• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fast transient in music recordings - tweeter load - amp response

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
I tried my 2-way speaker with a 6kHz uniform sine burst of +/-50Vpeak amplitude. Recorded amp output voltage and tweeter acoustical output. The tweeter (Seas T25CF001) seems to handle the peaks quite well.

tweeterburst1_sm.png

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Well done Pavel. Do you have a capacitor/x/over in line with the tweeter or directly driven?

Reactions: pma
OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
There is a -18dB/oct xover (2.4kHz) before the tweeter and also a padding resistor, so in fact the tweeter sees only about half of the amplitude. However it is a real-life and probably the worst case situation with my amplifier.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Your Seas tweeter behaves very well. Initial under amplitude, next cycle overshoots a small amount, and then stabilizes within two cycles. Impressive if you ask me.

Reactions: pma
OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
Your Seas tweeter behaves very well. Initial under amplitude, next cycle overshoots a small amount, and then stabilizes within two cycles. Impressive if you ask me.

Thanks, I like Seas Excel series, at least some of the drivers. And sonically as well, not only by measurements.

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
This is the measured spectrum of electrical signal at amplifier output and acoustical signal corresponding to time domain plots in post #21.
5 cycles of 6kHz sine have length of 833.33 us. This corresponds to 1200 Hz width of the side lobes. Sine burst was generated with Fs = 48kHz (see the measured electrical signal spectrum). Measurements were made with Fs = 96kHz sampling. Note the decaying oscillations of the tweeter output.

tweeterburst1_spectrum_notes2.png

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
From your graphs I see .8 fs (say 80volts)for the woof and less than .6 fs (say 58 volts) for the tweet. Thats half the peak power, not the same. And we all know average power difference will be much greater.

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
From your graphs I see .8 fs (say 80volts)for the woof and less than .6 fs (say 58 volts) for the tweet. Thats half the peak power, not the same. And we all know average power difference will be much greater.

0.8FS and 0.6FS are correct guesses. And? All I am saying is that peak amplitude into tweeter section is high, nothing else. Because this is often overlooked and not understood.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
And hard to believe most of the higher end active studio monitors are under powering there tweeters.

Focal shape65s. Woof and mid= 80watt, tweet=25wats

Dynaudio core 59 woof and tweet=500w, tweet=150w

Meyer HD1s woof=150w, tweet=75w

Last edited:

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
0.8FS and 0.6FS are correct guesses. And? All I am saying is that peak amplitude into tweeter section is high, nothing else. Because this is often overlooked and not understood.

I see the line below .6 but whatever, .6fs is close enough, still around half the power. Sure its high but not as high as the woofer.

Top Bottom