• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fiio D5 DAC, Headphone Amp and ADC Review

Lotus97

according to BDWoody, this DAC will perform and sound the same as the new DX7 dac.

Ceburaska

Forum Donor
No. Charles was not a hero by any means....
Absolutist monarch vs religious fundamentalist who banned Christmas...thankfully modern politics has improved our choices.

XGEOX

Suggestion to the owner of the DAC - learn how to use Internet search engines: http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/11/fiio-d5-dac.html

This seems a rather condescending way to respond to an owner that has kindly donated one of their possessions for our collective benefit.

Personally, I'm grateful to everyone that has loaned/donated devices to Amrim for testing, and would not mock such a person for owning a device that has a flaw or doesn't happen to measure well.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
according to BDWoody, this DAC will perform and sound the same as the new DX7 dac.

Why don't you quote where I said that.

You continue to misrepresent me and others in your pursuit of...what again?

Edit: what I claim, is that competently designed, transparent by measurement DAC's will be effectively indistinguishable in terms of sound quality, regardless of features or price.

You somehow turn that into your claim above.

This device is neither competent, nor transparent.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
This seems a rather condescending way to respond to an owner that has kindly donated one of their possessions for our collective benefit.

Personally, I'm grateful to everyone that has loaned/donated devices to Amrim for testing, and would not mock such a person for owning a device that has a flaw or doesn't happen to measure well.
I do agree, for all we know he received it with another product or was gifted it. It's in everyone's interest to see this independent review regardless...

Lotus97

Why don't you quote where I said that.

You continue to misrepresent me and others in your pursuit of...what again?

Edit: what I claim, is that competently designed, transparent by measurement DAC's will be effectively indistinguishable in terms of sound quality, regardless of features or price.

You somehow turn that into your claim above.

This device is neither competent, nor transparent.

You said: "DAC's are not magical...they do not create music. They take a digital signal, follow instructions, then send out an electrical one. Nothing more...nothing less.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...measurements-of-sabaj-d5-dac-amp.8337/page-45

according to that logic this Fiio should still deliver the same SQ as Topping DX7 or Sabaj D5 because all it does is sends out a electrical signal.

Or maybe when a DAC delivers a transparent and competent signal maybe it is creating music to the speakers;)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
You said: "DAC's are not magical...they do not create music. They take a digital signal, follow instructions, then send out an electrical one. Nothing more...nothing less.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...measurements-of-sabaj-d5-dac-amp.8337/page-45

according to that logic this Fiio should still deliver the same SQ as Topping DX7 or Sabaj D5 because all it does is sends out a electrical signal.

Or maybe when a DAC delivers a transparent and competent signal maybe it is creating music to the speakers;)

Are you purposely missing the point...again?

I stand by that quote 100%.

No need to continue to go over well covered ground. Have you worked out the details with @ahofer and his $10k offer yet regarding your claims to hear what no one else has yet been able to demonstrate?

Are you willing to do more than lob misleading crap into threads with unsupported claims?

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To review. Our claim is neither that all DACs sound the same nor that they measure the same.

I claim that DACs (and amps, and different lossless resolutions of the same recording, and cables) that measure similarly (tolerances to be discussed), will be impossible for listeners to tell apart accurately 9/10 times in a blind test, under normal operating/listening conditions. The measurement tolerances will cover a wide price range of equipment (eg DX7 vs well-designed Kilobuck DACs) Another way to think about it, my hypothesis is that there is no audible difference that cannot be measured and is not present in the measurements to a significant degree. Let’s see if it’s right.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
To review. Our claim is neither that all DACs sound the same nor that they measure the same.

I claim that DACs (and amps, and different lossless resolutions of the same recording, and cables) that measure similarly (tolerances to be discussed), will be impossible for listeners to tell apart accurately 9/10 times in a blind test, under normal operating/listening conditions. The measurement tolerances will cover a wide price range of equipment (eg DX7 vs well-designed Kilobuck DACs) Another way to think about it, my hypothesis is that there is no audible difference that cannot be measured and is not present in the measurements to a significant degree. Let’s see if it’s right.

Maybe formalize it with more underwriters and get a big red button on the home page? Consider me a co-sponsor...

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, in all honesty, before I put it up separately, I was hoping for more input on measurement thresholds that we can pre-publish for each category. People considering taking the challenge would consider "tolerances to be discussed"...squirrely. I get that. And my aim is to get people to take it, not just wave it around (although that's fun too).

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor

You are hard of reading. Try again.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Thanks, in all honesty, before I put it up separately, I was hoping for more input on measurement thresholds that we can pre-publish for each category. People considering taking the challenge would consider "tolerances to be discussed"...squirrely. I get that. And my aim is to get people to take it, not just wave it around (although that's fun too).

That's a...'sound' approach...
Can I :facepalm: myself?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I do agree, for all we know he received it with another product or was gifted it. It's in everyone's interest to see this independent review regardless...
It was indeed a 3-piece loan.

Top Bottom