• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Feel the bass

nerdoldnerdith

I would recommend some combination of the Ascendo SMSG50 50" subwoofer and the Unique Melody MEST IEM's with bone conducting drivers to give you a good deep boning during your listening sessions.

Attachments

• 022520_Ascendo_6-foot-tall_SMSG50.jpg
    022520_Ascendo_6-foot-tall_SMSG50.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 201
  • DSCF4088.jpg
    DSCF4088.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 135

flyzipper

Some details from the OP would clarify their requirements:

- budget
- size of listening space
- desired playback level
- number of listening positions
- playback content

It's a different implementation spec if you're looking to build a home threatre in a typical 12x15x8 room, where you'd probably be happy with good reference volume levels down to 20Hz at 1-4 listening positions VS planning a Covid-is-over warehouse rave where lots of power down to 35Hz would be the focus (unless you're Room One at Fabric).

carewser

How often you listen to anything with 7 Hz bass? Or 12 Hz bass?

Never which is exactly why the Paradigm Sub 2 is so ridiculous. I'd be surprised if there's a pipe organ on earth that goes down to 7hz. My best sub goes down to 27hz and I can't believe how deep it sounds

Wow, the people that designed Fabric didn't fuck around

My system features 7 subwoofers that got people from 2 stories above me complaining once and the people the floor above complaining I was making their windows rattle another time but compared to Fabric's sound system they make mine seem like a 1980's all-in-one Lloyd's stereo

Last edited:

Katji

Major Contributor
Funktion One iirc. Big reputation.

... VS planning a Covid-is-over warehouse rave
I wish. ...I knew it would eventually get to that. Meanwhile mixmag feed is showing me some...dismaying stories - for once, I actually agree with govt. and police.

Katji

Major Contributor
An interesting interview with one of Fabric's Sound and Lighting Designers if you're interested.
wahh! o_O Camden Palace. ...A bit before his time though. It was my/our default place to go, 1980-81. ...They gave you free tickets for week nights when you went in.
...Yes, before his time, he's talking about D&B and dubstep. But the bass was there already, on the reggae/dub side.
That interview is full of interesting stuff. ...Including the floor subsonics and dancing a primordial thing. Plus he even refers to church organ there, the physiological effect/psycho-acoustic effect. The same applies to Drone, drone sound.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Katji

Major Contributor
Resonant frequency range the frequencies at which those body parts are affected by the sound waves / the air disturbance...?

If there is some effect, surely it is part of hearing, sound perception?

So I'll carry on saying, stop referring to "ears" instead of to "hearing".

gattaca

Wow, the people that designed Fabric didn't fuck around

My system features 7 subwoofers that got people from 2 stories above me complaining once and the people the floor above complaining I was making their windows rattle another time but compared to Fabric's sound system they make mine seem like a 1980's all-in-one Lloyd's stereo

Yeap - our "super" subs, linear motors, transducers and other infrasonics - do not play nice with physically connected townhomes, apartments, or even some HOAs. It's a quick way to get a HOA notice in your mailbox. ;)

Thanks for posting those links. I read the info about the Fabric setup and watched the circa 2014 vid. Powersoft Amps told me a lot right there - a no holds barred design. That 1 floor with 450 x transducers (circa 2014) must be amazing! The raw power and # of AMPS to drive all those motors - WOW! My little infrasonic setup, mounted to the main large LVL running across the main-room floor is using 6 larger linear motors in unison and is quite effective during "The Expanse" as I'm frequently reminded - in addition to the subs. I've still got some better tuning to do with these. A recently acquired vintage Rane PE17 will be key to sending 15Hz and below to this array. If you are in an connected dwelling with neighbors, this simply is not neighborly. ;)

Buttkicker-LinearMotors-LVL-20210128-OK.jpg

Last edited:

Katji

Major Contributor
I must admit, I had no idea, floor transducers. :D What a system - I mean the software, and control systems. Interesting that 3D graph is showing it's not just sub frequencies, it's going up through 300-400Hz.

:D hah, so London was the first. :D ...Bass is a UK export.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Don Hills

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Top Bottom