• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extreme Snake Oil

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I admittedly haven’t listened to these, but $700+ fuses seems pretty startling to me.

Quantum Fuses

Claims to be a sceptic but when pushed to try a loaner set, and consequently listening very attentively to see if he can hear any change, notices all the wonderful things his system has been doing all along.

But instead of continuing to be sceptical and considering this as a possibility he's sold right away. Goes and buys some cheap ones but they're not as good, Tries some really expensive ones and - inevitably - they are even better than the first ones.

Pretty predictable.

RobC91

I wonder how much money he makes with these things. Enough, or is it just one of his sidelines, like Adsense revenue from his Youtube channel/s?
Obviously cheap to produce, maybe he finds it fun. Especially when he thinks of the suckers who might buy them. I mean maybe he's taking the piss.
I doubt he makes enough to pay for a new DAC to try each month...

This is kind of like the brand's gateway drug, they will get you to upgrade to their "resonators", which costs from about 200 EURO to 1700 EURO. And of course they will encourage you to buy a few to maximize the benefits. They do sell super expensive cables (2300 EURO) as well, but unlike their competitors, they look like cheap a** cables you can buy for a dollar. Feels like Fengshui master found a new market that is untapped by his competitors.

Here's some sales speak:

The acoustic resonators are small but powerful tools for room tuning, noise reduction and to minimize air turbulences. Our retailers and distributors in the hifi sector are trained in how to set up basic and more advanced resonator treatments. On the next page, we also provide starting instructions for standard rectangular rooms. Very small adjustments in how high or low the resonators are mounted and how their wings are turned relative to the listener can have surprisingly powerful effects on soundstage focus, virtual stage width and depth, bass clarity, treble extension and more. We encourage you to experiment. Please allow for the full effect to stabilize over 24 hours.

Acoustic-System-International-Platinum-Resonator-02.jpg
hero.jpg
Acoustic-System-International-Reference-Speaker-Cable-3m-106.jpg

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
432 EVO Master music server

tl ; dr

Put a mITX board in a mITX chassis pour some subjective audiophile snake oil mumbo jumbo over it and you can charge €12.500 for it...

egellings

Major Contributor
MattHooper: your logic is absolutely unassailable; I wholeheartedly agree.

UniPolar

Hmmmm... I think the business who sent out this ad may be popular here on ASR... :oops:
Nonetheless, would you be so inclined to believe this claim ?
Screenshot_2021-10-15 [1238] - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

audio2design

Major Contributor
I believe just about everything recommended by Millercarbon over on AudiogoN qualifies as extreme snake oil. This likely includes ALL of the ridiculous paraphernalia above, including Silly Science fuses... :cool:

Millercarbon quote: "I'm sorry people understand electricity so poorly they don't even know what a fuse is, or does, or why. Have yet to see the part of electricity they do understand. "Lethal voltage!" is about the extent of it. Not that it matters. Don't need to understand a thing, except that you put one of these fuses in and you better be prepared to have your mind blown."

:facepalm:

Speaking of stupid .... AudioGon is a wealth of "audiophile" humor. This would barely even get me to raise my eyebrows reading that forum.

aslan7

This is the special end of summer sale price. Whatever you do don’t criticize these cables when in the company of the people who admire them. There is no room for discussion and they really get angry.

Lambda

Major Contributor

UniPolar

This is the special end of summer sale price. Whatever you do don’t criticize these cables when in the company of the people who admire them. There is no room for discussion and they really get angry.
And this is the 'extreme' version. Surely they must also have a 'lite' version for those who only want half of the improvement.

aslan7

The guy who is selling this stuff has been in the business for decades and is pretty knowledgeable—I sort of like him. It is surprising that he sells this nonsense but the almighty dollar rules. He used to sell Wireworld and I confess buying the fancy USB cable that Amir debunked. Anyhow, it is a standard Americanism that a sucker is born every minute.

bladerunner6

Forum Donor
Sometimes I don't know if "audiophiles" are gullible, arrogant, or just really really stupid. As time goes on, I lean more towards stupid.
It depends.

Some actually believe it. I think the majority believe buying this stuff makes them superior to others. Or they have a complex and this compensates for a feeling of inferiority.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmmmm... I think the business who sent out this ad may be popular here on ASR... :oops:
Nonetheless, would you be so inclined to believe this claim ?
View attachment 159300
This makes me sad.

Before they dropped the price, I was saving $1,500 by not buying the thing. Now I'm only saving $750.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It depends.

Some actually believe it. I think the majority believe buying this stuff makes them superior to others. Or they have a complex and this compensates for a feeling of inferiority.
I think that's a bit unfair. I wonder if we have any psychologists in the house who could offer an explanation?

I think it only takes one person to try these products and report 'veils lifted' to create a 'Fear of missing out' that brings others on board.

Added to which a lot of people are dissatisfied with the sound they are getting, likely because they have cobbled their set-up together from reading subjective reviews and so there is no logic behind it and they do not have the knowledge to work out what the real issues are. A 'magic bullet' plug and play solution looks good to them.

Once they have bought the foo then it is difficult to report that it has not solved the problem as they will be accused of having poor hearing or an inferior system that does not reveal the difference. So they will say that the soundstage has widened, or that details they could not hear before are now apparent, whilst still being dissatisfied overall. This is an acceptable and credible position that will still be seen as a positive appraisal of the foo device.

This then encourages others to get on board. Does not matter if they do not have a problem to fix there is still the possibility of better sound quality.

Even very intelligent people do stupid things if they have moved into an area where they lack knowledge.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
I think that's a bit unfair. I wonder if we have any psychologists in the house who could offer an explanation?

I think it only takes one person to try these products and report 'veils lifted' to create a 'Fear of missing out' that brings others on board.

Added to which a lot of people are dissatisfied with the sound they are getting, likely because they have cobbled their set-up together from reading subjective reviews and so there is no logic behind it and they do not have the knowledge to work out what the real issues are. A 'magic bullet' plug and play solution looks good to them.

Once they have bought the foo then it is difficult to report that it has not solved the problem as they will be accused of having poor hearing or an inferior system that does not reveal the difference. So they will say that the soundstage has widened, or that details they could not hear before are now apparent, whilst still being dissatisfied overall. This is an acceptable and credible position that will still be seen as a positive appraisal of the foo device.

This then encourages others to get on board. Does not matter if they do not have a problem to fix there is still the possibility of better sound quality.

Even very intelligent people do stupid things if they have moved into an area where they lack knowledge.
Have you forgotten all the stupid things said about covid by very smart and professional people?

you lack knowledge...

Top Bottom