• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

FiiO BTR7 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this portable DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 14 6.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 83 40.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 108 52.2%

• Total voters

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
10-band PEQ is an option with the new firmware. The default is graphical EQ.
FAQ says that EQ is supported for USB sources only with UAC1. This is no worse than Qudelix 5K, which doesn't support UAC2 at all and maxes out at 96/24.
For a screenshot, check this video review:

Thanks!

Are the bands user-selectable?
Yeah, we need to know a bit more about how flexible and extensive this parametric EQ is gonna be on this device.

Nice portable DAC/amp though with the functionality of some parametric EQ (although we don't know the extent), not overly expensive, measures pretty good and balanced out.

aravaioli

Got my BTR7 yesterday and the power measurements of Amir didn't lie: it is not more powerful than my BTR5 unless you select the "boost" option, only available through the Fiio app, where it gets a very modest advantage. SOUND IS VERY SIMILAR and possibly a bit less congested than the BTR5 in some situations.
Mine is going back to the seller but I want to be clear: it is a good product. But I am disappointed at Fiio for its misrepresentation of power output in its specifications.
Nothing like trying yourself, do a favour to yourself and forget the various YouTube promoters. If I didn't have the 5 I would have probably kept it.
However the iFi Go blu has an evident formfactor advantage and the Qudelix has that outstanding app.....

In terms of volume my experience with my Focal Clear Mg with balanced cable to reach 80db was:
BTR5 = BTR7 (40/60 volume)
QUDELIX 5K (90/100 volume)
IFI GO BLU (75/100 volume)

BTR7 with boost would need a volume of 37/60.

With my Arya v2:
BTR5: VOLUME 55/60
BTR7 boost on: Volume 45/60
BTR7 boost off: Volume 54/60

Last edited:

vlad.stoian98

I have a question: can this dac amp run the hd 600 s well? Should I get the chord mojo 2 or this dac amp if I use the IE600 s and the HD600 s. I know the sennheiser iems would sound great on these, but i do not know if the hd 600 would require more power, thanks!

vlad.stoian98

The BTR7 can drive the HD600 to 119dB SPL peak.
That's extremely loud. You don't need more power.
The Mojo 2 is weaker btw.
So I assume that you would recommend this amp dac for the hd 600? 119 dB is really loud, so that would not be a problem. What I want to know is if the sound quality on the HD 600 with the BTR7 would be as good as a desktop amp dac of the same price. Oh yeah, and do you think that it is worth saving some extra money for the mojo 2 over the BTR7? Thanks!

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
So I assume that you would recommend this amp dac for the hd 600? 119 dB is really loud, so that would not be a problem. What I want to know is if the sound quality on the HD 600 with the BTR7 would be as good as a desktop amp dac of the same price. Oh yeah, and do you think that it is worth saving some extra money for the mojo 2 over the BTR7? Thanks!
I honestly think my meizu dongle drives HD600/HD650 to loud levels, I'm below 20/100 listening level on my desktop PC when I tried it.
So I'm sure this BTR7 can drive them no problems... could even go with something cheaper probably depending on what you need.

vlad.stoian98

The thing is I live in Romania so I don't have access to certain amp/dacs. I am looking for a portable amp dac that is great for both portable and desktop use. I want to use it with my macbook air m1 and with my iphone (I use Apple Music so I do not care about the MQA stuff). I have access to Fiio, Ifi, some Topping stuff but none that are portable and Chord I guess. I am currently using a Dragonfly Cobalt, and yes I know that it is kind of a rip-off but I did not know that when I bought it. So I want an acual good amp dac that is great for my HD 600 and IE 600 (my buget is max 400 euro). Thanks for your help I really appreciate it!

Keened

Forum Donor
The thing is I live in Romania so I don't have access to certain amp/dacs. I am looking for a portable amp dac that is great for both portable and desktop use. I want to use it with my macbook air m1 and with my iphone (I use Apple Music so I do not care about the MQA stuff). I have access to Fiio, Ifi, some Topping stuff but none that are portable and Chord I guess. I am currently using a Dragonfly Cobalt, and yes I know that it is kind of a rip-off but I did not know that when I bought it. So I want an acual good amp dac that is great for my HD 600 and IE 600 (my buget is max 400 euro). Thanks for your help I really appreciate it!

If you poke around in the reviews for other (portable) headphone DAC/Amps you'll discover that it doesn't take much to drive those headphones in terms of raw power, and that the biggest difference in sound quality (assuming it meets basic engineering quality) is the ability to use Parametric EQ to correct the frequency response. 95% of the headphone/audio market is made to sell you something you don't need (and sometime they don't even have!). Unusual designs can require unusual hardware, but almost anything worth spending money on doesn't need anything special

I woulld suggest selling the Cobalt before the market collapses for it.

The Qudelix 5K is a good option as is this BTR7, but first try using just PEQ (Neutron Music Player works for iOS). But if you don't need wireless any number of dongles are the way forward.

Keened

Forum Donor
One somewhat annoying feature of the BTR7 I've noticed is it can connect to 2 different BT sources but then you have no way of hard switching them back and forth if the wrong one grabs the focus.

vlad.stoian98

If you poke around in the reviews for other (portable) headphone DAC/Amps you'll discover that it doesn't take much to drive those headphones in terms of raw power, and that the biggest difference in sound quality (assuming it meets basic engineering quality) is the ability to use Parametric EQ to correct the frequency response. 95% of the headphone/audio market is made to sell you something you don't need (and sometime they don't even have!). Unusual designs can require unusual hardware, but almost anything worth spending money on doesn't need anything special

I woulld suggest selling the Cobalt before the market collapses for it.

The Qudelix 5K is a good option as is this BTR7, but first try using just PEQ (Neutron Music Player works for iOS). But if you don't need wireless any number of dongles are the way forward.
Thanks for the reply! I will sell my Cobalt, that is for sure. Sadly the Qudelix 5K is not available in my country so I cannot buy it. The problem with dongle dacs is that while I am on the go with my iphone they drain the battery quite fast (I have an Iphone 13 mini). So in this situation I guess the best option would be a dac amp that has its own battery. What other good options are there, if you do not mind me asking? Thanks again.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Thanks for the reply! I will sell my Cobalt, that is for sure. Sadly the Qudelix 5K is not available in my country so I cannot buy it. The problem with dongle dacs is that while I am on the go with my iphone they drain the battery quite fast (I have an Iphone 13 mini). So in this situation I guess the best option would be a dac amp that has its own battery. What other good options are there, if you do not mind me asking? Thanks again.
The recently released and reviewed Topping G5 is a good, battery-powered DAC+Amp. Here it is attached to an iPhone 13 Mini.

However, it's uselessly powerful for IEMs, big and heavy, expensive, and lacks any kind of EQ.

There are also many other Bluetooth adapters like the Qudelix 5K, though none are as polished.
Here's a list of all of them.

vlad.stoian98

Well
The recently released and reviewed Topping G5 is a good, battery-powered DAC+Amp. Here it is attached to an iPhone 13 Mini.

However, it's uselessly powerful for IEMs, big and heavy, expensive, and lacks any kind of EQ.

There are also many other Bluetooth adapters like the Qudelix 5K, though none are as polished.
Here's a list of all of them.
well i kinda need an amp dac that can power iems and my hd 600 and that has its own battery, are there any better options other than fiio btr7 if i cannot find the topping g5?
Edit: what about the THX onyx, is that a good amp dac that can power my hd 600?

Last edited:

Volikovvv

Im interested in this device, will it be good enough for hifiman edition xs? If someone tested them together, please share your impressions

staticV3

Master Contributor
Will this drive a 600-ohm earbud? I'm considering the purchase of the TGXEar Alpha.
The impedance is not a problem. The BTR7 will even drive 600 000 Ω earbuds, and happily so.
The important part is that the earbud is sensitive enough that whatever voltage your headphone amp can put out is enough to produce usable SPL.
Unfortunately I can't find any specs for the TGXEar Alpha, but the 5.8Vrms that the BTR7 can output should be more than enough.

vlad.stoian98

The impedance is not a problem. The BTR7 will even drive 600 000 Ω earbuds, and happily so.
The important part is that the earbud is sensitive enough that whatever voltage your headphone amp can put out is enough to produce usable SPL.
Unfortunately I can't find any specs for the TGXEar Alpha, but the 5.8Vrms that the BTR7 can output should be more than enough.
Another question, sorry to bother you; I know that you said that the BTR 7 has more than enough power for the HD 600, but would it be good enough for the hd 800s? I know that they have the same impedance and somewhat similar sensitivity but I just want to make sure, thanks!

staticV3

Master Contributor
@vlad.stoian98
The 800S has 105.5dB/Vrms sensitivity according to Amir.
The BTR7 can output 5.8Vrms in Bal Boost.
That'll drive the 800S to 120.8dB SPL.
That's permanent hearing damage levels of volume.

vlad.stoian98

@vlad.stoian98
The 800S has 105.5dB/Vrms sensitivity according to Amir.
The BTR7 can output 5.8Vrms in Bal Boost.
That'll drive the 800S to 120.8dB SPL.
That's permanent hearing damage levels of volume.
Another question: (I am so sorry if I am bothering you); how would the fiio q3 compare with the fiio btr7 in terms of power and dac performance? Would it be a better choice? Thanks!

Top Bottom