• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Favorite Loudspeakers of all time whether you owned them or not

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

DSJR

Major Contributor
Are the electrostatic elements made by Janszen ?
WERE - we're talking early to mid 70's. Way above the UK mindset for this era and there was far more excitement over the then perceived bass-light NS1000's which appeared here in 1975...

The Crowns (sorry, Amcron) played Tago Mago by Can like no other I remember and the room shook on Halleluwah! offa master tape copy (oh yes indeedy :D ) Frankenstein by the Edgar Winter group of master was pretty damned impressive too - the LP has or had terminal bass distortion...

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
WERE - we're talking early to mid 70's. Way above the UK mindset for this era and there was far more excitement over the then perceived bass-light NS1000's which appeared here in 1975...

The Crowns (sorry, Amcron) played Tago Mago by Can like no other I remember and the room shook on Halleluwah! offa master tape copy (oh yes indeedy :D ) Frankenstein by the Edgar Winter group of master was pretty damned impressive too - the LP has or had terminal bass distortion...
I bought mine in London in 1971. They were indeed Amcrons (trade name dispute, which resolved a decade later). I fed them from a Phase Linear 700B.

sch8mid

Yes , I imported a bunch of Janszen hybrid electrostatics in the early seventieth to Germany. They even made a fullrange in these days.

Attachments

• 223344.jpg
    223344.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 46

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

DonM

I was very fortunate in 1975 to purchase a set of 12” Tannoy Monitor Gold speakers (the link is safe). Working in University as an audio visual technician offered easy access to professional systems. Once I had a taste for these studio monitors, I just focused on making them better. Over the years I have built trapezoid cabinets, purchased speaker measurement devices and currently use DSP to provide room equalization. These speakers from a historical perspective are very noteworthy and the current market values will substantiate that claim.

jeffbook

Dahlquist DQ-10s, Quad ES speakers I first heard in LA, but never owned. Revel Salons (did not own), and then Linkwitz Orion 9owned, still use bass module), LXmini (current..) and LX521 (don't own..). Haven't heard anything better then what Siegfried designed to this point in time. Owning Linkwitz speakers means thinking outside of the common audiophile box.

crazycloud

Stuff I've had that I wouldn't mind again that left an impression, in no particular order;
Realistic Mach 1
KEF 104/2
Linn PMS and Sara
KHorns (modified by me)
Proac Tablettes
Quad 57s
Bose 901

I never owned but heard many times AR9s and I really liked them.
I love the look and concept of the SF Strads above.

And I think my own MEHs are the best all round, and I hope the new version will be even better (Beranek's Law applies here). They are not perfect and will not be to everyone's taste, but they are to mine.

I've heard so many expensive and raved about speakers over the years that have left me beyond meh, wondering how people have paid all that much money for something that sounds, OK. I'd have the PMS over almost all of them because they were fun and involving.

delgesu

@GXAlan :
I owned a pair of stradivaris (speakers, not violins ) around 2005. They looked and sounded beautiful. Sold them nevertheless. Audiophile nervosia, i think ...

Pablo27

Hi folks, first post here.

The best i heard were the big Linkwitz. Unfortunately I don't have a large enough living room. I tried to convince my wife to let me extend the living area into the hallway to increase size but for some bizarre reason she wasn't for that.

My current are the Troels SBA10 (which were a pain to build) they "disappear" creating the most immersive sound I've heard (after dsp, prior to that they were very bass heavy in my room). Undoubtedly full of "snake oil" expensive crossover parts though..

I have some Linkwitz Lx Mini with the Pass crossover. They come scarily close to the troels in many ways. The LX are detailed and atmospheric and have let me hear things in my favourite tracks previously unheard. They do in my opinion require a sub though. I'd recommend these to anyone, although I'm not sure the Pass crossover is a pre requisite and remain slightly sceptical.

My first "proper" speaker was the mission 773e which I enjoyed at the time.

Honorable mention to the Rega rs5, they showed me the possibilities of speaker performance and sent me on this "journey".

I'm still trying to shake some of the old audiofool beliefs I've internalised over the years. The most difficult one for me is "how can amplifier A sound as good as amplifier B, when B is 10 times the price".

Oh the money I have wasted.. I sold a very expensive "boutique" amp recently and started using my Sony av receiver in its place (no difference) and expensive cables and interconnects are no longer in my system. I suppose this website has saved me a lot of money (something I don't have to spare! So a very sincere thank you).

Sorry for the ramble, but I couldn't find an introductions page.
20220711_092346.jpg

Last edited:

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The first loudspeaker I worked with professionally was the Lockwood Major. Tannoy 15" Monitor Gold driver in a decently sized cabinet.

By modern standards not the most uncoloured of 'speakers, but I would love to get my hands on a pair and use a modern DSP-based crossover and equaliser. (Picture from the web).

TANNOYISTA_Lockwood_Major_03.jpg

Zaireeka

I don't own them (already) but I just listened to GGNTKT M1 in Berlin, with a rather wide selection of tunes, including some rather nasty stuff (abrasive guitars, heavy bass tracks). Super impressed especially for their size, the clarity from bottom to top and the fact that they remain coherent at high level which led me to push the volume a bit far without realizing it (peaks at 95dB in a huge auditorium).

I'll try 8351A at the same place to compare these beasts.

In the meantime the M1 are the best speakers I've heard.

Last edited:
Top Bottom