• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Favorite Radio Stations

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
That sounds like a cool station.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
They do occasionally play vinyl, but the slogans - "Vinyl at Heart", “Rhythms not Algorithms”, and “Curated not Encoded” are more about the fact that they have DJ's and staff that find new music as opposed to the programmed playlists on most stations. I really enjoy the station and they often highlight new artists long before they become mainstream.
Thanks. That is certainly a lost practice in trying to squeeze the last dollar out of the business of being a radio station.

GaryProtein

FM radio is a wasteland. There is NOTHING you can count on for good music during the day. There's only overmodulated, overly-bassy, mostly hip hop and rap crap JUNK. Yes, I'm mad. FM radio sucks. The only reason I still have my MR78 is for nostagic/sentimental reasons and I can't bring myself to sell it, especially after Richard Modaferri did his updates on it a few years ago. In the recent past, "Car Talk" used to be the only show I would listen to, but since one of the hosts died, that's gone too.

Bring back the old days of the wonderful WNCN, killed in 1974 to become another heavy metal rock station, as if we needed that; which left WQXR alone in the classical market to broadcast snippets of orchestral works instead of the full pieces they previously played when they had competition. WQXR was further vilified by sponsors who had the most annoying commercials. WQXR was later killed by the New York Times when they sold it who sold it and it became another Spanish station, as if the New York market needed another one of those.

These days I only listen to music that I own. The radio is used solely for news if I'm in the mood to know what's happening in the world, otherwise, I prefer to get my news from the late night TV show host's monologs. At least the important stuff comes across in an amusing manner.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
My local FM Broadcast Desk at WMNF still sports a couple of 'tables.

ira.jpg

"General Manager Craig Kopp of Tampa's WMNF poses for a portrait in the station's music library which holds tens of thousands of vinyl records and CDs."

0435618946_15107217_8col.jpg

"If you are a fan of vinyl, you will appreciate the huge wall of albums for the volunteers to select from for their assorted shows."

wmnf-63.jpg

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
"If you are a fan of vinyl, you will appreciate the huge wall of albums for the volunteers to select from for their assorted shows."

wmnf-63.jpg
Wow, that is impressive! I am amazed such stations still exist. 2-3 decades back a few smart people figured out that they could make boatload of money in buying stations and converting them to a specific formula. They drained all the value out of them and that was that.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
...2-3 decades back a few smart people figured out that they could make boatload of money...

Well, 35 years ago some smart person here said "That sux!"

This is a "listener supported" station. Some paid staff, but volunteer DJ. If your show pulls its weight during pledge drive, you stay on the air, otherwise somebody else gets your slot.

Then they are always having some sort of activity planned outside broadcasting. Next - Tropical Heatwave...

It's Liberal Talk in the mornings, then mostly varied musics the rest of the day. They have live-in-the-studio performances of local people or folks in town to give a concert.

It's a good station, When the TV goes off the switcher switches to it. Or I switch to CD or (rarely) some PC stream.

Here's the budget 10 years ago

upload_2016-4-23_14-42-3.png

It's run under the Nathan B. Stubblefield Foundation

http://www.wmnf.org/about/board-of-directors/

Top Bottom