• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extreme Snake Oil

Scrappy

I think it's just an unwritten audiophile rule that anything sounds better if it's in a fancy stackable enclosure and has a hefty price tag :D
Did you say stackable?! I say as I’m working on designs for stackable line-level DSP and processing amps, cheap stuff from Dayton audio, but would be fun. 3D printed with allll sorts of chamfers and radii, ha!

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Put those PCBs in huge enclosures CNC milled from billet aluminum, add a few submarine windows with VU-meters, and you can easily get six-figure money for each :D

Scrappy

If that's even true, I can think of several factors several factors that might be skewing the numbers:
  • Macs are expensive. Any comparison should be against similarly priced PC models. Looking at entire brands, any difference between cheap models and high-end ones will be missed.
  • Mac users typically replace their devices as soon as a new model is available. People who buy cheap laptops use them until they break.
  • Getting an Apple device repaired is expensive. Many users will rather live with the flaw until they get a replacement. Just look at all the iPhones with cracked displays.
My 2011 MacBook Pro did a solid 10 years, till the battery failed, and I failed keeping it dry. $160 a year for a premium laptop is not bad. Sure didn’t game (except Roller Coaster Tycoon!), and Protools (which I bought it for) got dicey. But I ran an old version of Sketchup for 3D printing til it died.

Scrappy

Bring on the Faygo.
I have somewhere a pic of the amp “tent” I made for ICP’s appearance at my house gig at the time. Rack full of QSC 3602’s I think. 3’ of plastic-covered corrugated cardboard on both business ends. They survived. Pulling lighting AC as the diet root beer advances.. yea well. Pretty sure we got tipped out nicely by mgmt

Rusty Shackleford

My 2011 MacBook Pro did a solid 10 years, till the battery failed, and I failed keeping it dry. $160 a year for a premium laptop is not bad. Sure didn’t game (except Roller Coaster Tycoon!), and Protools (which I bought it for) got dicey. But I ran an old version of Sketchup for 3D printing til it died.

My family has two 2011 MBPs, both still running strong. In fact, my 2011 MBP runs Windows 10 in dual-boot better than two-year-old (better spec’d) Dell I’m issued for work does!

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Would it be dufus of me to nominate the 'speaker-stands' as "The Undiscovered Extreme Snake Oil"?
  • $995 speakers w/$290 stands (LRS),
  • $5k speaker w/$2k stands (LS3),
  • $7k speaker w/$2k stands (S12 avocado)
  • ... [fill in the blank]
It should be the next wave-of-the-future for marketeers. [no disrespect]

Audiofire

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In fact, my 2011 MBP runs Windows 10 in dual-boot better than two-year-old (better spec’d) Dell I’m issued for work does!
How does that make any sense when it might as well be more app data running on the Dell computer for all I know?

delta76

Major Contributor
66FD29ED-583F-472A-A119-CBE1D54567A6.png

Yeah, sure, listen to advice from a cable salesman

Punter

There have probably been others but this one is QUANTUM!!!!!!!!!

irontortoise

There have probably been others but this one is QUANTUM!!!!!!!!!
Guys! They’ve solved it! Electrical engineering has been SOLVED. From their FAQ: “Yes, fuses are directional. Electricity should flow from the left to the right when you view the fuse.”

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
...Electricity should flow from the left to the right when you view the fuse.
Our current 'diversity' ethos requires that an option should allow for right-to-left flow; based on user affiliations.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But it should be noted that I (the dufus) finally figured out what makes a "one way" audio cable one way...:facepalm:

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Guys! They’ve solved it! Electrical engineering has been SOLVED. From their FAQ: “Yes, fuses are directional. Electricity should flow from the left to the right when you view the fuse.”
''The best description of how Purple UEF fuses change the system came from my wife, just before Christmas 2021; “it’s not like an expensive new scarf, but more like tying that expensive new scarf perfectly''

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom