• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

External DAC & DJ Mixer

Mateø

I currently have an External Dac into an integrated amp to a pair of passive speakers. I am planning to get a Pioneer DDJ-400 Mixer. Checking through google and other places there is no thorough explanation to using an external Dac. My questions;
- (Depending on the inputs) Is it possible to connect PC -> External DAC -> Mixer -> AMP? The question is mainly regarding that this mixer has Phono inputs, being for turntables/ analog frequencies, but one for each channel, and no Master Phono.
- If first question not possible, can I connect the DAC after the Mixer and disable the internal audio interface from the Mixer? If possible, please explain.
- Is it really worth taking the piss to switch all the interface and software for an extra sound quality or there will be almost no difference?
- I know there is also a way to stream the sound from the mixer back to the PC and then output the PC to the DAC and etc. Is this the easiest way?
Thank you.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I don't know anything about that mixer but most-likely you'd have to route the output through the computer and connect the DAC to the computer. The DAC is a USB "device" and the mixer is a "device" and they both need to be plugged-into a USB "controller" (computer) with drivers.

for an extra sound quality or there will be almost no difference?
Probably no difference or very-very little difference that nobody is going to notice in a "real DJ situation". The main thing is your speakers and PA system.

If you are paying analog records you should be able avoid the analog-to-digital conversion (although that won't degrade the sound unless you clip the analog-to-digital converter.)

staticV3

Master Contributor
- (Depending on the inputs) Is it possible to connect PC -> External DAC -> Mixer -> AMP?
No. The Mixer can not act as USB host for external DACs. But that's fine.
If I understand the product page correctly, then you can use the DDJ-400 as controller in rekordbox and similar and then send the audio out via USB from your PC.
Screenshot_20220909-170113_Chrome.png

So the layout would be:
DDJ-400 -> USB -> PC -> USB -> DAC -> RCA -> Amp -> Speakers.

That's the only way you can use the mixer and DAC together.

Is it really worth taking the piss to switch all the interface and software for an extra sound quality or there will be almost no difference?
Most likely not worth it. Plus you might struggle with latency when using a USB DAC compared to the mixer's RCA output.

Last edited:

caught gesture

Forum Donor
It has two RCA line level outputs on the rear. A quick search and I found this page which should help you.

Top Bottom