• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Farewell my friends. Health is deteriorating - I'm fading out. (Updated - RIP)

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
An update -

My "fading out" has halted for now, and you will see me posting again upon occasion. Thank you all for the kind words and support after I made my life-threatening age-related health issues public.

I have recovered slowly from my illness and extreme weakness, but not to the level of health and fitness I had prior to this terrible episode. I haven't left the house in many weeks, but my Peruvian expat artist friend Richar Huisa and his wife Eulogia came to care for me daily when I was really sick including the times when I felt down and out and started this thread. I really had doubts that I would survive. The Huisa's still come 3-4 times per week. Without their loving care, even in my current partially-recovered condition, I would be in an assisted living facility. Thanks to my wonderful and selfless friends, I am able to continue to live in my little rental house, sit in my living room or home office at the computer, and read, listen to music, watch videos or chat with visiting friends. My continued semi-independent lifestyle is a blessing for which I am extraordinarily thankful.

I can move about the house with my rolling walker, but cannot take more than one or two steps without it. I ride my semi-recumbent exercise bicycle daily for short sessions, and am beginning to do my red light therapy sessions again. In addition to the home-cooked meals brought to me by Richar and his wife, I have food delivered by two local family vendors - one a Mexican American expat couple, and the other a couple who are Russian expats originally from the south of Ukraine who had lived in he U.S. for a number of years before moving on to Panama.

Except for what I see on my computer and videos/movies, I am completely isolated from big-business corporate society, and I thoroughly enjoying life on the outskirts of a small mountain town in the tropical highlands here in western Panama.

I feel confident enough about staying alive and being semi-interdependent for perhaps a few more years that I even ordered a new desktop DAC/amplifier to replace my older I.AM.D. V200 (TAS5614LA based) unit with its failing OLED display and space and tangle-adding external brick power supply. My upgrade is a TPA3255-based Aiyima A08 that has the ideal set of features for me. It has an internal 36v, 9.6a power supply (lower than maximum allowable PS voltage is easier on the amplifier, and should help to keep it working properly longer). Inputs are USB, APT-X Bluetooth, and RCA. I will soon have less cutter, good sound, and a nice looking new audio component - all at a very good price for a unit that so perfectly suits my needs.

View attachment 212023

View attachment 212018
Great news! I look forward to your continued posts. The A08 does not have the greatest reputation, QA and reliability-wise, but the people who got good ones seem very happy with them. I hope you got a good one.

oversky

An update -

My "fading out" has halted for now, and you will see me posting again upon occasion. Thank you all for the kind words and support after I made my life-threatening age-related health issues public.

Welcome back.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Fantastic news mate, good to hear you have improved. :)

I've always feared getting older... however I have recently changed my opinion. This is why... my closest friend died a few weeks ago. It's devastated me... but I'm getting through it with in depth thought. I'm now if the mind we should embrace getting old, as each day we age is another gift of further life, another day we are still here to experience. The older we get, the luckier we are to still be here in this mortal realm.

JSmith
The elderly are survivors. Still there are lots of annoyances.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I somehow missed this when originally posted. So glad to hear you are coming back. Hope you manage to stick around lots longer. Wishing you continued health.

VMAT4

Forum Donor
Hang in there and keep moving about! Great to hear you'll be with us longer.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
An update -

I have recovered slowly from my illness and extreme weakness, but not to the level of health and fitness I had prior to this terrible episode. I haven't left the house in many weeks, but my Peruvian expat artist friend Richar Huisa and his wife Eulogia came to care for me daily when I was really sick including the times when I felt down and out and started this thread. I really had doubts that I would survive. The Huisa's still come 3-4 times per week. Without their loving care, even in my current partially-recovered condition, I would be in an assisted living facility. Thanks to my wonderful and selfless friends, I am able to continue to live in my little rental house, sit in my living room or home office at the computer, and read, listen to music, watch videos or chat with visiting friends. My continued semi-independent lifestyle is a blessing for which I am extraordinarily thankful.

I can move about the house with my rolling walker, but cannot take more than one or two steps without it. I ride my semi-recumbent exercise bicycle daily for short sessions, and am beginning to do my red light therapy sessions again. In addition to the home-cooked meals brought to me by Richar and his wife, I have food delivered by two local family vendors - one a Mexican American expat couple, and the other a couple who are Russian expats originally from the south of Ukraine who had lived in he U.S. for a number of years before moving on to Panama.

Except for what I see on my computer and videos/movies, I am completely isolated from big-business corporate society, and I thoroughly enjoying life on the outskirts of a small mountain town in the tropical highlands here in western Panama.

I feel confident enough about staying alive and being semi-interdependent for perhaps a few more years that I even ordered a new desktop DAC/amplifier to replace my older I.AM.D. V200 (TAS5614LA based) unit with its failing OLED display and space and tangle-adding external brick power supply. My upgrade is a TPA3255-based Aiyima A08 that has the ideal set of features for me. It has an internal 36v, 9.6a power supply (lower than maximum allowable PS voltage is easier on the amplifier, and should help to keep it working properly longer). Inputs are USB, APT-X Bluetooth, and RCA. I will soon have less cutter, good sound, and a nice looking new audio component - all at a very good price for a unit that so perfectly suits my needs.

View attachment 212023

View attachment 212018
I missed this as well. It's delightful to "see" you back among the living!

orangejello

Yes indeed - Panama and Costa Rica are similar bird-watcher's paradise countries. I should put out a feeder like that - I recognize many of the birds in the video from having a bird feeder at my first rental here in 2012-2013. Not many birds come to peoples yards unless there are fruit trees that attract many birds, and flowering shrubs for hummingbirds.
Glad to hear that you are still among the living, but sorry for your difficulties. The video Looks like the birds I see every day from my cabina. I live in a cloud forest in a little town called Tinamaste at about 2600 ft, but only 10 miles from the beach at Dominical. My partner bought a little over 5 acres not too far from here. We are building a small cabina on it. Here is one of the interesting trees in the jungly part of the property.
8E5D1C06-4B19-4EF2-9026-6A5FD0C93E28.jpeg
Here is a toucan munching on a banana rack from our banana and plantain trees outside the cabina door
0F75645E-160F-465F-8FCE-7C336E1100D4.jpeg
And here is the beach….
6F5B7841-8B76-48B1-A752-EF492D197DF3.jpeg
It is a great place. The longer that I am here the more of a nightmare the rest of the world seems at this point in time. We live about 4 hours drive from you. I’m pretty busy with the cabina construction for the next couple of months. Never been to Panama but maybe a road trip would be in order

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am so glad to hear you are healing and gaining strength! That is wonderful news! We are all happy to have you on this earth as long as you would like. :)

Keith Conroy

I write this with sadness - likely the last post here for this 80 y/o audio hobbyist and music lover - as my beautiful 6CA7/6SN7 YarLand vacuum tube amplifier warms my tiny house. It's been a very good life.

View attachment 201905

I was sick two weeks ago, during which I fell (slowly, gently) twice and it took me more than an hour each time to get back up on a piece of furniture - no injuries. My neuropathy has taken a big turn for the worse. My mind is clear, but my body is fading. I have virtually no feeling in my fingers and can no longer walk - even with my rollator/walker (photo below) - so I sit in it like a wheelchair and shuffle around.

Truly wonderful friends - particularly Peruvian artist Richar Huisa, his wife and two daughters (mi familia en Panama) - are feeding me and assisting me, and showering me with love.

ASR has provided me with great pleasure for the past few years, and I want to thank all of you for making ASR the best internet audio community ever. I have spent hours here every day, and feel a wonderful, friendly connection with many of you

I will read responses to my post, but it will be too difficult reply to more than a few, if any.

Farewell, my friends. I will not be back unless a miracle occurs.

View attachment 201904
I'm not a young man myself. I completely understand. These negative health changes are tough to except to say the least. Try to keep your thoughts positive! Keep on the site as best you can even if you need help doing so! GOD BLESS YOU.......!!

Neddy

Just saw this thread. Wanted to let you know how much I've enjoyed your posts and comments.
Wishing you continued recovery, of course.
I was in a non-communicative state a few years ago after a stroke, and 'got to' experience NICU staffers talking about me as if I wasn't laying right there in front of them. Weird, in the extreme. (I did eventually get a nurse who knew to establish 'eye blink' comms, at which point I basically 'yelled' at them!!)
But have now pretty much recovered - in no small part due to superb medical care - and looking forward to keeping busy, excercising brain/body as much as able, and continuing to battle on, pushing the 'ability' envelope a bit more each day!!
Enjoy what you have while you have it, I guess?

mdunjic

I write this with sadness - likely the last post here for this 80 y/o audio hobbyist and music lover - as my beautiful 6CA7/6SN7 YarLand vacuum tube amplifier warms my tiny house. It's been a very good life.

View attachment 201905

I was sick two weeks ago, during which I fell (slowly, gently) twice and it took me more than an hour each time to get back up on a piece of furniture - no injuries. My neuropathy has taken a big turn for the worse. My mind is clear, but my body is fading. I have virtually no feeling in my fingers and can no longer walk - even with my rollator/walker (photo below) - so I sit in it like a wheelchair and shuffle around.

Truly wonderful friends - particularly Peruvian artist Richar Huisa, his wife and two daughters (mi familia en Panama) - are feeding me and assisting me, and showering me with love.

ASR has provided me with great pleasure for the past few years, and I want to thank all of you for making ASR the best internet audio community ever. I have spent hours here every day, and feel a wonderful, friendly connection with many of you

I will read responses to my post, but it will be too difficult reply to more than a few, if any.

Farewell, my friends. I will not be back unless a miracle occurs.

View attachment 201904
Shit ! I still hope things get better for you … I can’t pray, as I am not religious, but wish with all of my heart, for your recovery.

Keith Conroy

Shit ! I still hope things get better for you … I can’t pray, as I am not religious, but wish with all of my heart, for your recovery.
Easy to say, but try to reflect on the fun & beautiful times in your life. At 80 there must have been many!! I know you have made a difference with your posts on ASR....!! Thank you for being who you are!! STAY POSITIVE IF YOU CAN!!

OP
Xulonn

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My condition continues to deteriorate and I will move to an assisted living facility tomorrow. I can barely walk with a walker. I will only have my Android phone for now but still read ASR daily.

Since I can no longer use speakers, I bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 700 Pro X headphones which should work okay with my tablet. I copied about 25,000 of my mp3s to the tablet and can stream internet radio. The quite sensitive and supposedly neutral headphones should arrive today. (Thanks @Geert for the positive comments on the Beyerdynamics.)

Should my end arrive, a friend will post notice on my Facebook page.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Godspeed and comfort to you. You've made a positive impression here and, I'm sure, on your loved ones as well.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
My condition continues to deteriorate and I will move to an assisted living facility tomorrow. I can barely walk with a walker. I will only have my Android phone for now but still read ASR daily.
Very sorry to hear about your health issues. Old age is not for the weak of heart. :(
May the lord shine a good light on your days to come and keep you without pain and further troubles.
God Bless my friend.
Sal

Old Listener

I hope that you can find ways to continue to enjoy your life. I'm going through that process too.

Top Bottom