• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extreme Snake Oil

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They're not even pretending not to speak bollox now, are they? It's like they're daring each other to make more and more ludicrous statements to see if people will still lap it up.
This is not a new thing though, it's complete myth of course but it's been commonly accepted for decades. Wood is warm, possibly dull, but it depends on the type of wood plus unknown unknowns.

Glass is bright or sterile and metal will ring. The last effect was taken to extremes with the Mana Acoustics stands which were metal (stainless steel) and glass, the metal stands being tightened expertly on site to give the 'Mana Effect' which some suggested was due to them tuning the frequency of the ringing to compliment the sound of the equipment sat on it.

Not just turntables, which would be fair enough, we are also talking amps, DACs, CD players, tape decks, phono stages. Even power strips and power conditioners are claimed to work more effectively when sat on it.

This was all back in the late 1980s when the foo industry was still in its infancy. Mana went bust eventually but their stands live on and still fetch good money on the secondary market.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
sigh. This makes me sad, if only because this company otherwise has a good concept - small devices that facilitate networking for hi-fi.

1665769473920.png

delta76

Major Contributor
I don't have the patience to watch through this, but well, cables matter is not enough. Shelves matter too

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't have the patience to watch through this, but well, cables matter is not enough. Shelves matter too
It's a nostalgic look at racks and (audible (?)) vibrations, thru the decades.
I am not sure if his assertion is true about being able to hear the tapping on headphone cables?

But the answer to his question:
202210_Racks.jpg

I would have to answer "Yes, they may help, in her case!":facepalm:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Too bad that there is more than one thread about 'snake oil' topic and some say it is preferred and intentional.:confused:
My offering is questionable as to whether it is "extreme" or even should be considered as "snake oil".
202210_LHYeSW.jpg

If someone was to gift me one of these $500 Ethernet Switches that is way over-engineered and probably will not make any difference; I would still put it in my system as long as it worked. [Ignoring the fact that I prefer a managed eSW w/PoE]
The company that makes this 8-port eSW is LHY Audio, which has been trying to venture into the SOTA audio hardware.
Noise has always been my enemy and willing to do anything to reduce/minimize it off my system, especially if free of charge.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Too bad that there is more than one thread about 'snake oil' topic and some say it is preferred and intentional.:confused:
My offering is questionable as to whether it is "extreme" or even should be considered as "snake oil".
View attachment 238182
If someone was to gift me one of these $500 Ethernet Switches that is way over-engineered and probably will not make any difference; I would still put it in my system as long as it worked. [Ignoring the fact that I prefer a managed eSW w/PoE]
The company that makes this 8-port eSW is LHY Audio, which has been trying to venture into the SOTA audio hardware.
Noise has always been my enemy and willing to do anything to reduce/minimize it off my system, especially if free of charge.
I appears they have some serious capacitance for smoothing on those voltage regulators(Are they regs?) on the top PCB. I'm guessing 1 reg for wireless (Is that a wireless module on the top PCB?) and 2 regs for +/- rails for the lower PCB. All overkill...lol.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I appears they have some serious capacitance for smoothing on those voltage regulators(Are they regs?) on the top PCB. I'm guessing 1 reg for wireless (Is that a wireless module on the top PCB?) and 2 regs for +/- rails for the lower PCB. All overkill...lol.
see link, more than just filtering and regulation it appears, there is also an OCXO... chassis partioning... and that bloo toroid is a.... well... a Talema toroid
202210_OCXO.jpg
FWIW

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, grow up and admit it: :facepalm:
Tell me you would not at least put it in your system (if you use eSW) just bcuz its free? Can it hurt? (though 10w idle)
I don't need a switch. The ISP replaces the modems about every ~3-5 years with new RF standards. It's all included in the service. :D I hard wire the fast desktop and use wireless for the other pooders. :D

Galliardist

Major Contributor
What we REALLY need is an audiophile Ethernet switch customised for vinyl playback :p

Galliardist

Major Contributor
I don't need a switch. The ISP replaces the modems about every ~3-5 years with new RF standards. It's all included in the service. :D I hard wire the fast desktop and use wireless for the other pooders. :D
But it won't be audiophile will it?
You need this definitely-not-snake-oil-at-all audiophile router (well, perhaps not, er...) or it won't be proper music
:facepalm:

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Tube powered.
Dual mono, cryogenically treated, customised quantum tunnelling, and go-faster stripes on the sides.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Tell me you would not at least put it in your system (if you use eSW) just bcuz its free? Can it hurt? (though 10w idle)

Nope. I'd sell it, buy a normal switch and spend the remaining money on something useful.

If you really have audible noise problems in your playback system, then this switch won't do anything to help you. Literally nothing.

Do a hunt for ground loops, and/or take a look at the residual noise in the analog amplification stages and how those get affected by the gain stucture.

Don't just mindlessly try to battle noise at places that can't possibly be the source of any.

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't just mindlessly try to battle noise at places that can't possibly be the source of any.
Thank you!
I venture to guess that my mindlessness does not overcome my respect for sneak paths of (radiated or conducted) noise, regardless if 20Hz or 200MHz.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
You got galvanic isolation, shielding and good PCB layout practices to deal with that. No need to throw money at an ethernet switch designed with a checklist of audiophile myths, mixing those from the analog and the digital world in a facepalm worthy mess.

I'm no stanger to audio anxiety myself, but some battles are just like punching the air. You descibe noise as your "enemy", but how have you been assaulted by it?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You descibe noise as your "enemy", but how have you been assaulted by it?
Maybe I should have labeled noise as my most financially wise investment... after my investment in a BSEE.
I got paid good money as a professional who "chased black cats in pitch black chambers", fixing 'noise' problems others caused and/or ignored!
Would you like me more if I changed my wording to "I respect noise!"?

Top Bottom