• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fane Sovereign 12-250TC project measurements

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps for the record, the one I linked to was just the first coaxial pro driver brand that sprung to mind. No particular recommendation or anything.
Some of the B&C ones seem to be recommended. BMS also has some monster coaxials, like this tri-axial:

https://www.bmsspeakers.com/index.php-138.html?id=bms_15cn890

(note that their TLS certificate is currently expired (2 days ago), so it will give you a browser error)

Like some of the B&C ones, they have a horn that help with IMD issues, but they obviously give a much less refined response that needs more processing to get good.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some of the B&C ones seem to be recommended. BMS also has some monster coaxials, like this tri-axial:

https://www.bmsspeakers.com/index.php-138.html?id=bms_15cn890

(note that their TLS certificate is currently expired (2 days ago), so it will give you a browser error)

Like some of the B&C ones, they have a horn that help with IMD issues, but they obviously give a much less refined response that needs more processing to get good.

How much is this tri-axial beast?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How much is this tri-axial beast?
€ 934 a pop is you buy two of them.

And you’ll need to tame this:
1656695402093.gif

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
€ 934 a pop is you buy two of them.

And you’ll need to tame this:
View attachment 215970

Usually coaxials are designed with directivity in mind (since every bigger driver works as a waveguide for the smaller ones) this could potentially make one bad-ass full-range. I have to play with the parameters a bit though and see how much low frequency extension you can get with this.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah this will probably make someone with a theater hall sized home cinema very happy (8 o 16 meters away from speakers) but this is no way going to be a full range speaker.

With a Linkwitz transform and an FA503 you can get 108db/m with no compression (BW 12db/oct @45Hz). Very deep Subbass will suffer from that point on.

1656698125492.png

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Usually coaxials are designed with directivity in mind (since every bigger driver works as a waveguide for the smaller ones) this could potentially make one bad-ass full-range. I have to play with the parameters a bit though and see how much low frequency extension you can get with this.
Here is what a smaller 10” BMS can do:

The 15” BMS has fairly decent parameters for a “normal box”. Quite a bit of excursion, too. Probably best stick to BR if you want full range.

The Faital does a bit better excursion wise. It’s “only” € 634 a pop for two. Tune it a bit lower and it will do 110+ dB at 30 Hz.

But we’re high jacking the topic… I’ll probably open a Crazy PA coaxial for HiFi topic to discuss further ;)

jamescarter1982

this is exactly the thread I was hoping for I have the 15inch version and love it with lots of eq . would like to experiment to try to improve the dispersion . managed to improve the horizontal a bit by slightly obscuring the sides of the driver with prices of wood so it sees a 7inch opening really disappointed they stopped making the 15 was thinking or making a sort of line array with two or three per side could be awesomely loud and tactile while barely moving at all so assume almost no distortion.
After eq the speaker sounds so relaxed making smaller speakers sound strained please let us know what you do with the 15300tc !!!

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Off-axis, the 12” version seems to look a bit better than the 15”. Especially between 1 and 4.5 kHz the 15” has a dip off-axis. At least, that is what can be seen from the limited datasheet data.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
In fact I’m not so sure it’s a shame they supposedly stopped producing the fifteen. The twelves seem to make more sense in too many ways.

jamescarter1982

In fact I’m not so sure it’s a shame they supposedly stopped producing the fifteen. The twelves seem to make more sense in too many ways.
could you elaborate a bit I would have thought it would always be better to have a couple extra inches ha ?

OP
P

ppataki

Major Contributor
please let us know what you do with the 15300tc !!!
For now they will rest in the garage. My MCLAs have just been finished a few months ago..... :D
But probably later this year or beginning of next year I will venture into this project with the 15"s:

1656707479225.png

(ignore the high Qtc, these beasts would need a box of 284 liters to reach a Qtc of 0.707 - I will use DSP to shape the low end too so I guess it should not matter that much anyway)

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
could you elaborate a bit I would have thought it would always be better to have a couple extra inches ha ?
The other guys beat me two it basically. :) See posts 48 and 52 (directivity and box size). Another drawback would be the beaming that starts earlier with the bigger driver.

In all fairness though, some of this is personal, some of it can be worked around, and some may be less of an issue in practice than it seems.

However if I would have to choose again I’d probably go for the twelves as I think they’d be an easier starting point for arriving at something sensible for the domestic environment.

Digby

Major Contributor
But we’re high jacking the topic… I’ll probably open a Crazy PA coaxial for HiFi topic to discuss further ;)
My fault for the original digression, I take full responsibility and endorse a new thread for crazy PA coaxials. :cool:

jamescarter1982

For now they will rest in the garage. My MCLAs have just been finished a few months ago..... :D
But probably later this year or beginning of next year I will venture into this project with the 15"s:

View attachment 215990

(ignore the high Qtc, these beasts would need a box of 284 liters to reach a Qtc of 0.707 - I will use DSP to shape the low end too so I guess it should not matter that much anyway)
what was the programme you used there please winisd?

jamescarter1982

The other guys beat me two it basically. :) See posts 48 and 52 (directivity and box size). Another drawback would be the beaming that starts earlier with the bigger driver.

In all fairness though, some of this is personal, some of it can be worked around, and some may be less of an issue in practice than it seems.

However if I would have to choose again I’d probably go for the twelves as I think they’d be an easier starting point for arriving at something sensible for the domestic environment.
as you said its all personal I have mine In about 80ltrs and its not intrusive I'm the room at all I was thinking about also trying the fane on top and another 15 below for the lower bass in another 80-100 ltrs big speakers don't bother me in the slightest bigger the better actually

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Understand.

So my point is - if you do that, which advantage to the fifteens remains compared to doing exactly the same but with twelves on top?

jamescarter1982

Understand.

So my point is - if you do that, which advantage to the fifteens remains compared to doing exactly the same but with twelves on top?
I assumed what I liked about the sound of the 15 (everything sounding relaxed ) was to do with the large surface area for the midrange so the speaker is hardly moving at all for normal listen levels . havnt heard the 12s so I guess I can't really judge but it made me want to keep as big a midrange as possible in anything I decided to make

Top Bottom