• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extreme Snake Oil

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
Spent a short time in the Okanagan had a couple of friends living there. What I couldn’t understand was how nearly all of the fruit and vegetables for sale were from California.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Spent a short time in the Okanagan had a couple of friends living there. What I couldn’t understand was how nearly all of the fruit and vegetables for sale were from California.
It was not that way some decades ago. The value of vineyards is so high that much of the land was converted to vineyards and the apple, pear, apricot, peach and veggies operations where transitioned into vineyards. We get most of our veggies and fruit from Mexico and California now. No issues with quality as the producers in California and Mexico are supplying some pretty fine product but it is unfortunate that one cannot drive to the Okanagan in the summer and load up the pickup truck with fruit and veggies product, return home and preserve it for the winter food needs. We used to do that every year.

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds like a nice selection drinking some Sauvignon Blanc from a South African winery Zalze. Not the first variety I’ve had from that winery always good.
I am calling Sauvignon Blanc a 'Snake Oil', until someone shows me the measurable improvements that it can provide to musical enjoyment...
I am thinking alcohol and music don't mix well but not as bad as DWI.:(
[How is that for a segue-way?]

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
I am calling Sauvignon Blanc a 'Snake Oil', until someone shows me the measurable improvements that it can provide to musical enjoyment...
I am thinking alcohol and music don't mix well but not as bad as DWI.:(
[How is that for a segue-way?]
Sorry can’t agree each bottle has 75cL of wine in it! By the end of the second bottle music has never sounded better. In the case of Sauvignon Blanc all criticism is blanked out.

cochlea

Forum Donor
RFLMAO... I bought some chicken hearts and was teasing a buddies kid about them that I was sitting for one day and I cooked up maybe 20 chicken hearts and served them to him and he was grossed out. @ age ~6. I told him they will make him powerful and better at FPS computer games. :D He chewed one and never swallowed it... lol. I ate them... Nothing against a chewy chicken heart fried up. :D Nothing goes to waste in my kitchen.
To get back on topic, did you fry the chicken hearts in snake oil? :)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Strongly reminiscent of Geoff Kait, a completely unhinged zany who blighted many of the audio forums until he was banned from most. I believe you can still catch his antics on a couple of the lunatic fringe sites, if you suffer from masochistic tendencies and fingernails scraped over a chalkboard just isn't enough for you anymore. Same imperious air of superiority.

Geoff ran a horrendously shabby website named Machina Dynamica for a couple years, where he did his very best to fleece unsuspecting rubes of however much he could by selling magic temple bells, etc. His most ridiculous tweak was called the "Teleportation Tweak," whereby he would "tune" your system for best performance over the phone. I think that operation eventually imploded on itself, or at least I hope it did.

EDIT:
OMG! He's still out there, and hawking his stupendously absurd junk on other websites of equally questionable integrity --> "Intelligent Box"
Geoff's alive and well and posting at audioasylum, FWIW.
I am still not sure his shtick isn't performance art a la Andy Kaufman. Maybe I am being optimistic. ;)

At any rate, I've got to say that some of the bon mots (or is that bons mot?) he posts @ AA are pretty funny.

In case you want some examples :)

here's one, e.g., in response to a thread on the placebo effect

and one on Mapleshades Pierre Sprey's passing

Last edited:

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Geoff's alive and well and posting at audioasylum, FWIW.
I am still not sure his shtick isn't performance art a la Andy Kaufman. Maybe I am being optimistic. ;)

Yeah, he has a very un-serious manner in his replies which seems to put him in to Poe's Law land.

But I've seen enough, and interacted with him enough, to conclude that he is quite sincere, at least about some of his beliefs. Not sure about all of them.

Audiofire

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
neither. bons mots. both plural. you're welcome.
Six-plus decades treadin' the boards, and I did not know that!

Of course, the fact that I minored in German in college might have something to do with that. ;)
I remember the first time I was in France (with my wife, who, fortunately, speaks some French). We were attending a scientific meeting in Lille. One night I made a valiant attempt to order dinner en français. The server looked at me, perhaps with pity in his eyes - or maybe disdain, and said "Excuse me?"
:)

Top Bottom