• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Female Vocals: Stunning Recordings You Love

BeepPeep_61

Happy Saturday everyone, my evening listening proposal:

Sabrina Starke - Bags & Suitcases
Year Of Release: 2010
Label: Blue Note
Genre: Funk-Soul

Tracklist:
Brand New 3:51
Different People 3:43
Another Shade 3:36
Sunny Days 3:29
Can't Keep Running Away 3:24
Jasmine 4:07
If Morning Comes 4:00
Bags & Suitcases 3:08
Happy 3:37
Down The Road 4:14
For Love / In The Moment 5:26
So Magical 3:29
folder.jpg

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
"Der Holle Rache ... ", one of the two famous arias of the Queen of the Night in WA Mozart's opera Die Zauberflote (The Magic Flute) is practically a rite of passage for soprano opera stars. Consequently, there have been a lot of recordings over the years, and YouTube is flooded with performances by established and aspiring sopranos. There are classic recordings by Lucia Popp, Edda Moser, Cheryl Studer and many others.

Here is one of the superstars Patricia Petibon.

Here is another star Sabine DeVieilhe. The recordings of classical music on YT are often of subpar audio quality.

Here is rising soprano Serena Saenz. Satisfying vehemence of acting and singing that I think the role calls for.

Soprano Margarita Levchuk in an unusual and cherishable arrangement of Der Holle Rache using accompaniment by rock band (she also has a version with the regular orchestral accompaniment on YT), live performance.

Margarita Levchuk singing a folk/pop song "Spadchyna".

Margarita Levchuk singing Dido's Lament "Remember Me" from Henry Purcell's opera Dido and Aeneas.

Margarita Levchuk singing composer Alyabiev's song "Nightingale" in a live performance. Superlative performance, but botched recording and/or YT resolution. One can only hope for an album release with better recording fidelity to the singer's voice.

Last edited:

DanaGer

These recordings of Eva Zaicik and Veronique Gens sound fantastic with natural realism, without the artificial processing too often done with female vocalists. Of course, YouTube doesn't do justice to the quality of the recording; you really need the CD or high-res download.

WOW Eva Zaicik is absolutely amazing. Thanks for the tip!

DanaGer

I know Etta James has been mentioned earlier in the forum but their just cant be enough Etta

Etta James - I'd Rather Go Blind (Live at Montreux 1975)

Miss Pitiful · Etta James

DanaGer

Keeping the way back machine going

Dinah Washington - This Bitter Earth

Dinah Washington - Drinking Again (1952)

and just not enough songs about dentists
Dinah Washington - Long John Blues

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"Der Holle Rache ... ", one of the two famous arias of the Queen of the Night in WA Mozart's opera Die Zauberflote (The Magic Flute) is practically a rite of passage for soprano opera stars. Consequently, there have been a lot of recordings over the years, and YouTube is flooded with performances by established and aspiring sopranos. There are classic recordings by Lucia Popp, Edda Moser, Cheryl Studer and many others.

Thanks a lot, I enjoyed these very much; Mozart, Mozart, forever!!

How about this charming duet of Henry Purcell?

I sing in bass part in our church choir, and I have a dream of siging this beautiful piece with a soprano singer and our choir someday....

Last edited:

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Thanks a lot, I enjoyed these very much; Mozart, Mozart, forever!!

How about this charming duet of Henry Purcell?

I sing in bass part in our church choir, and I have a dream of siging this beautiful piece with a soprano singer and our choir someday....
Mozart the magician forever, indeed! That is a lovely duet by Purcell, thanks for sharing it. Stately and nice flow, even more so when the choir enters in the latter part. Hope you do get to duet it with a skilled soprano someday!

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
Something a bit different. I think the singer was about 13 yo when this was recorded. Talented!

DanaGer

Buddy Miller, Brandi Carlile, and The Lone Bellow - "Angel From Montgomery"

Buddy Miller & Shawn Colvin - "Wild Horses"

Top Bottom