• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extreme Snake Oil

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Like any other claimant, they can still win me over with proper evidence that their stuff works better. I guess I'll be waiting a long time, though.
Don't hold your breath.

irontortoise

Two wrongs don't make a right but then this is the wacky world of audiophilia where the laws of physics are suspended and, like in 'Stingray', anything can happen in the next half hour.
But remember, 3 lefts do make a right! Totally scientific.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A Gedankenexperiment: If one installs the fuse backwards and also installs one's one-way interconnect(s) backwards, is the net result silence?
Define 'silence'! Don't go to the forest and try to prove to me what happens when a tree falls...:facepalm:
Now how does that work for AC fuses?
AC, DC, LGBQTIA++: none of that matters. It should work for all the same!

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Two wrongs don't make a right but then this is the wacky world of audiophilia where the laws of physics are suspended and, like in 'Stingray', anything can happen in the next half hour.
Stingray...?!?

image-asset.png

:cool:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Saw this Carver HR-895 in front walkway of some apartments.
202209_CarverHR985Front.jpg

202209_CarverHR985Rear.jpg

It's been there over the weekend and still no takers! Perhaps because it weighs ~40 pounds.
Was Bob Carver the best (snake oil?) salesman of his era (although, he offered people what (he thought) they wanted)?

Bow_Wazoo

Addicted to Fun and Learning

A 50000 Euro DAC.
I asked if they would kindly provide me with some measurement results.
I have now from my sarcasm.
I was taken seriously and sent a measurement protocol.

Screenshot_20220927_104906.jpg

If I were a millionaire, I would probably spend a few hundred thousand euros to buy hifi from this company. I am serious about that.

delta76

Major Contributor
Is that supposed to be impressive?
it is as good as it gets. At this level you are limited by the measurement instruments
luxury product + top end craftmanship + virtually perfect measurements mean very high price. this is not a snake oil. but you can be sure audiophiles will swear how much this improves the sound

Last edited:

mansr

Major Contributor
it is as good as it gets.
Are we looking at the same plots? The one I'm seeing shows a second harmonic at about -110 dB with third and fourth not far below. That's quite far from "as good as it gets." The frequency response also starts dropping off already at 10 kHz. It's probably audibly indistinguishable from any other reasonable DAC, but those figures are not in any way impressive.

Bow_Wazoo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sure, my E50 Dac kills this 50 000 € baby.
Still, I'm impressed that they use analyzers...

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Saw this Carver HR-895 in front walkway of some apartments.
View attachment 233466
View attachment 233468
It's been there over the weekend and still no takers! Perhaps because it weighs ~40 pounds.
Was Bob Carver the best (snake oil?) salesman of his era (although, he offered people what (he thought) they wanted)?
I don't recall him as snake oil. He was pretty honest about what he was selling.

Anton S

Bob Carver wasn't shy about thinking outside the box. Most of his designs were competitive with other equipment of the day. (In those days, .1% THD at rated power was considered "decent" - better than the analog sources that dominated the marketplace.) A lot of folks with low efficiency speakers like the AR's, but not a lot of money, opted for Carver amps to provide enough horsepower for them. The Carver M400 amps literally sold themselves.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How about a £4200 fuse?

''Much of this may sound outrageous, but only to those who have not had the chance to hear it for themselves.''

antcollinet

Master Contributor
How about a £4200 fuse?

''Much of this may sound outrageous, but only to those who have not had the chance to hear it for themselves.''

With more than 22 years of research into what they call 'Bottle Neck Distortion'

And everyone else who's not dead from the neck up calls "Huh???"

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And everyone else who's not dead from the neck up calls "Huh???"
read the linked review, it's unintentionally hilarious. I'd post a few gems but it won't let me copy and paste. The 'designer' appears to be making 'scientific breakthroughs' every couple of months, resulting in more and more expensive fuses, each better than the last. It's risible.

Victor Martell

Not enough. Needs more details about who your friends and family are and other random facts about your career in business administration and real estate.
Have you tried changing the cables inside the speakers and the amps or these cables don't matter?
I tried to include the replied to post but I am late to the game, thinking it was deleted. That said @BALKAN_RAKIA - right on point in your reply. But to tell you the truth, lemme repeat a comment made in the past - as a general rule most peeps claiming super impressive credentials while on the magical thinking side of the argument... well, are lying! :D

No, they don't have 3 PhDs, additional composition and engineering degrees, nor do they have 100s and 100s of years of experience in the recording industry etc. They don't understand that argument by invented authority it is not only a logical fallacy, it makes it even more obvious they are lying.

Do apologize for replying to a month old post, but haven't had the chance to check the forum...

v

sq225917

Major Contributor
0.3db down @ 20khz, for shame. Noise at -160db, I'll give them a pass on the fft, as we don't know how long it ran or how these measurements stack up against an AP.

Either way it's all utterly inaudible

Top Bottom