• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SOLD!!!: Power Sound Audio S42 IPAL - $3800 - local pickup in Chicago

nerdoldnerdith

I am selling my Power Sound Audio S42 IPAL for $3800. Currently this goes for $5000 new. The warranty is transferable, so you will be getting a sub in mint condition with four years still left on the warranty.

I figure I should post this here as well since this crowd probably has a better understanding of how good this sub is. Here is the data-bass.com review of the DIY version of the sub with a slightly more power amplifier:

As you can see, the sub hits 130+ dB in the midbass with miniscule distortion and compression. The 4000 watt amplifier in the Power Sound Audio version has about 1.5dB less output, so expect slightly less where the subwoofer is amplifier limited. Performance from 0-25Hz should be very similar or even a little bit better because the Power Sound Audio version has a larger enclosure.

Notice in the compression sweeps how the sub is able to be pushed to 130dB with less than 1dB of compression (what is considered the audible limit of compression). This is a level of output that is unheard of from a subwoofer; most home theater subs would be lucky to hit 115dB in the midbass without compression. Distortion is also some of the lowest ever measured as well, with the sub blowing past 130dB with less than 2% distortion.

So why am I selling?

I decided to go with Funk Audio and Harbottle for my theater, and this doesn't really fit with the rest of the subs in my room. I already have two 24's, two 18's, and three 21's not including this, so I just don't need it in my room. The other subs also can't keep up with it in the midbass, so I am unable to use it to its full potential.

Local pickup in Chicago is a must. I can help get it into your vehicle and help put it in your room if need be. I don't have the original packaging anymore.

OP
N

nerdoldnerdith

BUMP

This is your opportunity to own a truly endgame sub for less than the cost of its parts. These drivers are among the most powerful subwoofer drivers ever made and cost $1700 a piece. They contain 9 lbs of neodymium each and have a BL^2/Re of 521. That's ridiculously powerful... The amplifier costs $1500. You would have to spend $4900 on just the drivers and amp to try to build something like this yourself, and that doesn't even go into the enclosure, finishing etc. I guarantee that there is no way possible to get this level of performance from a single subwoofer of similar size at this cost, even if you tried to design everything yourself. It is a bargain considering the ridiculous level of performance it offers.

Top Bottom