• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extreme Snake Oil

DonR

Major Contributor
I hope he enjoys his audiophile tweaks, catered meals, and underground power in his gated community!

(Has anyone ever actually bragged about having underground power lines feeding his home? This must be a first.)
Mine comes in via wooden cable risers 40ft tall and spread a couple of hundred feet apart. You can't be too careful with those veils.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hope he enjoys his audiophile tweaks, catered meals, and underground power in his gated community!

(Has anyone ever actually bragged about having underground power lines feeding his home? This must be a first.)
Mmhhh. Never thought about it. I should be more appreciative of my utility provider to provide me sth to brag about.

CtheArgie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What the heck? Recording in a tiny little bus area like that? Just doesn't seem right. A fancy full on SOTA recording studio would seem better. But then I have never recorded anything!
Shangri-La is a special place. It is an expanded house with multiple rooms for recording. All rooms are wired (unfortunately, nothing fancy or elevated...) to the control decks. There is also a few "external" rooms where musicians can play, practice and record. The bus is one of the sites. Rubin's place is more a "set-up" for musicians to be comfortable. They have bedrooms if they want to stay over. It is a very cool place. It is 200 yards from the Pacific Coast Highway, Zuma beach in Malibu, so it is a very "relaxing" place. The week prior to my visit was When Neil Young was there. Red Hot Chili Peppers also just finished recording their new record there. They played a little of it for me.

It was a very fascinating place! I also enjoyed the discussions about recording.

Anton S

SeagoatLeo. I live in Westchester County, NY, and even here I don't regularly encounter people as ostentatious as he!
Strongly reminiscent of Geoff Kait, a completely unhinged zany who blighted many of the audio forums until he was banned from most. I believe you can still catch his antics on a couple of the lunatic fringe sites, if you suffer from masochistic tendencies and fingernails scraped over a chalkboard just isn't enough for you anymore. Same imperious air of superiority.

Geoff ran a horrendously shabby website named Machina Dynamica for a couple years, where he did his very best to fleece unsuspecting rubes of however much he could by selling magic temple bells, etc. His most ridiculous tweak was called the "Teleportation Tweak," whereby he would "tune" your system for best performance over the phone. I think that operation eventually imploded on itself, or at least I hope it did.

EDIT:
OMG! He's still out there, and hawking his stupendously absurd junk on other websites of equally questionable integrity --> "Intelligent Box"

Last edited:

irontortoise

Strongly reminiscent of Geoff Kait, a completely unhinged zany who blighted many of the audio forums until he was banned from most. I believe you can still catch his antics on a couple of the lunatic fringe sites, if you suffer from masochistic tendencies and fingernails scraped over a chalkboard just isn't enough for you anymore. Same imperious air of superiority.

Geoff ran a horrendously shabby website named Machina Dynamica for a couple years, where he did his very best to fleece unsuspecting rubes of however much he could by selling magic temple bells, etc. His most ridiculous tweak was called the "Teleportation Tweak," whereby he would "tune" your system for best performance over the phone. I think that operation eventually imploded on itself, or at least I hope it did.

EDIT:
OMG! He's still out there, and hawking his stupendously absurd junk on other websites of equally questionable integrity --> "Intelligent Box"
That...that can't be real, right? Please, for all that is holy please tell me that site is a joke? No one really spent any money with that lunatic?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That...that can't be real, right? Please, for all that is holy please tell me that site is a joke? No one really spent any money with that lunatic?
He lives nearby, too. Lucky me :facepalm:

Astoneroad

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

EDIT:
Yea... but... it's ONLY $400. Would 10 of 'em be 10x better? Sure it's oily... but hey... what else are ya gonna get for $400? ... ok... a great little headphone rig with $100 left over for cable lifters. Thanks for the laughs... my dog is looking at me like I'm a 'phool. :facepalm:

iulianm

OP
S

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
if you suffer from masochistic tendencies and fingernails scraped over a chalkboard just isn't enough for you anymore.
That is so true. That is exactly why I have almost no patience with these snake oil salesmen. After 40 years, I'm an old burned out crusader for reality and science in audio. But even the best of us get tired of 40 years of unrelenting snake oil. It never stops, people never learn. Amir is doing the best he can and is helping some people see the light. But I imagine even he has to keep himself in check with some of this snake oil stuff. Heck we even get the occasional snake oil troll who gets himself banned by ASR and then wears it as a badge of honor on the snake oil sites. Some people are just weird!

irontortoise

Techmoan did a video 3 days ago on this one:
Forget lifting the veils, this just trims them right off!
But I have to wonder, could this be adapted to get that perfectly round pizza crust I've always been after?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Where's the proof that I am anti-social?
Your answer to my multiple-choice question makes you semi-antisocial.
Although I agree with your answer, you failed in answering a multiple-choice Q by choosing BOTH answers.
I love Caveat Emptor but talking about the knee-of-the-curve is more socially accepted in geeky places to avoid accusations.;)

Top Bottom