• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extreme Snake Oil

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
W-DWR_2536710_100269436_natural_oak_f.png

I don't know if this qualifies as "extreme" snake oil, but $89 for a wood block seems close. Sono Ambra Phone Speaker
it's a... hole.
At least it's a whole hole, though. It's got that going for it.

egellings

Major Contributor
At least it looks like it sorta does something, acting like a mini megaphone. $89, though?

DonR

Major Contributor
Makes no claims that it doesn't likely fulfill. It is rather expensive for what it is as plastic or pine would probably sound the same and solid oak isn't cheap anymore. Absolutely not snake oil.

sq225917

Major Contributor
Love that synergistic video, cheap ass potted talema transformers with stickers on them in their multi-thousand dollar does nothing mains box.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
which would also happen if you build a bridge that goes nowhere.
Sure, but in this case they have mesmerized customers all too happy to pay. Must be nice...

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Bow_Wazoo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Now i have it.
That's why the music in our Transformer room sounds especially good!

OP
S

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
The one positive thing I can say is that he's employing a bunch of people and paying them to do manual labor at what is probably a living wage.
Wow, you found a silver lining in all that snake oil!

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The one positive thing I can say is that he's employing a bunch of people and paying them to do manual labor at what is probably a living wage.

I watched the video.

At around 13:30 he says this is the listening room where all the double-blind testing occurs.

Of course any ASR member would immediately ask him exactly how they double-blind test, but that "interviewer" wasn't there to challenge anything the proprietor claims. (And of course, he found a way to show off his cars...)

Audiofire

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Technics has used the slogan "the science of sound" when they were making good audiophile products with measurements.

QED botches that by using the slogan "the sound of science", which should be changed to "the sound of snake oil" based on the following marketing.

"QED has an extensive range of high-quality products from entry level to high-end cables.

"Our reputation for innovation and technical excellence is known throughout the world.

"QED cables are engineered to the highest standards ..."

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Technics has used the slogan "the science of sound" when they were making good audiophile products with measurements.

QED botches that by using the slogan "the sound of science", which should be changed to "the sound of snake oil" based on the following marketing.

"QED has an extensive range of high-quality products from entry level to high-end cables.

"Our reputation for innovation and technical excellence is known throughout the world.

"QED cables are engineered to the highest standards ..."
I remember when QED made their basic 79 strand speaker cable (which fixed a lot of UK systems that were inadequately wired, without having to work out cable guage, material, etc) and simple, well constructed interconnects.
Come to that, I remember when the Chord Company made a few decently assembled standard cables and some "specials" for the Naim components of the time (they were a Naim spinoff of sorts).

Unlike some of the companies that sold dodgy stuff from the beginning, these companies gained the trust of their customers, and have proceeded to abuse that trust (quite possibly under different management or suchlike) with this innovation and technical excellence stuff. I'm sure the cables are well made but does it justify what looks like pseudoscience?

Like any other claimant, they can still win me over with proper evidence that their stuff works better. I guess I'll be waiting a long time, though.

OP
S

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I watched the video.

At around 13:30 he says this is the listening room where all the double-blind testing occurs.

Of course any ASR member would immediately ask him exactly how they double-blind test, but that "interviewer" wasn't there to challenge anything the proprietor claims. (And of course, he found a way to show off his cars...)
Matt, that is what I was saying too. There was no, none, zero equipment or setup for any blind comparisons. Most of these companies "claim" blind tests and in fact they do no blind tests at all. It is all sighted A/B. Most couldn't even tell you how to set up a simple home style blind test. Liars gotta lie.

Top Bottom