• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extreme Snake Oil

delta76

Major Contributor
Stomped upon this post on FB

1660201809447.png

whenever I see Nordost, I roll my eyes. But something caught my attention. Those vibb eaters. Some weights to convert vibration into heat. I would suppose those are just snake oil, but hey let's keep an open mind shall we? At least they are cute ...

caught gesture

Forum Donor
Stomped upon this post on FB

View attachment 223565

whenever I see Nordost, I roll my eyes. But something caught my attention. Those vibb eaters. Some weights to convert vibration into heat. I would suppose those are just snake oil, but hey let's keep an open mind shall we? At least they are cute ...
From the site that invented the Vibb Eaters…

“That which can be measured is not important, and that which is important cannot be measured"

and,
I´ll never again will spend time on study measurements when my ears and brain tell me everything I need and want to know.

Have a read of their site. It’s a hilarious mix of voodoo and pseudoscience.

Last edited:

Punter

Vibb Eaters look like doorstops made to look like rats, they're just lacking a tail!

Killingbeans

Major Contributor

delta76

Major Contributor
Vibb Eaters look like doorstops made to look like rats, they're just lacking a tail!
I think it is made to look like a rat, intentionally.
Vibb-Eaters-4.jpg

Well, I originally thought they are made from cast iron (from fb photos). apparently some sand bag as mentioned.
Outside of this specifically over priced rat, there is no evident whatsoever for those "vibration absorber" right?

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Probably not remotely as effective as having the sand directly adjacent to the resonating surfaces: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s/fill-sections-with-sand-diy-speakers.34721/

And even then there's the question whether the speaker cabinet has bothersome resonances to begin with. If it does, it's arguably a crummy speaker, and you'd be better off buying some better speakers, rather than trying to fix the turd with sand bags :)

delta76

Major Contributor
yeah Focal Aria 948 in the photos is sturdy and heavy like hell, so I guess the poster just blindly followed advice from audiophiles.
Sigh.

caught gesture

Forum Donor
€400 for a cute bag of sand... no thanks.

EDIT: 1/10 the price: https://dora.co.uk/Category/275/the-country-folk-collection
To be precise, they contain a copper granular mixture that through mechanical friction converts vibration into very low level heat (according to them). It’s laughable the use of scientific terminology that they liberally use in their descriptive prose which is then in contrast with statements about the invalidity of measurements. Their ground boxes are even more entertaining in their descriptive prose! I wonder if the people who create these products actually believe in their ‘healing’ properties or are just grifters looking for a mark.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just out of curiosity, do they also not believe in measurements when it comes to medicine, or flying? Or is it only hearing where measurements don’t apply? ”Hello. This is your pilot speaking. Just an FYI, I decided to turn off all the sensors/communication devices on the plane and just do this trip by feel. I’ve done it a hundred times with the sensors, and have a great sense of touch, so we should be good. Unless it gets cloudy, or dark, or there are other planes around us…”

DonR

Major Contributor
To be precise, they contain a copper granular mixture that through mechanical friction converts vibration into very low level heat (according to them). It’s laughable the use of scientific terminology that they liberally use in their descriptive prose which is then in contrast with statements about the invalidity of measurements. Their ground boxes are even more entertaining in their descriptive prose! I wonder if the people who create these products actually believe in their ‘healing’ properties or are just grifters looking for a mark.
"Never get high on your own supply." - I am hoping they are grifters looking for a mark.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Outside of this specifically over priced rat, there is no evident whatsoever for those "vibration absorber" right?
I am now sitting here pondering the economics of rat pricing. Is there, like, a rat spot market?
Rat cartels?

Having spent most of my for-profit years in biotechnology, I recognize that there are certainly high value mouse strains (not to mention carefully and methodically re-engineered individual mice, e.g., thymectomized and reconstituted with human immune system components) -- but high value rats?
Not sure...

;)

Last edited:

sq225917

Major Contributor
Those pleather rats are good at damping case rattles, as good as any bean bag

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hey @amirm is there something you want to tell us? Are donations down? Is this year’s vegetable crop suffering? If you need some extra money, you don’t have to resort to this…

“This ad is for 1 x ASR magic cord. This cord is 1.5 meter in length. ASR recommends this cable for digital devices. Best suited for DAC, servers, streamers and CD players.Retail is $1299 CAD and my all in price except $30 shipping cost is $600.00 CAD. We have tested over 450 different cable models and this power cord is great on digital devices. Is it as good as our favorite Inakustik AC4004 power cord that cost $4200 USD, no but this is an absolute bargain digital power cord at $600.00. We only have 3 of them available.

Manufacturers description:

The optimal power supply for your hi-fi devices
The perfect power supply for your hi-fi devices is another key on the way to the "right" music. Source devices in particular, such as streamers and CD players, sometimes "significantly" gain in musicality through an optimal power supply.

Our connection cable " ASR active Magic-Cord" (150cm long) is a very complex network connection with 6x1.5 qmm. As a result, the energy from the mains is transmitted very well and a double screen protects against interference.

Active components are used to decouple DC components from the mains voltage. This reduces potential equalization currents and transformer hum often disappears completely.

An additional, particularly low-impedance and therefore low-loss mains filter suppresses high-frequency interference.

What is the acoustic effect of the ASR active magic cord?

The simplest description is: It sounds more “analog”! The sound image gains in spatial resolution and depth, harshness disappears, the finest details are better worked out, the inner dynamics of the music expand, you can listen to music for a very long time, even at higher levels, completely relaxed.

The residual currents via the mains ground are reduced, which means that the effect of correct plug polarity is reduced.

The ASR active magic cord is designed for loads up to 2500 watts.

Dimensions aluminum housing 180 x 110 x 50 mm.”

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey @amirm is there something you want to tell us? Are donations down? Is this year’s vegetable crop suffering? If you need some extra money, you don’t have to resort to this…

“This ad is for 1 x ASR magic cord. This cord is 1.5 meter in length. ASR recommends this cable for digital devices. Best suited for DAC, servers, streamers and CD players.Retail is $1299 CAD and my all in price except $30 shipping cost is $600.00 CAD. We have tested over 450 different cable models and this power cord is great on digital devices. Is it as good as our favorite Inakustik AC4004 power cord that cost $4200 USD, no but this is an absolute bargain digital power cord at $600.00. We only have 3 of them available.

Manufacturers description:

The optimal power supply for your hi-fi devices
The perfect power supply for your hi-fi devices is another key on the way to the "right" music. Source devices in particular, such as streamers and CD players, sometimes "significantly" gain in musicality through an optimal power supply.

Our connection cable " ASR active Magic-Cord" (150cm long) is a very complex network connection with 6x1.5 qmm. As a result, the energy from the mains is transmitted very well and a double screen protects against interference.

Active components are used to decouple DC components from the mains voltage. This reduces potential equalization currents and transformer hum often disappears completely.

An additional, particularly low-impedance and therefore low-loss mains filter suppresses high-frequency interference.

What is the acoustic effect of the ASR active magic cord?

The simplest description is: It sounds more “analog”! The sound image gains in spatial resolution and depth, harshness disappears, the finest details are better worked out, the inner dynamics of the music expand, you can listen to music for a very long time, even at higher levels, completely relaxed.

The residual currents via the mains ground are reduced, which means that the effect of correct plug polarity is reduced.

The ASR active magic cord is designed for loads up to 2500 watts.

Dimensions aluminum housing 180 x 110 x 50 mm.”
A smiley of some sort after your first paragraph might help to negate Poe's law. :p

Top Bottom