• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Factoring in Customer Service

OP
V

VBSurrey

Forum Donor
For anyone else interested in this topic, I am NOT talking about a general measure like customer satisfaction. I am talking about leasring things that can be measured accurately such as
Shipment dates met or missed
Time taken to respond to a customer query

simbloke

Forum Donor
For me it kinda depends on the size and price of the item. It don't want to risk or hassle of sending large and/or expensive items overseas. My amps came from France to the UK, when I buy speakers they be from a UK shop (and drop shipped I bet). With something cheaper like electronics from China I'd have to be prepared to write it off.

As for the quality of the customer service, well so much of what you read on the net is from the vocal minority, it's hard to judge. I do take note of particularly bad suppliers or manufacturers but for products we're talking about at least, no one stands out (to me).

OP
V

VBSurrey

Forum Donor
Seems like this is the prevailing sentiment. Shame though that ASR does not have a process to identify and spotlight dodgy merchants

Zensō

Major Contributor
Seems like this is the prevailing sentiment. Shame though that ASR does not have a process to identify and spotlight dodgy merchants
Honestly, a quick Google search and about 5 minutes of research usually surfaces any egregious CS issues.

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
People do share feedback on merchants and manufactures on here, both good and bad, and it's great that they do. I think that's about the best you can hope for.

ASR reviews have clear terms of reference and they don't include wider customer service issues. The only person that change this is amirm. You could try and ask, but I wouldn't hold your breath!

threni

Major Contributor
Hi Swtobuy,

I am very pleased that you agree with my comments that customer service is an important factor. The bigger question is should ASR continue to list a product which has been measured and is technically an excellent product. But, if there are many well-documented cases of extremely poor customer service (bordering on the fraudulent) is it correct to continue to list that product as a top rated product?

That really was the sentiment that prompted this post

What does the service provided by the retailer have to do with the quality of the product produced by the manufacturer? I would not be any less interested in buying a Topping E30 from retailer 1 just because you felt retailer 2 took too long to deliver yours. Nor, I would wager, would anyone else.

Talk about retailers doesn't seem to be a very good fit for a site about audio products. I understand that there are other sites which do that; I sometimes check them out but it's hard to take them too seriously due to the whole "trust a stranger to be honest when they could be shills or dumping on competitors" problem.

Even if a manufacturer only sold their stuff directly, and had a bad reputation for customer service, it would barely be worth more than a passing mention in a review because stuff is generally cheap; any guarantee/warranty would only be valid for the first n% of the product's life; you might prefer to pay for a quick fix locally vs paying for postage halfway around the world and waiting months to get it back.

Last edited:

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
Seems like this is the prevailing sentiment.
As I would hope. ASR is not a general purpose consumer watchdog site. It is for establishing the technical excellence (or lack thereof) of audio gear - no more nor less. There are so many different rules, regulations, standards and conventions around the world it would be impossible for ASR to make any meningful contribution. 'Good' customer service can only really be judged in comparison to what is regarded as normal (and legally obligated) where you live. Most countries have local consumer authorities, and various public or private watchdog bodies/websites for this purpose.

Katji

Major Contributor
You can talk about it in the "open talk" /non-av section.
Like someone said, google - or ask on local forum. ...And find that it's 50-50, 60-40, individual experience. Bad day. Different people.

OP
V

VBSurrey

Forum Donor
Hi Guys,

Thank you for the responses. I completely agree that it will not be fair to hold a manufacturer responsible for retailers actions (or inaction)

In my particular case I will use a lawyer to recover the sum prepaid. Still leaves a sour taste in my mouth and detracts from what otherwise has been an excellent experience with ASR. Long may that journey continue.

Katji

Major Contributor
For anyone else interested in this topic, I am NOT talking about a general measure like customer satisfaction. I am talking about leasring things that can be measured accurately such as
Shipment dates met or missed
[...]
What I was referring to was poor customer service in getting the purchased item to me in the first place.
You need to think about that more.
Shipment by whom? The vendor [which may be the manufacturer direct.] But then you refer to listing products and manufacturer, but the manufacturer does not control the shipping process.

But whatever. Let's say it's shipped the next day. ok. And then?
...Should I go into detail, all the logistics factors?
So they ship it the same day, fine. Then UPS / Fedex / DHL.
Guess what. The service level / competency - including competency of communication - of the same corporate courier service varies per country. So does the Customs process, even though the courier is directly involved.
etc. etc. But it is really beyond the manufacturer or vendor.

Anyway, aside from all that, the logistics, we cannot come up with a model that will fit this international community situation.

Hipper

There are a number of considerations in buying equipment beyond measuring its sound of which customer service is just one:

usability (ease of use, connectivity, manuals), reliability, and appearance come to mind. Not to mention lesser issues that are important to some, such as how it behaves in relation to humidity, or atmospheric pressure.

OP
V

VBSurrey

Forum Donor
Hi Guys,

I agree. A bridge too far obviously.

I have sent an email threatening legal action. The legal position is clear

There was a contract
The contract stipulated a shipment date
The shipment date was not met
This is a breach of contract

I realise that these things happen and, in this strange world, delays are to be expected. Not replying to an email for a week is unacceptable

I know how to handle this and have dealt with slippery merchants before. They, like everyone else, are not above the law

Hipper

Hi Guys,

I agree. A bridge too far obviously.

I have sent an email threatening legal action. The legal position is clear

There was a contract
The contract stipulated a shipment date
The shipment date was not met
This is a breach of contract

I realise that these things happen and, in this strange world, delays are to be expected. Not replying to an email for a week is unacceptable

I know how to handle this and have dealt with slippery merchants before. They, like everyone else, are not above the law

I assume you are in the UK.

I had a similar situation and after quite a few e-mails which got no response I contacted the Citizens Advice Bureau. They advised me to write the following letter:

Order No XXX

Under the Consumer Contracts (Information Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013 I hereby exercise my right to cancel the above order.

These regulations require you to refund all my money within fourteen days.

I have sent you a 'Signed For' letter with similar content.

If you fail to refund my money within fourteen days I will be taking further proceedings.

Attached was a copy of the invoice.

I got an immediate refund and a sob story about how it must have been lost in the post.

There may also be other avenues to recover your money. If you used a credit card that is an obvious way, but using a debit card also brings rights, if less comprehensive. I was just out of time with the debit card.

For me it is the only time I've been let down by an online retailer. Normally they are brilliant.

OP
V

VBSurrey

Forum Donor
Hi Hipper,

Many thanks for your very useful response. As it happens the manufacturer is located in Europe so I cannot use UK legislation. What I did do was threaten that I would hand the matter to a lawyer in that country in which event legal fees would be payable by them in addition to the prepaid invoice.

That did the trick and they have promised to dispatch the unit to me on Monday 15th February. We shall see

Many thanks once again

dixonfel

I own a small audio store and I want to reflect the situation in my understanding

OP
V

VBSurrey

Forum Donor
Hi Dixonfel,

Wellcome to the forum.

The point I was trying to make was that we should take into account customer service in addition to measurements since that would provide what I think would be a complete picture of the customer experience.

From your viewpoint since you say you run an audio store I think there is an opportunity to support the equipment which have been objectively rated as excellent by Amir. Of course you will need to charge for the service element but I know that is something that I would personally pay for on top of the cost of the equipment itself.

I’m not sure whether other members agree with me.

Hope this helps

dixonfel

I own a small audio store and I want to reflect the situation in my understanding. I do not think that I am responsible for the low-quality goods supplied by the manufacturer. I'm just a salesman. But - I am responsible for providing the customer with the most complete and accurate information about the product. If I am responsible for the manufacturer, I will go bankrupt. Audio products is business when you have a lot of purchases and then there is no profit at all. And I often resort to factoring services to stay in business. I can't be responsible for the manufacturer.

OP
V

VBSurrey

Forum Donor
Hi,

Not sure where you are located but, in the UK, the law is very clear. It is the retailer that is responsible for the quality of goods sold and not the manufacturer. You can understand why this is the case. Many electronic goods are manufactured in China. It does not help the customer if the retailer responds to a warranty claim by asking the customer to contact the manufacturer in China.

You should have a very clear and enforceable agreement with the manufacturer before your stock any goods at all.

Top Bottom