• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

External DACs in 2022?

v01ght

Hi everyone

This is my first post on this, and on any audio-based forum actually, and I've a question that might reflect just that.

First a tiny bit of background so that you might understand, why I'm about to ask, what I'm sure is a very naive question.

Last year I picked up a second-hand HD800 out of curiosity (and songs about expansive sound stages, a timbre so real that I would question reality itself). The headphone was priced attractivly - I basically could not afford not to buy them. Worst case scenario I would sell them for the same amount I picked them up, I thought.

Well, it just so happend that I rather like them - all hyperbole aside. My review: a pretty damn good headphone. And that would have been that, had the seller not asked about which source I was going to drive them from. I knew nothing about external amps or DACs at the time, but judging by the sellers reaction, when I told him that I was just going to plug them into my PC, I instantly knew I had some reading ahead of me. I've now stalked these forums for a year, and even added a Topping A30 Pro to my kit. Worth it for the volume pot alone, I think.

And now my question finally. I've been thinking of adding a D30 Pro to my kit, but having read many posts about the negligible difference between modern transparent DACs (and even on-board chips) I can't help but wonder if I'm about to throw money at something that will add nothing to the SQ of my HD800. Cranking up the volume I hear no discernible noise on my measly SupremeFX S1220A on-board chip. What can I expect?

Perhaps the cruel gods gifted me with pyrit rather than golden ears.

If a similar question has been asked I wasent able to find it using the search function - my apologies.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Cranking up the volume I hear no discernible noise on my measly SupremeFX S1220A on-board chip.
I used my S1220A for years and heard no hiss or noises. It was dead silent other than when the music played. Then I switched over to the new ALC4080 + Savitech SV3H712 amp and again I hear no noises or hiss.
About 2 months ago I bought a JDS Labs Atom DAC+ and a Schiit Heresy headphone amp. It goes louder due to having much more power and there is no hiss or noises. I can't really say if it sounds better but it sure does sound better when louder.

WondrousHippo

Forum Donor
Well the way I would look at it is like this: you can get verifiably instrument-grade balanced DACs for less than $200 now, and you'll add some source flexibility to your setup to boot if you want to use an optical/coaxial/bluetooth device, and have the peace of mind of knowing you have an audibly transparent setup. Your current setup is probably fine, but it's not like you need to shell out a huge amount to get something confirmed transparent.

OP
V

v01ght

I used my S1220A for years and heard no hiss or noises. It was dead silent other than when the music played. Then I switched over to the new ALC4080 + Savitech SV3H712 amp and again I hear no noises or hiss.
About 2 months ago I bought a JDS Labs Atom DAC+ and a Schiit Heresy headphone amp. It goes louder due to having much more power and there is no hiss or noises. I can't really say if it sounds better but it sure does sound better when louder.

Glad I'm not the only one hearing no noise or hiss. I tend to err on the side of caution in regards to listening volumes, maybe that plays a part in it.
If you have an A30 Pro, the matching D30 Pro will compliment it nicely. You will add the ability to connect the units by XLR and also to play DSD content. It is an end game DAC IMO, you won't need to ever upgrade it. I would look at buying an Apos Certified unit with a healthy discount and warranty.

I am currently using 3 DAC's .... a D30 Pro, a Topping E50, and an SMSL DO100. All of them are DSD capable and have balanced connectors. They all measure superbly; there is no way I would be able to tell them apart in a blind test. If cost is an issue the SMSL is great, but because you have the A30 Pro, the D30 Pro makes great sense. I believe you would be very happy with it.

They do look nice stacked, I can't deny that. I'm very tempted to just give in and order one. Apos are out of the question, however, as I'm living in Denmark. I think the only real option would be audiophonics, whom I bought my A30 Pro from (which they replaced no questions asked when it died on me a month later).

Well the way I would look at it is like this: you can get verifiably instrument-grade balanced DACs for less than $200 now, and you'll add some source flexibility to your setup to boot if you want to use an optical/coaxial/bluetooth device, and have the peace of mind of knowing you have an audibly transparent setup. Your current setup is probably fine, but it's not like you need to shell out a huge amount to get something confirmed transparent.

Assured transparency would be the main selling point for me. I've that nagging feeling I'm not getting the full potential of the HD800 using the S1220A. But that could so easily be nothing more than GAS. I'm trying my best to be rational about this. 400 euros for no improvement in SQ would leave me feeling quite silly.

Top Bottom