• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extreme Snake Oil

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Burn in signal

''The Audio Engineers burn-in and fine-tuning HD sounds is designed to completely condition the capacitive and diode-like effects within audio components, loudspeakers and audio cables. The result is a more coherent and extended high-frequency reproduction along with a sense of listening experience''

It is a free download though. It's snake oil but at least it's free snake oil.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Burn in signal

''The Audio Engineers burn-in and fine-tuning HD sounds is designed to completely condition the capacitive and diode-like effects within audio components, loudspeakers and audio cables. The result is a more coherent and extended high-frequency reproduction along with a sense of listening experience''

It is a free download though. It's snake oil but at least it's free snake oil.
I had enough of that nonsense via the (gifted to me) Densen 'De Magic' CD. A blast of the most obnoxious atonal noise through the system which then fades out, fecking up one's ears even out of the room but within earshot of the din and 'everything' then sounding total shite thereafter for a few hours until one's ears had re-acclimatised as much as possible...

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

For those tonearm burn in scenarios where you just can’t wait.

ehabheikal

I have a theory on why some pay thousands for placebo products in the audiophile world.
I believe that such deniers of measurements are very weak in knowledge of science and maths.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a theory on why some pay thousands for placebo products in the audiophile world.
I believe that such deniers of measurements are very weak in knowledge of science and maths.
I think that's a given, yes. But there are other factors. For example, wanting to believe that you have a superior system by virtue of cost. Exotic looks seem to count for a lot, too.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I disagree. Plenty who should know better, who aren't weak in science or math get sucked into the same situation. All humans are susceptible to such behavior under the right circumstances.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Many well-heeled audiophiles are doctors, lawyers, and such, some of whom are quite knowledgeable in science and math. It doesn't always translate to knowledge outside their field of expertise, and perhaps they are not strong in physics or electronics. I have known one or two who consider engineers on the same level as mechanics and dismiss their opinions as ignorant of fundamentals or basic research, the old "scientist vs. engineer" debate. I have certainly met "virtue signalers" out to impress the neighbors, but the vast majority in my experience are simply convinced by what they hear, or think they hear (perhaps guided by a salesman), and buy based upon that. It is extremely easy to convince yourself you hear something, true or not, and decide you must have it. And I can put "myself" and "I" into that sentence quite easily. Once a difference is accepted as fact without hard proof, driven by belief, it is almost impossible to convince them (or myself) otherwise. And as has been brought up in other threads, actually performing a controlled experiment can be hard, humbling, and is rarely done, so the myths live on.

FWIWFM - Don

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sheesh. The doctors and lawyers I know are sensible. I must be hanging with the wrong crowd ;)

sq225917

Major Contributor
Some people like big ticket items, some people like to show off, some like to be part of an exclusive club, some like a good story, some believe mumbo jumbo, some think they have superman hearing, some like to be first to find a thing and some just don't know any better, and none of the above predilections are mutually exclusive.

DonR

Major Contributor
My ex-dentist was a big believer in "trusting his ears" and that "we can't measure everything". Education, even a science-based one, doesn't seem to be an impediment.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It is not really a shame. It is just being human.

I knew a chemist. Very sciency guy. He had friends with high end gear. He heard the difference, and hearing is believing. He wasn't knowledgable about psycho-acoustics or electronics. Subjectivists sometimes hurl the insult that objectivists think we know all there is no know about hearing. Well real scientists don't think that way. So if you had asked about unlikely things like wire making a difference the chemist probably would assume it was possible to figure it out, but maybe not easy and maybe had never been done. With a detailed explanation he wouldn't have been incredulous. Yet you cannot underestimate the effect personal experience has even when you were fooled. As the saying attributed to Mark Twain goes, "it is easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled".

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
It’s all down to this one Song!

1669926889810.jpeg

ta240

Major Contributor
First, people both want to belong and they want to be special. Thus, I'm special because I can hear the difference and I belong to the group of people that can hear it. Honestly, they are, for the most part, a fun group.
Second, audio involves one of our senses, so while they might trust the engineer that designs the bridge to logic they could argue for hours as to if the bridge is attractive or not.
Finally, some just don't like the sound of the most technically correct sounding setup. I guess if they called it the most pleasing version of the sound instead of the most detailed then most arguments would go away. I think of it like the with and without makeup pictures of celebrities; some need some 2nd harmonics...

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
i'd post a song reply to this, but this time i'll rather self-censor :D

Top Bottom