• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extreme Snake Oil

roog

Forum Donor
“Audiophilia was supposed to be a hobby for me like astrophotography, competition target pistol, HAM radio and an assortment of other categories not limited to electronics, carpentry and 3D printing. I find comradery in everything but audio.”

This is so true, I am a member of a number of other, hobby forums, including: guitarists, astronomy, electronics and model engineering and the level of discord between members Is so much lower in all of these Compared to audio forums, in other realms people have selflessly shown me with real materials ”how to carryout a machining process” in pictures and commentary, they have discussed in a balanced way as to why I don’t need an expensive Mitutoyo caliper when an Aldi one for a tenth of the price will work equally accurately in a home workshop, or how to play a particular musical piece without torture or self doubt getting in the way, I wonder if such sanity results from these people having to work for a result , learning about the process, and input some of their creativity, that is, not just opening their wallets, opening the flashy box and plugging in the next “ big thing” in audio.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
The worst thing is that the rabbit hole goes so deep, that when you try to give people some real effective, tangible advice, it more often than not simply gets them pissed :rolleyes:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The worst thing is that the rabbit hole goes so deep, that when you try to give people some real effective, tangible advice, it more often than not simply gets them pissed :rolleyes:
It is worse than that, it can become "personal", you lose friendship over that. Happened to me. The other thing, and to me, very strange, is when confronted with evidences, e.g that they, couldn't hear the differences when biases are removed or reduced, people with good level of education, some of them well versed in the notions of placebos and in psychology, IOW those who should know better, revert to "you never know" attitudes to explain those nonsenses, all in "good" faith... I remove from this list, the army of cynics from the HEA magazines and manufacturers who are profiting from the FUD.

For me, becoming an objectivist audiophile was a life lesson, an education, that has served/is serving me beyond the hobby.

Peace.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
“Audiophilia was supposed to be a hobby for me like astrophotography, competition target pistol, HAM radio and an assortment of other categories not limited to electronics, carpentry and 3D printing. I find comradery in everything but audio.”

This is so true, I am a member of a number of other, hobby forums, including: guitarists, astronomy, electronics and model engineering and the level of discord between members Is so much lower in all of these Compared to audio forums, in other realms people have selflessly shown me with real materials ”how to carryout a machining process” in pictures and commentary, they have discussed in a balanced way as to why I don’t need an expensive Mitutoyo caliper when an Aldi one for a tenth of the price will work equally accurately in a home workshop, or how to play a particular musical piece without torture or self doubt getting in the way, I wonder if such sanity results from these people having to work for a result , learning about the process, and input some of their creativity, that is, not just opening their wallets, opening the flashy box and plugging in the next “ big thing” in audio.
Not for me. I have made (henceforth) lifelong friends through this hobby...

Peace.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sorry guys, but it's worth burning down the house for the night-and-day difference solid bar fuses make. There's no way all that lush sound can make it through the tiny wire in a normal fuse.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
And what about this....

Well, they went to the trouble of demagnetising all those aluminium, copper, silver and rhodium bits. That can’t be cheap…

1685794782943.png

:D

Keith_W

Major Contributor
It is worse than that, it can become "personal", you lose friendship over that. Happened to me.

I have friends who are objectivists in varying degrees but most are complete subjectivists. I get along with them, mostly because I don't try to push my views onto them.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
I have friends who are objectivists in varying degrees but most are complete subjectivists. I get along with them, mostly because I don't try to push my views onto them.

“I was happy for you to babysit my kids, until I saw your anaconda-like speaker cables…”
:D

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I lost a few friends in my enthusiasm to share: We have been spending a bundle, without much, if any improvement, Lot of sideway moves... in fact, mutual dissatisfaction, with our systems, waiting for the funds to be available to spend much more to attain some ideal. But the rabbit hole was deeper than I though and came to reveal more ...
It is what is is, I have lost a few an made more... I am listening to more music, then I have ever through a substantially better, more revealing (yes) more accurate and vastly cheaper, 10 times less, YES, than my previous system. I have heard in the meantime some stupendously expensive systems... I keep on smiling...knowing that by most metrics, mine is better... and so much cheaper :D

Peace.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Still no explanation of how the musical goodness is unaffected by the very obvious bottleneck of going from the audiophool 8GA mains cable, through a single filament of wire and then on to the power supply. I mean it's obvious isn't it? The restriction???? Surely what's needed is a "Fuse Array" an array of fuses that matches the cross sectional area of the mains cable going in. So for a common 3A fuse with a 0.112mm dia wire, that's a Fuse Array of a mere 30 fuses!

View attachment 289453

Now imagine that these are all Audiophile fuses!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Veils would be banished from existence!
Sound stages would be as wide as the entire universe!
Your ex-wife would call from overseas to ask what you did to your system to make it sound so awesome!

I can't see any problems or downside to this, only advantages. Must call my buddies at Synergistic Research... BRB...
I do hope you've patented this, since I think it will be a hifi gamechanger.

Count Dacula

I used to say to the kiddies in my family that a owning a car is an exercize in rationality. Not too big, not too small, not the cheapest, not the most expensive, not too fast not too slow.....rational. I guess it makes sense to expand this to audio too. You don't want the cheapest, most expensive etc. Just like Plato tells us, the highest good lies in the mean.

egellings

Major Contributor
I used to say to the kiddies in my family that a owning a car is an exercize in rationality. Not too big, not too small, not the cheapest, not the most expensive, not too fast not too slow.....rational. I guess it makes sense to expand this to audio too. You don't want the cheapest, most expensive etc. Just like Plato tells us, the highest good lies in the mean.
Size the peg to fit the hole, in other words.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn't watch or listen to the video. Just quick scanned through it. All I can say is WOW! all the way around. WOW!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Narcissism much there? He's only showing this stuff so he can basically brag about his income.
His type make snake oil salesman smile.

Top Bottom