• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

FiiO A5 desktop?

mrsponsor

Hi guys!
As Im a newbie in headphone world so Im gonna ask a newbie question :)
Can I use a portable amp as a desktop amp? Like permamently plug in to usb cable and charging? Does it affect somehow the battery life or the whole amp somehow?
Im really exhausted of looking for a desktop amp which has enough power to drive big headphones and costs less than 300USD. I mean real drive with full control of the drivers. I have no idea why the same campany is able to make such a precious and super powerful thing like A5 for and such weak one like K3.

Last edited:

AudioStudies

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not sure what your headphones are, but there are some excellent amps reviewed here in ASR that sell for less than $300. Check out the review of the JDS Labs El Amp II for example.

Degru

The fiio a5 specifically it is not recommended. The USB power input is unfiltered and the battery charging circuit has problems with overcharging if you leave it turned on while plugged in.

Ultimately just get a small desktop amp instead such as Atom. Way more powerful

OP
M

mrsponsor

Not sure what your headphones are, but there are some excellent amps reviewed here in ASR that sell for less than $300. Check out the review of the JDS Labs El Amp II for example.
it was an exagaration from my side just to say that really powerful amps are quite expensive and Im looking for something closer to 100-150usd than 300.

The fiio a5 specifically it is not recommended. The USB power input is unfiltered and the battery charging circuit has problems with overcharging if you leave it turned on while plugged in.

Ultimately just get a small desktop amp instead such as Atom. Way more powerful
Yeah after a few days of research it seems that it will be much better to get a bit deeper and buy something like Atom or K5.

Anyway thanks for help :)

Top Bottom