• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Female Vocals: Stunning Recordings You Love

Buster

Great album and very well recorded.
264x264.jpg

Nancy Wilson recorded with the George Shearing Quintet in June 1960. Being accompanied by just Shearing's group rather than a big orchestra created a special intimacy that allowed listeners to hear just how special her voice was. As for Shearing, he was able to show off a more soulful feel within the confines of the quintet's sound.

eriksson

Forum Donor
Greetings ASR!
I am going to use my first post here to thank @amirm and his staff for this great website. In the past few months lurking I have learned quite a bit and discovered new wonderful music.

I can't think of a better way to start off than recommend the fantastic voice of Lea Salonga. I did a search and didn't find any reference to here in ASR forums. Pardon me if I am out of line recommending artist here in the 'reference quality music' section but in my opinion she is indeed reference class singer. Unfortunately, I haven't had muck luck finding high quality recordings from her best performances. Like this one:

I think she hasn't been lucky since her Disney, Broadway years. For some reason most of the material she has been singing in past years isn't exciting. She should probably fire here director. But still here voice is always great.

Here is rather bad recording of live event where she covers a hit from Lady Gaga. Imagine if this was done professionally in a studio!?

Last edited:

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Greetings ASR!
I am going to use my first post here to thank @amirm and his staff for this great website. In the past few months lurking I have learned quite a bit and discovered new wonderful music.

I can't think of a better way to start off than recommend the fantastic voice of Lea Salonga. I did a search and didn't find any reference to here in ASR forums. Pardon me if I am out of line recommending artist here in the 'reference quality music' section but in my opinion she is indeed reference class singer. Unfortunately, I haven't had muck luck finding high quality recordings from her best performances. Like this one:

I think she hasn't been lucky since her Disney, Broadway years. For some reason most of the material she has been singing in past years isn't exciting. She should probably fire here director. But still here voice is always great.

Here is rather bad recording of live event where she covers a hit from Lady Gaga. Imagine if this was done professionally in a studio!?
Very nice!

BeepPeep_61

Good Saturday to all, My today's listening proposal is:
Amber Weekes - 'Round Midnight

Artist: Amber Weekes
Album: 'Round Midnight (Re-Imagined)
Genre: Vocal Jazz
Released: 2021

Tracklist:

Hazel's Hips (2:33)
Summer Samba (4:27)
Cristo Redentor / I Want Jesus To Walk With Me (5:01)
Sistermoon / Summertime (5:03)
My Romance (3:28)
Don't You Feel My Leg (3:13)
Something Cool (Radio Edit) (4:04)
One For My Baby (Radio Edit) (5:38)
The Man That Got Away (Radio Edit) (4:31)
Lovers (4:00)
'Round Midnight (4:57)
More Than You Know (5:48)
Folder.jpg

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Great album and very well recorded.
264x264.jpg

Nancy Wilson recorded with the George Shearing Quintet in June 1960. Being accompanied by just Shearing's group rather than a big orchestra created a special intimacy that allowed listeners to hear just how special her voice was. As for Shearing, he was able to show off a more soulful feel within the confines of the quintet's sound.

Yes, and the other great album of hers with Cannonball Adderley. Capitol only let her sing on half the tracks on each of these, but there's a great release that combines the vocal tracks from both into a single CD.

BeepPeep_61

I just finished listening to this new album and ...... I want to invite you to listen to it !!! A warm and powerful voice accompanied by excellent instrumental base.
Dee Daniels - The Promise (Deluxe Edition)

Artist: Dee Daniels
Album: The Promise (Deluxe Edition)
Genre: Vocal Jazz, Gospel
Label: Cellar Live
Released: 2021

Tracklist:

Choose Me
One Moment in Time
The Promise
My Prayer
Healed
Grateful
Love Inside
I Am Forgiven
Never Alone
Dance with Me
Love is the Answer
One Moment in Time (Guitar Version)
I Want Jesus
Let Freedom Ring (The Ballad of John Lewis)
Folder.jpg

DanaGer

Swamp Thing · Hiatus Kaiyote
This album took me multiple times to determine if it was worth listening too. My final determination was it was worth the effort as there are so many layers going on. Finding a song that was representative of the album was near impossible so I choose this one. When you are looking for something different.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
One of my favorite recent Musicals. The whole movie is incredible and filled with song and dance.

BeepPeep_61

Last discographic fatigue for this great voice ....

Nnenna Freelon – Time Traveler

Genre : Jazz
Release Date : 2021

Tracklist:
01. I Say a Little Prayer (05:06)
02. Marvin Medley: If This World Were Mine / Ain’t Nothing Like the Real Thing / Ain’t No Mountain High Enough (06:04)
03. Just You (05:31)
04. Betcha by Golly Wow (04:53)
05. Time in a Bottle (06:59)
06. You Make Me Feel Brand New (05:05)
07. Moon River (05:56)
08. Time After Time (04:58)
09. Come Rain or Come Shine (04:48)
10. Time Traveler (04:29)
11. Time Traveler (Reprise) (03:17)
Folder.jpg

Pegwill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Diana Krall - Not only a good piano player but some great vocals - The Look Of Love

Top Bottom