• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extreme Snake Oil

kongwee

Major Contributor
Stereophile used to give a ratio you should spend on cable. With 10K speaker, amps. why not 1k cables. Especially with WBT connector, you could easily break 1K.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
After, too... Maybe even easier.
Maybe. The only supported objectivism I was exposed to in the Ante-Web days was Stereo Review. My initial red-pilling was the 1987 issue blind-testing amplifiers (Futterman, Pioneer, Hafler, Audio Research…they couldn’t tell the difference). But when you can just google it and see how many other such studies exist, I should think it would get tougher to stay loyal to the subjectivist camp.

I only returned to the hobby in 2018 - because I had been happy with my equipment for over 20 years. I started googling and…realized the Stereo Review article was the tip of a huge iceberg.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Stereophile used to give a ratio you should spend on cable. With 10K speaker, amps. why not 1k cables. Especially with WBT connector, you could easily break 1K.
Which wasn't very good advice in the first place. Better question that why not is why in the first place?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Maybe. The only supported objectivism I was exposed to in the Ante-Web days was Stereo Review. My initial red-pilling was the 1987 issue blind-testing amplifiers (Futterman, Pioneer, Hafler, Audio Research…they couldn’t tell the difference). But when you can just google it and see how many other such studies exist, I should think it would get tougher to stay loyal to the subjectivist camp.

I only returned to the hobby in 2018 - because I had been happy with my equipment for over 20 years. I started googling and…realized the Stereo Review article was the tip of a huge iceberg.
There are plenty of subjective audio sites that do not welcome disagreement or technical discourse. Ask @amirm ... ;)

kongwee

Major Contributor
Which wasn't very good advice in the first place. Better question that why not is why in the first place?
Which advice WBT? You should look at the WBT pricing in the first place. For RCA and speaker connector, it is good connector for audiophile in the first place. After dealing with lot of connectors, WBT is easily to get and handle. Of course, there is lower price connectors. WBT is the benchmark for audiophile. Could highly snake oil in ASR.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Which advice WBT? You should look at the WBT pricing in the first place. For RCA and speaker connector, it is good connector for audiophile in the first place. After dealing with lot of connectors, WBT is easily to get and handle. Of course, there is lower price connectors. WBT is the benchmark for audiophile. Could highly snake oil in ASR.
I was referring to the percentage. If those connectors are that sort of percentage of the hardware they're just silly. Never heard of WBT particularly, got a link?

DonR

Major Contributor
I was referring to the percentage. If those connectors are that sort of percentage of the hardware they're just silly. Never heard of WBT particularly, got a link?

Theory

Connectors should let the signal through and not interfere with or affect it. Twenty years of research and development in this field has shown WBT how to design and manufacture products with little effect on signal transfer. Each plug and socket already has a transition point which must be overcome by the signal. Inferior connectors can act as a filter, which would then absorb all what you actually want to hear.
woo

kongwee

Major Contributor
I am too lazy to give you a link, too many companies are using WBT. Krell, Mark, Revel, Wilson audio, Kimber, Siltech.......etc. It is like Neutrik in audiophile world.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am too lazy to give you a link, too many companies are using WBT. Krell, Mark, Revel, Wilson audio, Kimber, Siltech.......etc. It is like Neutrik in audiophile world.
Uh huh.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That website is prolly infested with stuff... No html 5 or 6... no https

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Maybe. The only supported objectivism I was exposed to in the Ante-Web days was Stereo Review.
What has happened concurrent with evolution of Internet is so many companies getting in the game of producing useless audio products. Back in the day there were only a handful of "high-end" audio cables. Now? There are hundreds of not thousands. Each one is using the power of Internet for marketing which is cheap and available to them. In the last decade, they have also benefitted from informercial youtube videos to promote the same.

It was rare to run into subjectivists audiophiles in 1980s. Today, they are everywhere. And it has gone way beyond people with money. Even people with limited budget are spending a ton of money on non-effective tweaks, high-end gear that doesn't perform, etc.

It is so bad that their views is considered the standard, and ours the outlier! They even call us the flat-earthers!!! We let them run so wild that their message is has overpowered logic, science and engineering. Thankfully, collectively we are putting up one hell of a fight. :)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah the whole thing seemed to take off in the 1980's after CD was introduced. The internet made it worse in my opinion. I remember the old usenet group rec.audio.high-end which spread it even more.

I didn't know it was still a thing, but apparently it is.

Top Bottom