• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fiio BTR5 2021

croccodillo

Hello all,

I own few headphones, the most used being an old pair of Sony MDR-7506 (yes, I know, they are ugly and reviews are bad, but I love them).
I currently drive them with an homemade portable power amplifier, quite nice but which has a single 3.5 mm direct input.
The amplifier is mostly connected to my phone, but the phone internal DAC is not really good; I can clearly hear the difference if I drive the amplifier from my desktop DAC.
So, I decided to buy a portable USB-C/Bluetooth DAC/AMP, to replace (or at least help) my current amplifier.
The idea is to use it via USB with the phone, maybe using DSD or HiRes output; and to use Bluetooth when I need to listen to TV during the night (to avoid disturbing the family).
I found a nicely priced, used Fiio BTR5 2021 (I will never use MQA, don't worry) quite close to where I live.
I can test it, but I should have to drive for one hour to reach the owner house.
So, firt to drive there, I'd like to ask you few questions.
Is it worth to buy it?
I can't find any review here, why? Is it my fault?
Moreover, has anyone used it with a Sony MDR-7506 (or something similar)?
Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Giovanni

Beati3

I've had a BTR5 since about April. I find it works really well with my iPhone. I've mostly used it with Fiio FA1s, but I've also used it with Beyerdynamic DT700 Pro X, Moondrop Blessing 2s and Moondrop SSRs. I've also used it attached to a Mac Mini M1. It has a balanced 2.5mm connection that sounds great, but the single ended output is good too. For me, it was worth it, but it depends on what else you have and how you want to use it. I have since bought the HIDIZ S8 Pro, and I find it easier to pop in my pocket when leaving the house, but there's not much in it. The BTR5 doesn't heat up the way the HIDIZ does, which is more pocket friendly. The BTR5 app is good and would let you play with the EQ if you like to get a bit more out of your Sony MDR-7506, but you might like them just the way they are. :)

Good luck with it. I hope it goes well for you.

OP
C

croccodillo

Hello Beati3, thank you for your answer.
In the meantime I decided to buy it; found a second-hand unit, practically new, never used, at a bargain price.
The BTR5 is really amazing.
I used it with the MDR7506, an ATH-M50X and different IEMs, it has been able to drive all of them flawlessly.
I use it with my android phone and Neutron Player; the app is really complete, even if difficult to be used, but with it you can control finely the audio.
BTR5 + Neutron Player = wonderful audio rig.

OP
C

croccodillo

Oh, of course the BTR5 Is connected via USB to the smartphone: this grants the higher level of resolution.
I've also used it via Bluetooth with my TV set: the reception is fantastic.
While my Soundpeats T2 loose connection if I move away from the TV (at 6/7 meters) the BTR5 connection and audio are rock solid even if I move in another room (10 meters, with walls in between).

Top Bottom