• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fiio A5 Portable Headphone Amp Review

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Never really tried my A5 with anything other than IEMs and a few portable cans, but today I have been trying a few of my headphones, and this little amp has not struggled one bit. ATH-R70x, LCD-2, Clear, no problems with plenty of power to spare. Will try the 600ohm Beyer T1.2 and the HiFiMan HE-6se and let you all know.

confucius_zero

Please update "Amplifier best case sinad" pictures with the score of the A5 :)

Xyrium

Forum Donor
Hey Amir,

I know this one is long in the tooth already, but I'm wondering if your measurements would benefit from not connecting USB power to your PC in the future. I bought two or three of those cheap inline USB power (V, I, and W) meters, and oddly enough, all three seem to match the output of each other when measuring.

That said, using my PC USB to charge stuff, I see the output go from 5-5.1V, then drop instantly down to 4.8-4.9V and fluctuate once connected to even a mouse. I suppose that's probably within the spec of most devices, but who knows who large that swing could be from other motherboards?

I'm just throwing this out there, because I have an A5, and I literally leave it plugged in all of the time during use, as it's connected to an audio interface from a manufacturer that still doesn't comprehend the 1/8th rule in regards to output impedance. I can crank that little amp beyond 3 o'clock in low gain, on my cheap NuForce/Massdrop EDC3's without a single ounce of hiss, music playing or otherwise. So, I'm wondering if it's the source (PC USB) or the charging power supply at fault for the degradation in measurements when connected to power. Fiio does mention something about their "smart charging" circuit, which could be injecting noise as it monitors.

Paul

Asylum Seeker

Another reason to eschew and forego AC powered devices and the computer.

ReaderZ

M15 cheap at $1300, and they don't quote battery duration in specs, probably less than 6hrs given the dual AK4499.

I am not sure why they think dual ak4499 is a good idea for a portable... like put 2 threadripper in a laptop.

Still would be nice if we can get have a review/measurement of this device.

Shoaibexpert

This one is quite an old model...any newer perhaps cheaper alternatives to this?

confucius_zero

Any other portable "just the amp no dac" alternative to this?

DanTheMan

I’ve been listening to this amp exclusively for a few days fed by the Hidiz S8 with a set of HD650 on high gain and ER4XR and HD598 on low gain. All of these impress the hell out of me with the 650 and 4XR making me think that I’d never need or want anything else. Is there anywhere to go after this? I mean is there anything that really offers a big improvement Over this set up?

raif71

Major Contributor
I’ve been listening to this amp exclusively for a few days fed by the Hidiz S8 with a set of HD650 on high gain and ER4XR and HD598 on low gain. All of these impress the hell out of me with the 650 and 4XR making me think that I’d never need or want anything else. Is there anywhere to go after this? I mean is there anything that really offers a big improvement Over this set up?
I have 2 A5 units myself. :)

DanTheMan

I have 2 A5 units myself. :)
I have 1 of the older version which I bought when it first came out—the e12 Mont Blanc— and the A5. I’d trade the e12 in a heartbeat for a second a5. I’m always nervous that there will never be another portable amp as good as it and eventually this one’s battery will go kaput. Hopefully by then there will be an equivalent available.

raif71

Major Contributor
I have 1 of the older version which I bought when it first came out—the e12 Mont Blanc— and the A5. I’d trade the e12 in a heartbeat for a second a5. I’m always nervous that there will never be another portable amp as good as it and eventually this one’s battery will go kaput. Hopefully by then there will be an equivalent available.
I paired my first A5 with sony nw105 dap. The 2nd unit I bought 2nd hand coz it was a good chance not to pass it for the price and anyway I could use it with another dap. I use sennheiser hd6xx series with the dap+A5 when mobile.

Tortie

Forum Donor
The batteries in the A5 eventually go bad and lose usable capacity. When ny A5 reached the 2 year mark I had to recharge each night. I ended up accidentally breaking it when I took it apart to inspect the battery in order to gather information for a replacement.

The way FiiO has the Li-Ion pack wired to the board may pose difficulty for diy repair. They apparently double-tap the battery for extra voltage. There's 2 sets of red/black extremely small guage wires that terminate to a small proprietary-looking snap on board connector. They don't use JST connectors. So no crimp pins.

The battery packs I've seen that fit the size and capacity requirements don't come wire 4 wires. Most likely a replacement battery would have to be custom made.

Batteries are a problem with most portable amps, DACs, or DAPs. Some companies, like FiiO, make it difficult to replace batteries. This is why I wouldn't buy any portable without checking if it's battery is user replaceable.

DanTheMan

That’s my biggest fear but it’s good to know. Someone needs to make a portable amp to compete with this one.

Top Bottom