• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Favorite Audiophile Movies

KellenVancouver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
We all have favorite movies, and likewise we typically have favorite movie soundtracks, usually divided by genre. But what about movies specifically focused on audiophiles, or if not centrally focused on audiophiles, at least highlighting the audiophile hobby as a subplot or major plot device? I know that is a pretty niche category, but there are some out there. Favorites?

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know there was a movie called High Fidelity. Never saw it, so I don't know how much hi-fi is involved.

Not sure anyone would want to watch a movie about someone listening to records. I guess you could make a comedy out of it. I think that might work. Fremer as a Woody Allen-ish neurotic, checking his microscope in order to get the VTA on his expensive turntable correct. Then, a therapy session with his psychoanalyst; on the couch asking if he's crazy because he rewired his house in order to get the 'front to back depth that he always knew was there', out of his records?

His doctor, played by Jack Nicholson, frowns, checks his watch and thinks, "What a weirdo. At least I'm not the one the couch. And he's paying me for this? 15 minutes and I'm outta here--lunch time."

That would be pretty funny, especially if you could expand the plot and dialog a bit. Hire the right producer, and feature an oddly attractive but borderline quirky actress to spice it up. I know Robert Altman is no longer available, but what about Shelley Duvall?

Below are a couple of movie soundtracks now in my record rotation. Enjoyable enough, but I admit never have watched the movies:

davis.jpg
mulligan.jpg

OP
KellenVancouver

KellenVancouver

One that just crossed my mind doesn't really qualify as an audiophile movie, but at least has the science of sound (sort of) as a central feature, is Blow Out from waaaaay back (1981). Movie held some interest regarding special effects/sound focus, but was ruined for me by the female lead.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I know there was a movie called High Fidelity. Never saw it, so I don't know how much hi-fi is involved.

Not sure anyone would want to watch a movie about someone listening to records. I guess you could make a comedy out of it. I think that might work. Fremer as a Woody Allen-ish neurotic, checking his microscope in order to get the VTA on his expensive turntable correct. Then, a therapy session with his psychoanalyst; on the couch asking if he's crazy because he rewired his house in order to get the 'front to back depth that he always knew was there', out of his records?

His doctor, played by Jack Nicholson, frowns, checks his watch and thinks, "What a weirdo. At least I'm not the one the couch. And he's paying me for this? 15 minutes and I'm outta here--lunch time."

That would be pretty funny, especially if you could expand the plot and dialog a bit. Hire the right producer, and feature an oddly attractive but borderline quirky actress to spice it up. I know Robert Altman is no longer available, but what about Shelley Duvall?

Below are a couple of movie soundtracks now in my record rotation. Enjoyable enough, but I admit never have watched the movies:

View attachment 172606View attachment 172607
"High Fidelity" is all about record collecting culture. The Debut of Jack Black, super-annoying record store clerk, surprisingly good singer. Worth watching, but not about audiophilia nervosa.

Blade Runner 2049 has the best merger of foley and music scoring I have heard, with lots of really powerful deep bass.

OP
KellenVancouver

KellenVancouver

"High Fidelity" is all about record collecting culture. The Debut of Jack Black, super-annoying record store clerk, surprisingly good singer. Worth watching, but not about audiophilia nervosa.

Blade Runner 2049 has the best merger of foley and music scoring I have heard, with lots of really powerful deep bass.
That distinction seems also to characterize Ghost World (2001).

Martini

Forum Donor
Except, perhaps the casting of Tom Hulce as Mozart, Amadeus was pretty good music-wise. The audiophile equipment of period portrayed, were actual instruments :cool:

Amadeus.jpg

Last edited:

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On a similar note:

I've lived with and played around with several of the gear shown here. Can't say the same about the actresses. Probably the other way around would be better.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
“As Good As It Gets” with Jack Nicholson in the lead role , the main character has all sort of mental issues including OCD ofcourse he has massive Thiel speakers , but the set decorators ruins it by placing them suboptimaly ;)

D

Deleted member 23424

One that just crossed my mind doesn't really qualify as an audiophile movie, but at least has the science of sound (sort of) as a central feature, is Blow Out from waaaaay back (1981). Movie held some interest regarding special effects/sound focus, but was ruined for me by the female lead.
Blow Out and The Conversation both spring to mind. Lots of vintage gear in both, one even features Gene Hackman discussing the benefits of using new fangled MOSFETs.

Nice Harman Kardon rig in American Psycho too.
harmon-kardon-music-system-american-psycho-film-and-furniture-600435.jpg

LightninBoy

In the 2015 Goosebumps Movie, the dad (Jack Black) was confronted by police regarding screaming sounds coming from his house. Jack explained it was from his stereo system and that he was an "audiophile". One of the police was shocked and asked "a *what*aphile??"

Robin L

Master Contributor

Robin L

Master Contributor
I guess you could make a comedy out of it. I think that might work. Fremer as a Woody Allen-ish neurotic, checking his microscope in order to get the VTA on his expensive turntable correct. Then, a therapy session with his psychoanalyst; on the couch asking if he's crazy because he rewired his house in order to get the 'front to back depth that he always knew was there', out of his records?

I say Paul Thomas Anderson directs, or that other Anderson guy. Cast Seinfeld as the victim of Audiophilius Nervosa, Zach Galifianakis as the shrink, Ana de Armas as the love interest, Julia Louis-Dreyfus as her mother. There's a major league-dispute over tracking angle between Seinfeld and Adam Sandler, ending in a shoot-out. Straight to Apple TV.

Title: Revolver.

[I can picture myself pitching this to Griffin Mill]

OP
KellenVancouver

KellenVancouver

Another one I just thought about, and I'd be modestly surprised if many of you have seen it. Includes a small subplot concerning a doctor's obsession with fusion jazz. A wonderful and rather heartwarming comedy called La Grande Séduction. It's a Canadian film from 2003. The movie is in French and I think for English audiences they marketed it under the title Seducing Dr. Lewis. Honestly, one of my all-time favorites.

Dave Zan

We all have favorite movies... the audiophile hobby as a subplot or major plot device? Favourites?
Alex.PNG

Surely it has to be the old Clockwork O...?
Brilliant movie, fantastic sound track, music as a central plot point, and as a symbol.
And such a pretty sound system, I still want a Transcriptor, even if I know it won't measure so brilliantly.

Patrick's tape deck and speakers will spark memories for fans too...
MV5BMmJmMDQ1ZmYtNjA3NC00NjE3LWJiNjYtYmM3NzQ4OWRmZTU1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDIyNjA2MTk@._V1_.jpg

Best wishes
David

Last edited:

jsilvela

That distinction seems also to characterize Ghost World (2001).
Oh what an underrated masterpiece. Zwigoff also made "Crumb" on R. Crumb the artist. Massive music collector. Perhaps that also earns it an audiophilia side-nod.

Top Bottom