• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Experiment: 600 Ohm HPs + Topping Amp & Old Interface - Possible?

OP
A

audiofilet

If you like the DT990's get the DT990 Edition in 32 ohm and you won't have issues driving it with the A50S.
or buy an amp instead that has higher gain. That'll work too and is cheaper than another headphone.

Only headphones with 2.5mm TRRS or 4.4mm Pentaconn, or XLR-4pin can be used balanced.
One can convert a 6.3mm SE to the 4.4mm Pentaconn but that won't be balanced, it will be using the SE option of the 4.4mm Pentaconn.
I decided against the A50s because of all the information you and the others have provided and instead chose a used JDS Labs EL Amp for around 120 Euros.

Now I have about 200 Euros left for a pair of headphones and I'm looking for used ones.

Is there anything that can beat the DT 990's Treble, low end and sound stage for 200?

Kinda getting to the conclusion that there's nothing else lol

solderdude

Grand Contributor
DT990's have boosted lows and lack subbass.
The treble has a substantial lift.
This is a V-shaped headphone.

The treble lift makes it appear at first glance that it has lots of detail. Downside is some find the treble way too much.
Treble is not grainy/coarse though but rather smooth but accentuated.
Sound stage is not wide. Also not narrow but rather average.

There are many headphones out there that may be to your liking and many that don't.
The ones that don't for you may well be preferred by others and vice versa.

Only your own impressions are the correct ones for you.
Ask in any forum what headphone is best and you get tons of the usual recommendations from all kind of people preferring different comfort and sound.
So no recommendations from me...

If you like the DT990 sound and you have the EL amp the 32 and 250 ohm models (both professional and edition) work fine.

Downside... the foam in the pads can decay rather fast. Upside new pads are easy to get and relatively cheap.

OP
A

audiofilet

Yes, exactly. I have noticed on multiple occasions that people's recommendations are mostly polar opposites. One guy swears by the HD500 series and the next questions that person's sanity for even mentioning them.
Sound quality is definitely, extremely subjective to a certain degree, but there should still be a middle ground where we can all unanimously agree whether something is acceptable or not.

I like the DT 990's yes, but to be honest I don't have a lot of experience with these kind of headphones and I would have probably said the exact same thing about a pair of Sony or AKG overears, trying them for the first time.

You have provided some really sound advice and I'll definitely take it to heart.

DT990 600 Ohm are going back and whatever headphones I choose, they'll definitely be 250 Ohm or lower. With 32 Ohms I'd feel a little stupid buying the Amp since my phone could power those too, if I understand correctly.

Anyway, big thanks for all the sound advice, I really appreciate it! :)

Top Bottom