• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Female Vocals: Stunning Recordings You Love

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
A9D53F3A-F9A1-4310-9EDF-2939F6C0A7AE.jpeg

Turambar

I love the album published by Suzanne Vega back in 2001, "Songs in Red and Blue". It's so personal and intimate, but also very much like her first works from the 1980s. This is my favorite song, "(I'll Never Be) Your Maggie May":

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Modern, utterly lovely, folk duet: The Unthanks ... The King of Rome from their Diversions Vol 2 release (with Brighouse and Rastrick Brass Band) Proper Northern Soul (which I do also love)!

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The always unassuming Shreya Ghoshal is a singer and film song recording artist, and now a composer too. According to the Wikipedia page on Shreya, since 1998 she has recorded over 2400 songs, and sung professionally in over 20 languages.

The soundtrack of the movie Bhool Bhulaiyaa was sung by Shreya and M.G. Sreekumar. Here is Shreya live in a 2012 concert in Doha, Qatar, performing the Bengali song "Aami Je Tomar ... Mere Dholna Sun" that she originally recorded for that soundtrack. Here she sings both the female and male parts. It is a fancam recording, and unfortunately the audio quality is parlous, but the performance makes the audio distortion worthwhile tolerating.

Here is the same song, but this is from the movie soundtrack, and sung by Shreya and Sreekumar as a female-male duet. This performance too is reel horrorshow.

In 2017, Shreya was Artist In Residence with the Berklee Indian Ensemble at the Berklee College of Music in Boston. Here they are in a live performance of the Hindi film song "Aap Ki Nazron Ne Samjha" originally recorded in 1962 by the late Lata Mangeshkar.

Shreya recorded the somewhat sad song "Sun Raha Hai Na Tu" for the soundtrack of the Hindi film "Aashiqui 2".

The song "Angana Morey", music and lyrics composed by Shreya Ghoshal herself, and sung by her. Accompaniment includes live strings by the Budapest Art Orchestra.

Last edited:

PatF

Something from my country :) - amazing voice and good recording:

Monika Borzym - Thank you (Dido)

Monika Borzym - Weird Fishes (Radiohead)

Last edited:
Top Bottom