• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Favorite Loudspeakers of all time whether you owned them or not

forss

What are your Favorite Loudspeakers of all time whether you owned them or not​

Can be more than one Brand

and I will kick it off with my favorites

B&W 801 , Quad ESL-63 , Bose 901 , Klipsch La Scala , and several That were DIY speakers .....was fun to build speakers​

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning
KEF Blade 2 (meta), TAD Reference One, and Dynaudio Evidence Master/Temptation/Platinum. Either of those will suffice for life.

D!sco

Blades (II?)
Hard to describe the feeling of a true point source, low distortion, high SPL capability. Dynamics are all there, and I can dance around the room without feeling like I'm missing much.

OP
F

forss

wish I had requested Photos of these Speakers , if at all possible , some of these I have never even heard of like ... "Blades (II?)" , "Linkwitz Lab LXmini"

Last edited:
OP
F

forss

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Waxx

Major Contributor
Of the one i owned, the Goodman Mezzo SL and some of my diy builds with Mark Audio drivers.

Off those i did not own but heared more than once: Altec Lansing 620 with the Altec Lansing 604E driver (it's not hifi to modern standards but sounds so good), Harbeth HL5+, Tannoy Arden (70's model) in the rebuild cabinet of my ex (the original cabinet is badly build and not braced). JBL L100, JBL 4333, JBL 4425, K&H o300

Zensō

Major Contributor

Capitol C

I still enjoy the AR-3a speakers that I bought in 1972 and restored a few years ago. Placed where they belong (on a bookshelf) they are remarkably realistic.
AR speakers.JPG

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well I guess there is a selection bias in the question: It's likely we have owned some of our favorite loudspeakers. That's why we bought them :)

If I think back on the list of speakers I've owned they all were favorites at that point. So for me that would include various Audio Physic speakers, Hales, various Thiel, Quad 63s, MBL, Joseph Audio, Meadowlark Audio, Spendor, Harbeth...

In the category of Favorite Speakers I've Never Owned:

MBL 101E

Devore Fidelity O/96

Hales Transcendence 8

(The MBL 101s or Hales T8s are about as large of a speaker that I'd ever care to own. I'm not into gargantuan speakers).

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Duntech Sovereign

Cbdb2

Major Contributor

First active dsp speakers Ild heard. And they where in a properly designed studio control room. Quite impressive for 1990. Probably still hold there own.

hex168

Infinity Monitor Jr from 1976. Peerless KO10DT tweeter, German Peerless 2" soft dome mid, 12" woofer. Enough baffle step compensation to be able to be placed away from walls on a stand. Least expensive speaker that did imaging right in its day, and the inspiration for a lot of my DIY work (although I stayed away from the first order crossovers). I'll speculate that the directivity mismatch at 600 Hz is less audible than in typical two-ways. OK, I liked the Infinity IRS better, but who wouldn't?
Other favorites: Apogee Duetta, Eminent Technology LFT8, Duntech Sovereign.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Platinum
Monitor Audio
Meadowlark
Snell
Focal
Dali

Which Meadowlark speakers do you like? (And did you own them?)

I had the Meadowlark Heron i speakers in my place for a while and enjoyed them quite a bit. (I also owned some Meadowlark monitors for a while - among the craziest imaging I've heard!)

Top Bottom