• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

External Amplification for a 7.2.4 system?

ryanstroeder

Hello,

Receiver: Denon x6700h
LR: Monitor Audio Silver 500's (90 db sens., 8 ohms, 250W RMS power handling)
C: Monitor Audio Silver C350 (90 db sens., 8 ohms, 200W RMS power handling) for my centre channel.
Surrounds: Monitor audio FX (87 db sens, 8 ohms, 85W power handling) [I am considering changing these out for more Klipsch R6560W]
Rear Surrounds: Klipsch R6560W II In-wall (93 db sens, 8 ohms, 50W RMS/200W Peak)
Atmos Speakers: Klipsch CDT-5650-C II In-Ceiling (94 dB sens, 8 ohms, 50W RMS/200 W Peak)
2 Subs: Monitor Audio Silver W-12 (500W continuous)

I am exploring options to externally power all my speakers to maximize sound performance and using the Denon 6700 as a processor only.

There is so much snake oil and bullshit marketing out there! I am so glad I found this forum!

Currently, I am evaluating reasonably priced options for external amplification and am considering using Buckeye here on this forum. Originally I was considering Monoproce or an Emotiva, but looking around I see mixed reviews. Can anyone comment on alternative manufacturers or give me some pointers as to options and things to consider?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

Golfx

Forum Donor
I too have a 7.2.4 system using Denon avr a110 as a prepro. I use Anthem MCA 325 to drive front three. I use Anthem PVA 8 to drive the other 8 channels. I tried without success using NAD CI-980 (underpowered) and NAD CI8-120 (too buggy) for the other 8. Anthem PVA 8 is discontinued but I got a new one on eBay for thousand off. I’m finally relaxed and comfortable with these choices.

OP
R

ryanstroeder

I too have a 7.2.4 system using Denon avr a110 as a prepro. I use Anthem MCA 325 to drive front three. I use Anthem PVA 8 to drive the other 8 channels. I tried without success using NAD CI-980 (underpowered) and NAD CI8-120 (too buggy) for the other 8. Anthem PVA 8 is discontinued but I got a new one on eBay for thousand off. I’m finally relaxed and comfortable with these choices.

Very nice setup! Did you find the A110 lacking in output? How sensitive are your speakers that you needed even more wattage!?

Sidenot: My 6700 has been delayed for over 6 weeks due to logistic and availability issues. I can't wait to hook it up!

Golfx

Forum Donor
Thanks for the compliment. I am sure the denon would be fine for my surrounds and dolby heights. I just chose to not use its internal amps to chase the best possible SINAD numbers by disconnecting the internal amps. This would likely be an inaudible improvement but I’m chasing an ideal. The front three are 4ohm Polk Legend L800s and L400. They could operate with less power but the result is satisfying to my inner child. BTW I didn’t think it wise to try mixing 4 & 8 ohm speakers from the same amp.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,

C: Monitor Audio Silver C350 (90 db sens., 8 ohms, 200W RMS power handling) for my centre channel.
Surrounds: Monitor audio FX (87 db sens, 8 ohms, 85W power handling) [I am considering changing these out for more Klipsch R6560W]
Rear Surrounds: Klipsch R6560W II In-wall (93 db sens, 8 ohms, 50W RMS/200W Peak)
Atmos Speakers: Klipsch CDT-5650-C II In-Ceiling (94 dB sens, 8 ohms, 50W RMS/200 W Peak)

I am exploring options to externally power all my speakers to maximize sound performance and using the Denon 6700 as a processor only.

There is so much snake oil and bullshit marketing out there! I am so glad I found this forum!

Currently, I am evaluating reasonably priced options for external amplification and am considering using Buckeye here on this forum. Originally I was considering Monoproce or an Emotiva, but looking around I see mixed reviews. Can anyone comment on alternative manufacturers or give me some pointers as to options and things to consider?

Thank you in advance!

I would get two Buckeyes:

6 channel NC502MP, XLR inputs (Neutrik), Mogami wiring, 12v trigger, Power LED (Blue) = $1549 shipped
6 channel NC252MP, XLR inputs (Neutrik), Mogami wiring, 12v trigger, Power LED (Blue) = $1149 shipped

for the light weight, unbeatable price, and all the power you need. For SINAD, see the ASR review.

Grandzoltar

Forum Donor
BTW I didn’t think it wise to try mixing 4 & 8 ohm
All speakers impedance shifts. As long as the amp is capable of a 4 ohm load there are no issues or settings that need to be toggled.

Golfx

Forum Donor
Regarding impedance. Good to know. I could not get either Anthem or Polk tech support to vouch for safety.

TomekNet

I would get two Buckeyes:

6 channel NC502MP, XLR inputs (Neutrik), Mogami wiring, 12v trigger, Power LED (Blue) = $1549 shipped
6 channel NC252MP
, XLR inputs (Neutrik), Mogami wiring, 12v trigger, Power LED (Blue) = $1149 shipped

for the light weight, unbeatable price, and all the power you need. For SINAD, see the ASR review.

I second this.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Regarding impedance. Good to know. I could not get either Anthem or Polk tech support to vouch for safety.

I guess it depends on how you ask the question, if you include the word "safety" in your question, they might just automatically become gun shy on what they can say legally. Anthem may also be a little scared by your big Polk's impedance, that was specified 2.8 to 4 ohm "range" nominal.

Assuming your surround/Atmos/Height speakers are nominal 4-8 ohms the PVA amp may be fine depending on distance, speaker sensitivity and desired spl from them. It really is not a good idea to mix in with the Polks connected to the PVA amp because they are cleanly not 4 ohm nominal.

The MCA amp should be fine for the 3 Polk SDAs, but still depend on the distance and spl you need. I realize that Anthem now specified outputs into 8, 4 and 2 ohms, but that 600 W into 2 ohm one is a real stretch. It's more likely a dynamic output rating, or a short term rating that they should have stated the conditions more clearly, but their marketing department somehow worded it as though it is a "continuous" rating. Anyone with some basic electrical principle/theory background will know it can't be.

Golfx

Forum Donor
Thanks PENG (yoda). Everything works fine for now. All surrounds and heights are SVS Prime Elevations (grandkid proof). Subs are SVS PB16 ultra and PC4000. Now if I can quit tinkering I’ll be fine.

amper42

Major Contributor
Hello,

Thank you in advance!

I have a Denon 4700 with the Monoprice 7x200 and an Adcom GFA-7000. This combination works great to support all 7.2.4 speakers while the Denon is setup in preamp mode. The Monolith is heavy but it does an amazing job and sounds fantastic. I would not hesitate to recommend it again. In fact, if my Adcom fails I will replace it with a Monolith 5x200.

I purchased a March Audio P452 Purifi based amp for my fronts thinking it may offer another good option, but I found it was not a good match with the Monolith in 9.2.4. The Front Sierra Towers volume levels were lower with the Purifu amp than with the Monolith and Audyssey was unable to match them at all volume levels.

Based on my experience, you could use the Buckeye amps, Purifi or Monoliths but I would strongly suggest using the same brand (or very similar) for all amps on the 9.2.4 setup. If the gain is too different between amps or the gain slope is significantly different it can put the system at a disadvantage where Audyssey can't fully correct the levels.

Top Bottom