• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extreme Snake Oil

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I bet he used X-Rays though, he didn't just root around where he sensed there might be some tooth damage.
marathon-man.gif

DonR

Major Contributor
I bet he used X-Rays though, he didn't just root around where he sensed there might be some tooth damage.
He was very science focused and was keen to show off all his latest pieces of equipment to the patients. Such a shame he passed away and was replaced with one who simply waxed on about his high-end hifi. Leaving the practice was an easy decision on my part.

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I love this kind of threads. The amount of backslapping is giving me a massage.

In no actual science that I know of there’s so much wit, energy and emotion congratulating themselves that they’re the anointed ones. People doing science usually get on with it and don’t talk about snake oil so much.

But sure, it’s fun. Like every economics class I took, which took pains to explain how economics was an actual science.

DonR

Major Contributor
I love this kind of threads. The amount of backslapping is giving me a massage.

In no actual science that I know of there’s so much wit, energy and emotion congratulating themselves that they’re the anointed ones. People doing science usually get on with it and don’t talk about snake oil so much.

But sure, it’s fun. Like every economics class I took, which took pains to explain how economics was an actual science.
You always have the choice to ignore the thread.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like the pragmatic Benchmark / Blue Jeans approach to selling high-end cables: They recognize that there comes a time to shut one's mouth, smile, and collect the money!

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Els

Having been kind of into it in the 80s and early 90s I disagree - If you went to a store or pulled a magazine off a rack, you were getting pretty subjectivist views.
A objectiviste is an audiophile who praises equipment he has never heard, a subjectiviste is a audiophile who praises equipment he has never measured.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I like the pragmatic Benchmark / Blue Jeans approach to selling high-end cables: They recognize that there comes a time to shut one's mouth, smile, and collect the money!
Wait...Blue Jeans is high end now?

Els

That is a totally wrongheaded mischaracterization. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Objectivists and subjectivists both listen to equipment. Both of them want to tell other people what they heard, whether good or bad.

View it similar to describing the taste of food. The subjectivist uses words. The reader will be sure that the subjectivist tasted the food, and that they had a certain impression, but the reader has no idea whether they themselves would experience the same taste. The reason is that words are very poor at describing tastes relative to someone else's experiences.

The objectivist includes the recipe. Now the reader can experience the same taste, no matter where they are or what sort of kitchen they have.

Objectivists definitely listen to equipment, but they use tests and measurements the way a foodie uses a recipe ...... to transfer a much more accurate distillation of their experience to someone else.

Jim
Serious foodies create recipes.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Intelligently priced cables. No mention of cosmic ray blocking sheathing, just basic wire with a decent profit.
Oh, good. I was going to throw mine away if they were "high end" now.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A objectiviste is an audiophile who praises equipment he has never heard, a subjectiviste is an audiophile who praises equipment he has never measured.
I like to listen to music on my sound system. Audiophiles like to listen to their sound systems with music.

I do like the “objectiviste” typo. Sounds better as a French adjectival noun. Nous sommes objectivistes!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I like to listen to music on my sound system. Audiophiles like to listen to their sound systems with music.

I do like the “objectiviste” typo. Sounds better as a French adjectival noun. Nous sommes objectivistes!
Sounds kind of subversive, too. I picture myself furtively listening to forbidden equipment. Viva la horn!

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I invested quite a few thousands in tubes (amps/etc). 100% objectively :)

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Burn in signal... It is a free download though. It's snake oil but at least it's free snake oil.
I once did a free download of a 'pure silence' CD.:oops:
I wanted keep the OEM-stereo stock but wanted an AUX-in (3.5mm) for a portable media player.
In this case, the audiophool was/is my car's stereo.

202212_TimeB00mb.png

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I wanted keep the OEM-stereo stock but wanted an AUX-in (3.5mm) for a portable media player.
In this case, the audiophool was/is my car's stereo.
In this case I see the house is on fire so for in-wall use speaker cable should be CL2 (up to 150W's and CL3 (up to 300W).
Network cables use a CM, CMP, or CMR ratings. I'm not sure on the differences there.
It's all about the wires ability to burn and transfer flame.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In this case I see the house is on fire
Most definitely, that would be the perfect time to change them!:facepalm:

I have been considering those pliable, silicone-insulated, 12AWG cables which have like 638 [?] tin-plated strands, for my speaker cables.
Not that they will improve the sound but I found some that are wood-ish color that will match the rest of the wood all around the house.;)

I don't even care if they are another audiophool's elixir.

Last edited:

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Audiophile Opens Up Shunyata Product, Doesn't Really Know What It Does:

This is certainly a case where an Amir break down/test would be so much more informative.

Top Bottom