• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extreme Snake Oil

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
read the linked review, it's unintentionally hilarious. I'd post a few gems but it won't let me copy and paste. The 'designer' appears to be making 'scientific breakthroughs' every couple of months, resulting in more and more expensive fuses, each better than the last. It's risible.
Quantum Science Audio, the undisputed heavyweights in the audiophile fuse space

Uhhh...ok!

mansr

Major Contributor
How about a £4200 fuse?

''Much of this may sound outrageous, but only to those who have not had the chance to hear it for themselves.''
I plugged a paragraph of that into GPT-3. It continued thus:
"To put it simply, if your power cables or components are not of the highest quality, they will struggle to transmit the power they are designed to and this can have a negative impact on your system's performance. QSA fuses are designed to improve the quality of your power cables and components by essentially reducing the amount of bottlenecking that can occur, meaning your system will be able to transfer power more effectively and with less interference.

QSA fuses are available in a range of prices and are available in both male and female connections. Whether you are looking to upgrade your power cords or just want to ensure your audio is of the highest quality, QSA fuses are the perfect solution."

With slightly tweaked settings:
"Quantum Science Audio fuse sizes are colour coded for convenient reference, and are based on the diameter of the outer body, with the power cord fuses measuring 29.5mm along the upper body and 25mm at the base, and the component fuses measuring 22mm along the upper body and 18mm at the base. The small size makes them extremely useful if your amplifier is equipped with an IEC standard 3-prong plug on its rear panel. Very often amplifiers require the use of larger diameter fuses than those provided by manufacturers, which usually are not easy to change. The fuse is placed onto the internal terminals inside the plug and this snaps into position while holding onto the fuse firmly."

Last edited:

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I plugged a paragraph of that into GPT-3: It continued thus:

"To put it simply, if your power cables or components are not of the highest quality, they will struggle to transmit the power they are designed to and this can have a negative impact on your system's performance. QSA fuses are designed to improve the quality of your power cables and components by essentially reducing the amount of bottlenecking that can occur, meaning your system will be able to transfer power more effectively and with less interference.

QSA fuses are available in a range of prices and are available in both male and female connections. Whether you are looking to upgrade your power cords or just want to ensure your audio is of the highest quality, QSA fuses are the perfect solution."
It just writes itself. Literally. :)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
read the linked review, it's unintentionally hilarious. I'd post a few gems but it won't let me copy and paste. The 'designer' appears to be making 'scientific breakthroughs' every couple of months, resulting in more and more expensive fuses, each better than the last. It's risible.
I mean -- that's why we have screenshots. ;)

1664669493373.png

... and it continues... :)

source: https://dwh435ac0wj26.cloudfront.net/media/amasty/amfile/attach/cbbbb9d11b9e5286122fd3283b771160.pdf

Digital Mastering System

I don't recall him as snake oil. He was pretty honest about what he was selling.
Well, if you analyze a C-2 preamplifier you will see the tone control section is extremely poorly designed, almost criminally so. I had to bypass it entirely when I did a recap and opamp roll - I installed a Doug Self tone control - and it was perfect. I doubt Carver had any hand in this design, but he should have caught this error ...

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
"With that $399 they could have bought themselves some nice gold-plated optical cables." :D:D:D
Price reduced to $299.
New version of this fiber-optic cable improves cable's performance by (A)providing full-braided shielding/grounding, (B)confining the fiber inside a Faraday-cage preventing photon-scattering noise, (C)while reducing all phase and time inter-photon distortions (IPD).
EDIT: Adding a :)

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Price reduced to $299.
New version of this fiber-optic cable improves cable's performance by (A)providing full-braided shielding/grounding, (B)confining the fiber inside a Faraday-cage preventing photon-scattering noise, (C)while reducing all phase and time inter-photon distortions (IPD).
I find it amazing we can see anything at all without any faraday cage between the light travelling to our eyes and all that photon scattering noise.

:facepalm:

BALKAN_RAKIA

BALKAN_RAKIA

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This piece of audio advice from the fine folks at What HiFi seems particularly slippery…

“The surface your stereo amp sits on can make the world of difference to its performance. Generally speaking, glass shelving tends to encourage a more forward sound, while wooden supports typically result in a warmer and more rounded balance.”

antcollinet

Master Contributor
This piece of audio advice from the fine folks at What HiFi seems particularly slippery…

“The surface your stereo amp sits on can make the world of difference to its performance. Generally speaking, glass shelving tends to encourage a more forward sound, while wooden supports typically result in a warmer and more rounded balance.”

They're not even pretending not to speak bollox now, are they? It's like they're daring each other to make more and more ludicrous statements to see if people will still lap it up.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They're not even pretending not to speak bollox now, are they? It's like they're daring each other to make more and more ludicrous statements to see if people will still lap it up.
And they do.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor

What about the mono amps in my active speakers, do they count? Asking for a friend. :p

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What about the mono amps in my active speakers, do they count? Asking for a friend. :p
+6.1dB for stereo pair of monoblocks... 5:1 gets you +36.6dB. Trust me, I measured 'em w/my calibrated ears.:facepalm:
Pals4Evr?

egellings

Major Contributor
I look at a silly statement like that and just say, "Of course! Of course!" (I fire for effect by saying it twice!)

Top Bottom