming) at normal volume level.

My only complaint with the E10K is that it has a minor channel imbalance at low volumes, if paired with more sensitive IEMs.

JABrown

I've used the THX Onyx with my 6xx and have been very happy with it. I see that it is now available on Amazon for$129, considerably less than what I paid for mine.

Joe Smith

I still use a v1 Schiit Fulla for this purpose, also an older Fiio E7. Both sound fine. The E7 has its nice bass boost feature. I think for a decent easily portable solution, the Fiio E10 is still a good solution... There are some new dongles too, like the one from Moondrop, that would work well for this purpose.

Top Bottom