• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Feel the need to upgrade phono preamp.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey all,

I've had the urge to upgrade my phono preamp (Art DJ Pre II) to something that sounds better and has better quality. I can't decide if I want to invest in a tube amp or a solid state that is compatible to MM and MC cartridges. I plan to upgrade my current Audio-technica LP60 to a Fluance RT83 in the future and want to pair it with a good phono. Any suggestions?

OP
_thelaughingman

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not a lot wrong with it tbh, it’s a decent unit. I just feel like maybe there is something better than what I have to bring out the best in my vinyl. I could be wrong and it could be the turntable that’s a limitation since it’s a starter kit

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Not a lot wrong with it tbh, it’s a decent unit. I just feel like maybe there is something better than what I have to bring out the best in my vinyl. I could be wrong and it could be the turntable that’s a limitation since it’s a starter kit
That’s not your quality bottleneck. If you’re interested in improvement, turntable/arm and cartridge are the way to go.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Agree. $350 for a new Fluance RT83 is a better stepwise improvement than $300 for a new Cambridge Duo to replace the Art DJ Pre II.

Top Bottom