• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Explain to me what I'm hearing from 45W to 80W

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are two ways you can integrate PEQ into your system.

1) Use a PC, install REW and a PEQ software and then get a UMIK-1 (USB Microphone) for measuring the speakers and calibrating the PEQ to your speakers requirements for flat response.

2) Use a miniDSP as a PEQ inline between the DAC and the Amplifier. This will require using a single ended connection for connecting the DAC to the mini DSP and then also for connecting the miniDSP to the amplifier. Because you will be using your Apple TV in this configuration as the source the UMIK-1 will not be required unless there is something I don't know but I'm pretty sure it can't be used here.

For #2 alternatively you can use the mini DSP as the DAC and PEQ because it has that capability too.

Stating the obvious here but in this case I would want to keep my DSP in the digital domain and would not want any DSP downstream of the DAC. miniDSP nanoDIGI or OpenDRC-DI would be good all digital options. As a more DIY option a RPi4 + CamillaDSP with a hifiberry digi+ I/O HAT would work well.

Michael

OP
simplywyn

simplywyn

I also use an AppleTV as my primary video source, not sure about your specific TV but mine measurably reduces signal quality. It seems like some TVs have some rather poorly implemented resampling. I've had much better luck with a HDMI extractor. The post linked below has my measurements.

Michael

Wow blew my mind, okay getting a HDMI extractor

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't want to say that it is always the case, I started investigating after I would get the occasional drop out every hour or so. I am not a SINAD obsessor and I can't say that I really hear a difference but the peace of mind is nice.

Michael

OP
simplywyn

simplywyn

Spent some more time with buckeye amp, the amp basically disappears. It's all my Dac and others that I can hear issues with now.

My LS50's on this amp suddenly sound miraculously better, like HOLY COW, reviews were right, theyt almost sound glassy, now I wanna return my Q950 and buy a R5 or R7

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Spent some more time with buckeye amp, the amp basically disappears. It's all my Dac and others that I can hear issues with now.

My LS50's on this amp suddenly sound miraculously better, like HOLY COW, reviews were right, theyt almost sound glassy, now I wanna return my Q950 and buy a R5 or R7
Good to see you found a amplifier that you enjoy and like. :D

OP
simplywyn

simplywyn

It's not bad, but it's definitely given me a taste of high end amps...

OP
simplywyn

simplywyn

Okay, so now that I've had some time with buckeye, and denon, and cambridge audio, I think I can do some ab testing and really understand what's going on.

Denon - flat, detailed, no punch, turning it up just creates distortion
Cambridge Audio - punchy, heavy bass (to the point where you can hear the lack of accuracy), sound feels less accurate but quantity is there
Buckeye - clear as hell, but not as heavy bass in terms of quantity, but more in quality, has incredible power when needed

1 thing I noticed - I could turn the Cambridge Audio up that shakes some items (also shakes the speakers a bit, the stands kinda make a noise) whereas I cannot do the same with Buckeye (Buckeye can get there, but gets too loud), Denon just fails to do anything.

So what's going on here? How is the cambridge audio shaking and creating volume of sound, whereas the buckeye, that's 5x more powerful, is not?

Buckeye is like an HDR experience, in my opinion, and cambridge audio is an SDR experience, just from what I know (I'm more into visual than audio)

Anyone can discuss what's going on? I'm feeding both cambridge audio and buckeye w/ a topping d90, however I believe cambridge audio has its own pre-amp (do i need a pre-amp w/ the buckeye?)

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This post basically answers my question. Is there worth any effort to go to say 200w 8ohm 400w 4ohm? Will there be a difference from going from 45-80?

Power can be misleading. I have had an Adcom GFA-555II which does 850 watts into 4 ohms bridged mono and an Accuphase P-266 which is 55W of class A into 4 ohms.

If I'm listening with Magnepans at high volumes, the Adcom is better because I need the power. If I'm listening with high efficiency JBL horns, then the Accuphase sounds better because I don't need the power and the Accuphase is cleaner.

Areas for audible differences in sound include crosstalk.
- you have some $2-3k integrateds which only have 50-60dB of channel separation at certain frequencies in the audioband
- Most of your listening might be in the 1-5W range. If you look at the AVR-X3700H you'll see that it does better at 5W than even the AVR-X6700H. At higher demands, however, the X6700H is going to do better.

https://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/audio-amplifiers-sound

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay, so now that I've had some time with buckeye, and denon, and cambridge audio, I think I can do some ab testing and really understand what's going on.

Denon - flat, detailed, no punch, turning it up just creates distortion
Cambridge Audio - punchy, heavy bass (to the point where you can hear the lack of accuracy), sound feels less accurate but quantity is there
Buckeye - clear as hell, but not as heavy bass in terms of quantity, but more in quality, has incredible power when needed

1 thing I noticed - I could turn the Cambridge Audio up that shakes some items (also shakes the speakers a bit, the stands kinda make a noise) whereas I cannot do the same with Buckeye (Buckeye can get there, but gets too loud), Denon just fails to do anything.

So what's going on here? How is the cambridge audio shaking and creating volume of sound, whereas the buckeye, that's 5x more powerful, is not?
Higher distortion in the bass. Lets say the recording contains a 30 Hz signal with low harmonics (60, 90, 120 Hz) above. Your speakers may fail to reproduce the 30 Hz and you can hear only the harmonics. This is with a clean amp - if the amp distorts heavily the volume of the harmonics increases substentially so your speakers play louder at 60/90/120 Hz. This gives the impression of more bass.

OP
simplywyn

simplywyn

Higher distortion in the bass. Lets say the recording contains a 30 Hz signal with low harmonics (60, 90, 120 Hz) above. Your speakers may fail to reproduce the 30 Hz and you can hear only the harmonics. This is with a clean amp - if the amp distorts heavily the volume of the harmonics increases substentially so your speakers play louder at 60/90/120 Hz. This gives the impression of more bass.

So it's really the CA distorting at those frequencies (unable to give it the right amount of power) is what I'm really hearing?

Top Bottom