• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

figuring out EQ values for Audeze EL-8 Titanium (closed)

kami

Hello people,

I was able to snag my first pair of magnetic planar headphones from eBay.
I got the Audeze EL-8 closed for US$240 S/H included (used, of course)

I was trying to find a cipher lighting cable to match the discounted Audeze iSine 10 from Adorama, and I bumped into this which looked more attractive than dealing with IEMs.

I know they are not in oratory1990's list of measured headphones, but they were measured by @solderdude, and they seemed well behaved.
I quote: "The EL-8 closed (Titanium) is a headphone that measures quite well. Almost exemplary."

How should I approach creating an EQ profile for them? What should I read?
Apparently, they could use a filter around 5 KHz, but the Audeze app has fixed 10 band EQ (I plan to use them with the cipher cable while mobile)

I found additional measurements here https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/report/hp/audeze-el-8-closed.php

I am willing to do the leg work and learn how to brew my own EQ, but I guess could single out different instruments, know their frequency range and start modifying the frequencies that don't sound right?

KM

OP
K

kami

Thanks! I had not seen this folder in that repository

KM

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I would only EQ down the 12kHz area and perhaps EQ the bass to taste.

OP
K

kami

Auto Eq has eq settings based on reference audio analyzer measurements.

I spent more time reading reviews, if the measurements at "reference audio" were done on the headphones pictured here https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/report/hp/audeze-el-8-closed.php#gsc.tab=0 then that's the original release of the Audeze EL-8

Then those are different to the Titanium model, according to several sources linked in this thread

Consequently the only measurements online for the Titanium EL-8 are here https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/audeze/el-8-titanium/

@solderdude looking at your measurements I agree with you on how to EQ the Audeze EL-8 Titanium, however when I get to use those headphones from an iOS source, I will only have fixed 10 band EQ in the Audeze app

Do you post the raw data of your measurements anywhere? :oops: that way I could produce a 10 band fixed EQ with the AutoEQ python software

KM

solderdude

Grand Contributor
These headphone measurements are 'raw' (pinnaless).
A horizontal line is the target for 'audible flat' with Harman-ish bass response.

OP
K

kami

These headphone measurements are 'raw' (pinnaless).
A horizontal line is the target for 'audible flat' with Harman-ish bass response.

Thanks @solderdude, I went through the due diligence of reading why your raw data wouldn't be useful.

I also found that Tyll measured the first iteration of these headphones and a blog post showing Audeze's own measurements

160413_Blog_AudezeMeasurementsExplaination_Photo_Img1.JPG

The headphones arrived today, they are surprisingly in great shape and delivered in their original box, even the external box from Audeze's original shipment. It's time to start trying some EQ settings. First planars for me.

I also found out that the Audeze app on iOS is a very blunt object where gain values for EQ are shown with one decimal appreciation, but you can only increase and decrease gain by one whole integer. I guess someone described this in some forum or youtube video, but it escaped my background search on this EQ app. I even installed it on my phone before acquiring the headphones, but I thought that showing one decimal should mean you could decrease with that degree of precision.

I will have to blind test the audeze app EQ vs. parametric EQ in APO to decide if Qudelix 5k is necessary at this point.

KM

OP
K

kami

For anyone looking at this thread later, I decided to install the Reveal legacy VST plugin that can be used through APO Equalizer
https://www.audeze.com/pages/revealdownload
Download previous versions of Reveal+

Linear Phase High Quality, 75% of the preset applied, which generates this graph
1622677205033.png

The AutoEQ settings are too severe and I lose too much perception of high frequency sounds, hi-hats in any of their forms sound very tinny.

Different people may prefer different percentage of the preset. This is what worked for my ears and taste.

KM

Top Bottom