• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Female Vocals: Stunning Recordings You Love

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Especially for you kids who succumbed to the temptation of the first marshmallow and thus lost getting two marshmallows if you'd only have waited, here is the finale movement of an Indian classical music performance by singer Kaushiki Chakraborty and her instrumental collaborators. This took place in London during 2016 or 2015 is my guess, and this chunk was released on YouTube by the organizers "darbarfestival" (I am guessing it is to entice us to subscribe to darbarfestival to get access to a large archive of full performances). According to the updated blurb/ad in the channel's note, lucky Londoners should soon be able to see and hear Kaushiki live again, in an upcoming performance at the Barbican.

At about 2:48 the tempo picks up and at 3:04 the singer turns to the percussionist and mouths "Ektu Jore" ("a little faster"). Can anyone estimate the SPM (syllables per minute) of the portion between 3:06 and 4:06? The composition is improvised throughout in Raag Bhimpalasi (which is a sort of scale that supposedly produces the feeling of an exquisite or romantic afternoon), in the time signature Teental. The Raag itself only provides a few lines to be sung; the rest of the music and vocalise is improvised. A centuries-old tradition of scatting?

Three years ago, darbarfestival relented and released two more chunks of the performance on YT. These feel like they should be the first and second parts of the piece, even though they were labeled Part 2 and Part 3, presumably marking the order of their release. The performance should successively increase from slow to medium to fast tempos. It feels like there is material left out that should lie between what is labeled as Part 3 and the part linked above that was released first on YT.

Part 3:

Here (advanced) vocal music student Anuja Kamat gives an explanation of what a Raag or Raga is (something I only dimly understand, given my total lack of musical learning):

Last edited:

Eulipian

Edda Moser - Der Hölle Rache - Mozart - Die Zauberflöte

Good enough to be included on the Voyager golden record.

record-diagram.jpg

Wards off Klingons every time.

RosalieTheDog

Looking forward to the release of this new album of Cécile McLorin Salvant, one of my favorite current jazz singers trying her hand at baroque repertoire (not for purists!).
YouTube link

1675693254395.png

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Top Bottom