• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extreme Snake Oil

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I clicked the link and had my first time ever on the Goop site. I was amazed at the utter nonsense they promote. It was high end wires for audio marketing methods, but they used it for personal products. It is catering to the unscientific stupid people in our society. I'm once again appalled at how far our species has sunk. We are reverting back towards the primordial goo. Should see some half people/half monkeys running around soon. I will now try to forget ever seeing that site!
Have a look at their new diaper.

My understanding is that they add intentionally outrageous products as part of their marketing strategy. Remember the Hammacher Schlemmer catalogue with the $10k submarine on the back? I don't think anyone bought it, but it was sort of their positioning. On the internet, it drives awareness and clicks to the site.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
We are reverting back towards the primordial goo.
Don't you mean primordial Goop?

:cool:;):facepalm:

goop-hand-soaps-12-64_1000.jpg

wait -- my mistake...

Gwyneth-Paltrow-GETTY-cropped-1280.jpg

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I clicked the link and had my first time ever on the Goop site. I was amazed at the utter nonsense they promote. It was high end wires for audio marketing methods, but they used it for personal products. It is catering to the unscientific stupid people in our society. I'm once again appalled at how far our species has sunk. We are reverting back towards the primordial goo. Should see some half people/half monkeys running around soon. I will now try to forget ever seeing that site!

It's effectively the same as 'Grot' from 'The Fall And Rise Of Reginald Perrin'. I remember thinking at the time that someone would do it for real one day:

''Reggie then opens a shop called Grot, where he sells useless products – like square hoops, round dice and Tom's wine (made from sprouts, nettles and the like) – hoping it will be an interesting failure. However, the products are snapped up as novelties and Grot becomes a huge success. Reggie relapses into alienation and tries to destroy Grot from within by hiring incompetents, but this backfires as they all display unsuspected talents.''

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd forgotten about reggie perrin - "come" :p

OP
S

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I believe the guy has gone full senile. With what little was described it seemed to me that you are right back to a record player needle/cartridge running in a lacquer groove. The aluminum disc would not have much to do with it. Even as a solid base for the lacquer aluminum changes dimensions a lot due to temperature. So, an unstable aluminum base coated with lacquer which is basically a fancy record. The lacquer will have all of the normal record faults. It may (I don't know) be the lacquer is stronger and resist wear and deformation better than a plastic record. Also, the description is that it is so much better than a CD people have almost been cured of illnesses just listening to it. No scamming here! So many claims.......

Last edited:

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe the guy has gone full senile. With what little was described it seemed to me that you are right back to a record player needle/cartridge running in a lacquer groove. The aluminum disc would not have much to do with it. Even as a solid base for the lacquer aluminum changes dimensions a lot due to temperature. So, an unstable aluminum base coated with lacquer which is basically a fancy record. The lacquer will have all of the normal record faults. It may (I don't know) be the lacquer is stronger and resist wear and deformation better than a plastic record. Also, the description is that it is so much better than a CD people have almost been cured of illnesses just listening to it. No scamming here! So many claims.......

Metal disc with lacquer has been used in the era before tape to record live for news etc , was probably terrible :D

JWAmerica

Just today I read that rhodium contacts sound different than gold contacts. Presumably the wire is made of pure silver for some other sonic benefit.

Audiofire

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
4 metres of speaker cable for $43574 '' is causing a sensation in the hi-fi industry worldwide''

I like when those ignoramuses add irony to their ambiguous messages, the sensation should be worldwide outrage.

I also asked customer support why they haven't been revealed and got no answer, this experiment was a good way to prove that nobody should buy anything from this company.
By the same token, QED can only be ignoramuses or hypocrites. I actually tried the QED Profile Audio RCA cable I had gathering dust for a long time and no longer think that it is an all right cable. The connectors are so tight that they cause excessive wear on the RCA jacks of equipment!

The only reason why I noticed this brand even exists is because the Danish retailer Tape Connection sells QED cables. I even contacted the retailer and exposed the snake oil, but to no avail...

Last edited:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
4 metres of speaker cable for $43574 '' is causing a sensation in the hi-fi industry worldwide''

Nice one.

So if I whip up a cable over the weekend and add another 10k to the price will I also cause a sensation in the industry?

If someone could help with the BS bingo I am willing to share the proceeds.

i_build_stuff

This stuff is an insult to actual snake oil, which usually worked, but was plagued by counterfeiting.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Just today I read that rhodium contacts sound different than gold contacts. Presumably the wire is made of pure silver for some other sonic benefit.
While rhodium is a very good, but very, very expensive contact material, it's won't sound different from and other contact material. Contacts will only sound different if one of them makes a bad connection.
The reason for rhodium, gold and silver contacts is for long term reliability in harsh environments.

MCH

Major Contributor

Shipping is for free, but if you go and pick them up you get 3% off... Hold on a second, they are effectively charging you 1300 CHF for the shipping!

That's even worse than the price of the cable itself! ...well maybe not....

Top Bottom