• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Farewell my friends. Health is deteriorating - I'm fading out. (Updated - RIP)

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I write this with sadness - likely the last post here for this 80 y/o audio hobbyist and music lover - as my beautiful 6CA7/6SN7 YarLand vacuum tube amplifier warms my tiny house. It's been a very good life.

FV-34B-S-DVH-02.jpg

I was sick two weeks ago, during which I fell (slowly, gently) twice and it took me more than an hour each time to get back up on a piece of furniture - no injuries. My neuropathy has taken a big turn for the worse. My mind is clear, but my body is fading. I have virtually no feeling in my fingers and can no longer walk - even with my rollator/walker (photo below) - so I sit in it like a wheelchair and shuffle around.

Truly wonderful friends - particularly Peruvian artist Richar Huisa, his wife and two daughters (mi familia en Panama) - are feeding me and assisting me, and showering me with love.

ASR has provided me with great pleasure for the past few years, and I want to thank all of you for making ASR the best internet audio community ever. I have spent hours here every day, and feel a wonderful, friendly connection with many of you

I will read responses to my post, but it will be too difficult reply to more than a few, if any.

Farewell, my friends. I will not be back unless a miracle occurs.

Nitro Rollator.jpg

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry for what you're going thru, am just waiting for my own version for the most part....and fwiw I've enjoyed your posts and hopefully the diagnosis doesn't turn out particularly accurate (as long as pain isn't increased along those lines, otherwise I'd just say *fuckit*

rodtor

Forum Donor
Since I've been following ASR, I've often noted your contributions, and valued them. You conveyed a genuine decency and generosity in your comments, as well as knowledge and a desire to acquire more and to share it.

Thank you

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thank you for putting me onto the Hadouk quartet and thank you for starting the Ukrainian music thread. If I could give you even a tiny a portion of my health I would. I wish you all the comfort you need, the company of people you love and the music to travel to places far away.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I am so sad to read this @Xulonn. You have been an early cornerstone of our forum, giving us/me so much support since your joining here. All of our prayers and best wishes are there for you. Know that you have made some strong friendships here.....

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Damn :oops: Just damn… that’s not something you wish for anyone. I really have no other words for this…

Fingers crossed you recover from this a bit and are given some more time with you family and friends.

DanielT

Major Contributor
It was very sad to hear.Thanks for all the nice posts here and farewell.

We'll all go that route. What really matters, what you say: It's been a very good life.
It does not get better than that.

I keep my fingers crossed for the time you have left will be with family and friends. And it seems to be because you say Truly wonderful friends ...
Actually, what more could you want when the end comes closer.

Last edited:

USER

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm sorry to hear the news but am glad that you are surrounded by wonderful people and love. That's the best we can have in this life. I've always enjoyed your thoughtful posts and am sending positive thoughts your way.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I read your post with deep sadness. I've always enjoy reading your posts -- especially the stories of your journey through the years. So long my friend, and thanks for all your posts. I'll miss you.

OP
Xulonn

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From my friend Jackie Lange's Panama Relocation Tours website:

The little girl is Micaela Huisa, daughter of the Peruvian friend who is helping me. The last line in the article held true. Article is from ~3 years ago - 2018.
==========================

David Van Harn, a single man living in Boquete, explains why he moved to Panama and what his life is like living in Panama.

david van harn
“I moved to Panama because I couldn’t afford to live in Sonoma County in my beloved Northern California coast region any more. It was either subsidized senior housing or find another place. After eight plus hours of intense Google research on my 70th birthday in December, 2011, Boquete rose to the top of my possible choices. Less than two months later, I was here for a four month stay to check it out. I quickly fell in love with the cool tropical mountain location and the wonderful people here. I am a legal permanent Panama resident, and Boquete has been my home for nearly seven years so far.

The highlights of my week are my showing of matinee movies on Sundays at the local expat-run theater/event center. and participating at the Tuesday morning international market at the same location. Two to three days per week, I do wood turning at my shop. Beaches and great hiking trails are nearby, but I don’t take advantage of them as often as I should. I occasionally have breakfast, lunch or dinner at one of our many low-to-medium priced restaurants. On weekends there might be jazz, oldies, and even chamber music at local venues.

The people here are wonderful. I have many friends here – not only Panamanians, but expats from Peru, Venezuela, Colombia, U.S.A., Australia, Ukraine, Italy, Turkey, and elsewhere in the world.

I am a widower, and although I don’t have a girlfriend – and don’t feel compelled to find one – I have several close women friends who are either expats or regular seasonal visitors to Boquete, as well as a number of male friends. I can’t think of a time when I have gone to downtown Boquete and not exchanged greetings with someone I know whose path I crossed randomly.

My support system in Panama is better than it was in the U.S. With so many friends here, help is a phone call away if I need it
.”

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
It's been a very good life.
I'm very glad to hear this. I hope whatever the next step in this universe is finds you well. Peace to you and your loved ones at this difficult time, God bless.

I wish to share this song which someone I lost enjoyed and hope it resonates with you in some positive way;

JSmith

Top Bottom