• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ferromagnetic materials in audio connectors

SSS

Read the post and maybe some around it. It was a materials issue, not the board.
Don't have the patience to read all comments. When will have time and the gear hopefully then I will try to measure the effect of steel as conductor. Unfortunately I have no AP analyzer, so I will try it with my soundcards. And need a power amp with extreme low distortion.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cross-posting from another thread…

@Rick Sykora did a deeper dive into this issue and if he is willing may be able to explain better what is happening when using a ferrous material.

Did not delve into the physics of it, but some smart folks at Purifi claim that hysteresis distortion can occur when iron is in the signal path. The distortion also reminded me of what happens with an oxidized contact. Ran this by some experienced electrical engineers I know and they said a good solder connection should resolve. I tried this with the steel tab and it did not fix.

…since it was mentioned, felt it worth pointing out that this iron-related distortion is infinitesimal in comparison to the level of distortion from any conventional speaker driver. When cost is not a major factor, prefer to see better measuring parts used. Doing so does not mean there is always an audible improvement attained (as some would like to claim).:)

Top Bottom