• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fess up: What's your guilty pleasure?

Tircuit

Forum Donor
Someone here admitted that they enjoy listening to music run through the 7-channel surround sound DSP setting on their AVR. I tried it on mine and love it! For casual listening, it gives pretty good instrument separation and makes the room almost disappear.

What is your secret not-so-audiophile weakness? High-distortion tube amps? Beats headphones? Taylor Swift's latest album? Defend your audio blasphemy if you can.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Peanut butter, french knickers ..? oh audiophile related...

I often get more immersed in the music and rhythm listening to music through my Bose sport earbuds in the gym while working out than being at some gigs and listening at home

Same is true of listening to my JBL Boom Box at work, both those scenarios I put down to my movement being driven by the music and the relationship between sound and motion on my enjoyment of music.

OP
T

Tircuit

Forum Donor
Peanut butter, french knickers ..? oh audiophile related...

I often get more immersed in the music and rhythm listening to music through my Bose sport earbuds in the gym while working out than being at some gigs and listening at home

Same is true of listening to my JBL Boom Box at work, both those scenarios I put down to my movement being driven by the music and the relationship between sound and motion on my enjoyment of music.

I know what you mean. I'm an open planar headphone addict but had to get some noise-cancelling Sonys for work and really enjoy them. Even though I listen to Spotify via a lowQ Bluetooth codec plus the noise cancelling "sucking" feeling and everything, they have a certain sound that moves me.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I will admit that I can get just as immersed in music and enjoy the experience pretty much the same listening through decent soundbars and wireless speakers as through a good conventional set up.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Learning the technical aspects of audio instead of mixing music.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Someone here admitted that they enjoy listening to music run through the 7-channel surround sound DSP setting on their AVR. I tried it on mine and love it! For casual listening, it gives pretty good instrument separation and makes the room almost disappear.

What is your secret not-so-audiophile weakness? High-distortion tube amps? Beats headphones? Taylor Swift's latest album? Defend your audio blasphemy if you can.

Listening to LPs through an ADC phono stage with RIAA via DSP....

....but still being a sucker for reading things like 100 Recommended All-Analog LP Reissues Worth Owning...

Thinking of finding an excuse to buy one of these just because I miss having some glowy tubes and VU's....

SQ-N150frontnonet.jpg

...even though it is inferior in specs and features to what I already own....

Wanting to "experiment" with Ortofon SPU cartridges.....

download.jpeg

...even though I've never heard one and I'd have to get a new tonearm.

And worst of all...

...listening to Roon streaming Tidal lossless with the turntable spinning because it sounds better that way.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Watching utterly stoooooopind, vpid violent movies from time to time.. Usully Watch once in a while some of these until sleep sets in .. raise myself from the chair and go to bed ...Even have binged on ... Gasp!! :eek::facepalm: Steven Seagal movies ... I no longer watch his movies though .. My John Wick 1 (Great) 2 (meh...)... 300 (1) Quentin Tarrantino and Sam Peckinpah movies feed the urge

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
[..]Same is true of listening to my JBL Boom Box at work, both those scenarios I put down to my movement being driven by the music and the relationship between sound and motion on my enjoyment of music.
Yep. Listening to my JBL Charge 3 mounted on the top box of my recumbent bike makes a lot of fun, it's even stereo (15 cm distance from ear to JBL).

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
[..]What is your secret not-so-audiophile weakness? High-distortion tube amps? Beats headphones? Taylor Swift's latest album? Defend your audio blasphemy if you can.
Having an insanely cheap Behringer Ultrafex Pro chained between the Classè Sigma SSP and the K&H O300D/Genelec 7060B speakers. OK, when the Behringer is switched off its IOs are linked by a relais so it has no negative effect on SQ. But there are lots of old recordings where a little more bass and a little wider stereo soundstage improve SQ.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Watching utterly stoooooopind, vpid violent movies from time to time.. Usully Watch once in a while some of these until sleep sets in .. raise myself from the chair and go to bed ...Even have binged on ... Gasp!! :eek::facepalm: Steven Seagal movies ... I no longer watch his movies though .. My John Wick 1 (Great) 2 (meh...)... 300 (1) Quentin Tarrantino and Sam Peckinpah movies feed the urge

Don't forget the "Taken" movies. In general, drug lords/sex traffickers/ terrorists have kidnapped/killed one or more of my wife/children/dogs and now I have to kill them all.

Top Bottom