• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fiio BTR3 Review (Portable DAC & Bluetooth Receiver)

Blorg

The BTR3 is a low power BT dongle designed for driving IEMs, it seems peculiar to test it with HD650s. This just isn't the intended use case. It's meant to make your wired IEMs wireless. I have it, and use it with IEMs, and for that use I'm really not sure the power level is a problem. I wouldn't use it with overears.

It's discontinued now, replaced by the BTR3K. This is still a relatively low power device designed for driving IEMs, but has dual DACs with substantially more power on the balanced output.

The BTR5 is really the sort of device you need if you want something for high impedance overears. If looking at Fiio devices. Or, the Qudelix 5K which probably is the better device overall but uses the same ESS DAC and seems to measure pretty similarly.

Strato007

Hey! I just wanted any of these shity devices to connect my earphones/headphones (some IEM and the HD650) to listen to movies from the tv while my wife is sleeping.
I didn't want to spend a hundred bucks in this so I got the new BTR3K... Cheap and good Bluetooth codecs. I believe the DAC is also good and fun. I am a little bit tired of ESS cold sound.
What do you think? Should I cancel the order and go for qudelix 5k??

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Hey! I just wanted any of these shity devices to connect my earphones/headphones (some IEM and the HD650) to listen to movies from the tv while my wife is sleeping.
I didn't want to spend a hundred bucks in this so I got the new BTR3K... Cheap and good Bluetooth codecs. I believe the DAC is also good and fun. I am a little bit tired of ESS cold sound.
What do you think? Should I cancel the order and go for qudelix 5k??
If the specs <https://www.fiio.com/btr3k> are to be believed, this fixes the problems with the one Amir tested. Output power is 25 mW, similar to that of the Apple USB-C headphone adapter, so if you have one of those you can see if that's enough. Build/finish looks great on the website.

As for "cold" ESS sound, you mean accurate? ;-)

Strato007

If the specs <https://www.fiio.com/btr3k> are to be believed, this fixes the problems with the one Amir tested. Output power is 25 mW, similar to that of the Apple USB-C headphone adapter, so if you have one of those you can see if that's enough. Build/finish looks great on the website.

As for "cold" ESS sound, you mean accurate? ;-)
Yes. Accurate and very precise. I also have a LG G8X and Zorloo Stella with ESS DAC.
For AK, I have a little Shanling M1 DAP and a desktop DAC Topping E30.
Despite of the "spatial" effect of ESS, AK sounds more natural and nice to listen to music in general.

Hope what you said about the Fiio was true. I will write a review comparing with Apple iPhone lightning DAC.

Thanks for answering

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Yes. Accurate and very precise. I also have a LG G8X and Zorloo Stella with ESS DAC.
For AK, I have a little Shanling M1 DAP and a desktop DAC Topping E30.
Despite of the "spatial" effect of ESS, AK sounds more natural and nice to listen to music in general.

Hope what you said about the Fiio was true. I will write a review comparing with Apple iPhone lightning DAC.

Thanks for answering
I'm just guessing, based on the specs on the website. Can you return it if it's no good?

I nearly mentioned the Lightning adapter (I have one myself) but thought the USB-C one was more likely.

Does your TV have built-in BT or are you using a separate transmitter?

Strato007

I'm just guessing, based on the specs on the website. Can you return it if it's no good?

I nearly mentioned the Lightning adapter (I have one myself) but thought the USB-C one was more likely.

Does your TV have built-in BT or are you using a separate transmitter?
Yes. I can return it if it is not good.

If USB-C adapter is better than the old Lightning, I am very good. What I have felt connecting Lightning DAC adapter with the Senn HD650 is good sound but lack of bass and body in sound. So if the USB-C is slightly better, I think I am good, otherwise, I will use Soundmagic earbuds and that’s it… for the time using, I am not want to spend more money… I would buy a DAC 100 watt Amp for passive speakers instead.

Strato007

I have received my BTR3K from AliExpress and my very first impression is relly good. I did connect my Senn HD650 and it sounded nice! I mean, compared with my Ztella, this Fiio sounds more bold, warm with no hiss in the area of high frequencies and also with good volume!. I believe it is a really good option to listen to music (LDAC or APTX HD) or TV through bluetooth a really good price.

Strato007

Following the topic, battery got empty after an hour of TV with Senna HD650...
That said, what Headphones (Open back preferably would you recommend). I saw the Senn HD280pro and the Audiothecnica M30x but I have no references. I really don't want something very expensive.

The BTR3K has the following specs:

Suitable headphones impedance 16 – 100 Ω
Output impedance ⩽ 0.3 Ω (single-ended)
⩽0.5Ω(balanced)
Maximum output power Single-ended output:
50mW (16Ω)
25mW (32Ω)
balanced:
40mW (16Ω)
78mW (32Ω)

It is mostly for watching TV/movies.
Thank you all for your comments

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
That said, what Headphones (Open back preferably would you recommend). I saw the Senn HD280pro and the Audiothecnica M30x but I have no references. I really don't want something very expensive.

The BTR3K has the following specs:

Suitable headphones impedance 16 – 100 Ω
Output impedance ⩽ 0.3 Ω (single-ended)
⩽0.5Ω(balanced)
Maximum output power Single-ended output:
50mW (16Ω)
25mW (32Ω)
balanced:
40mW (16Ω)
78mW (32Ω)

It is mostly for watching TV/movies.
Thank you all for your comments
An hour?? Say what?

ttshaw1

Is there any chance Amir will measure the BTR3K? I'm looking for a relatively cheap, portable Bluetooth adapter and it seems like the BTR3K should fit the bill if it fixed the BTR3's problems. But I'd like to see measurements to confirm before I pull the trigger.

Blorg

I'd keep the HD650 and get the Qudelix 5K, it is more suitable for that headphone. Qudelix 5K will power the HD650 very well and I haven't sat down and measured it but for sure for longer than an hour.

Top Bottom